Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Why Point Shooting?

During the Matthew Temkin point shooting wars on another board or two, I tried it. Took me about 500 rounds to constantly achieve first round hits on 10 inch steel plates at ten yards.

I didn't point shoot for about two weeks and completely dropped the skill set. It was that perishable for me. Thell Reed aside, shooting from count two of the draw stroke if the bad guy is on top of you makes much more sense.

Relevant point shooting video and comments:

http://booksbikesboomsticks.blogspot...be-taller.html

Quote Originally Posted by beltjones View Post
    I always see the point shooting and CAR proponents shooting at distances where literally any shooting technique will work. It's not exactly convincing evidence.
    Gunfights inside phone booths are a rarity, I expect, although perhaps that has happened.
    When I give private lessons, if I need to demo, I use the student's gun. That way they don't think I'm using a tricked out SCCY to be able to shoot well.

Well, as perhaps the only one here who has been actively trained in point shooting, has trained others in point shooting, and seen point shooting extensively used in combat, all I can say is that history seems to reflect a pretty good success rate with the technique. FWIW, I prefer the term "target focused" instead of "point shooting" as I think that more accurately reflects the actual dynamics. As with some of the other discussions here, I think the issue changes quite a bit as one's overall shooting skills change. But for a technique that will quickly teach a newbie to handle probably 90% of the situations they encounter it's pretty effective.
    "PLAN FOR YOUR TRAINING TO BE A REFLECTION OF REAL LIFE INSTEAD OF HOPING THAT REAL LIFE WILL BE A REFLECTION OF YOUR TRAINING!"

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by David Armstrong View Post
    I prefer the term "target focused" instead of "point shooting" as I think that more accurately reflects the actual dynamics.
    David,
    When you say "target focused" are you referring to having the gun in same position as sighted fire, but with your vision focused on the target?

Quote Originally Posted by joshs View Post
    David,
    When you say "target focused" are you referring to having the gun in same position as sighted fire, but with your vision focused on the target
    I'm referring to focusing on the target no matter what position the gun is in. I think that is what actually differentiates "point shooting" versus "sight-assisted shooting" and reduces a lot of the confusion about terminology. If you are shooting through your sights, if you are Fairbairn-Sykes half-hip, or any of the various methods as long as the focus is on the target and that is driving your shot, call it target focused. If you are focusing on the sights (or an alternative sighting method) call it sight focused. I've found that if one discusses it based on position of the gun that there is a lot of disagreement, some of which is really hard to address, about whether one is really using the sights only using them subconsciously or if one is actually aligning the gun through peripheral vision, and so on. Just seems to simplify life for me.
    "PLAN FOR YOUR TRAINING TO BE A REFLECTION OF REAL LIFE INSTEAD OF HOPING THAT REAL LIFE WILL BE A REFLECTION OF YOUR TRAINING!"

Quote Originally Posted by Al T. View Post

Relevant point shooting video and comments:

http://booksbikesboomsticks.blogspot...be-taller.html
    Quote Originally Posted by "Lewis" from Tam's Blog
    The stupid, it hurts.
    Yeah, that about sums up my thoughts.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Point shooting (at full extension, not retention position) takes zero training if you practice hard with your sights. Once you learn how to make fast, accurate hits, using your sights, from a holster, you can point shoot without any real thought. You just rely off your muscle memory and your index.

Anyone who "trains" to point shoot is just looking for an easy way out, regarding their handgun proficiency. Which means you still suck at shooting your pistol.
    JP Visual Design

I think he was rolling weaver
    *ducks and runs for cover before admin sees*
    Fairness leads to extinction much faster than harsh parameters.

Quote Originally Posted by vecdran View Post
    Point shooting (at full extension, not retention position) takes zero training if you practice hard with your sights. Once you learn how to make fast, accurate hits, using your sights, from a holster, you can point shoot without any real thought. You just rely off your muscle memory and your index.

Anyone who "trains" to point shoot is just looking for an easy way out, regarding their handgun proficiency. Which means you still suck at shooting your pistol.
    Sorry, can't agree with that. I've known way too many folks who shot quite well who also trained to point shoot. I don't think the two issues are mutually exclusive.

I just looked up CAR for a refresher on what it is. heres a video of an instructor demonstrating. watch the reload
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SASDcZFCXzQ
    note most of the discussion is about how awesome it is to look like the character from splinter cell

User Tag List