Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: .357 Magnum Duty/Self-Defense Cartridge Recommendations

I've been somewhat surprised at the low amounts and choices of .357 available locally (Seattle Metro area); agreed, 9mm and even .40 are easier to shoot, and semi-autos have reigned supreme for decades, but I still would have expected a moderate demand for .357 defensive cartridges for accumulated legacy revolvers, let alone current ones. In my survey of local retail establishments, the only one that seems to be consistently available in 158 grain is Federal Hydra-Shok. When I spoke with a Federal Tech he specifically recommended the Hydra-Shok over the Federal Blue Box Personal Defense alternative. He also mentioned that in 50 round boxes (code P357HS1G) is't significantly less expensive that the normal retail 20 round boxes (but by the time you factor in shipping and tax a lot of that price advantage is significantly diminished....sigh-it makes more sense if you're ordering in bulk or other cartridges along with it).

Best, Jon

Back in the mid 2000s, I luckily walked into a gun shop that was closing out their 357 Silvertips for $17 a box so I’ve still got five or six boxes left

I used the below to find .357 mag. 145 gr. Silvertip in stock, https://ammoseek.com/ammo/357-magnum...gun-145grains-

I ordered from the second place down, www.grabagun.com & had the ammo in three days. It was my first time using them, but they did not disappoint.

Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    I've been somewhat surprised at the low amounts and choices of .357 available locally (Seattle Metro area); agreed, 9mm and even .40 are easier to shoot, and semi-autos have reigned supreme for decades, but I still would have expected a moderate demand for .357 defensive cartridges for accumulated legacy revolvers, let alone current ones. In my survey of local retail establishments, the only one that seems to be consistently available in 158 grain is Federal Hydra-Shok. When I spoke with a Federal Tech he specifically recommended the Hydra-Shok over the Federal Blue Box Personal Defense alternative. He also mentioned that in 50 round boxes (code P357HS1G) is't significantly less expensive that the normal retail 20 round boxes (but by the time you factor in shipping and tax a lot of that price advantage is significantly diminished....sigh-it makes more sense if you're ordering in bulk or other cartridges along with it).

Best, Jon
    Jon,

I would grab the Hydra-Shoks and go forth. I spent quite a bit of time agonizing over this when I was carrying my GP and 3" M65 regularly. While I prefer Silvertips or Gold Dots, I would take what I could get. We're fortunate, in some respects, that revolvers are able to utilize a variety of bullet types, it makes exposed soft lead, or mixed-medium bullets available that wouldn't work (well) in a bottom-feeder. And case length gives us that dash of extra juice to make those bullets work just as well as modern bonded JHPs from semi-autos that we all love.

I do agree that it is a shame that modern bullets haven't really evolved for the revolvers yet. The closest is the HSTs for .38s and the Gold Dots. The 140-grain Barnes are great rounds, but overkill for 2-legged critters. I'd love to see Federal make a ~145-150 grain HST in .357" size for both .38s and .357s. Such a round should be extremely reliable from a 2.5"+ revolver. Alas, the reality seems to be low demand.

Anyways, I'd confidently carry the Hydra-Shoks or even the blue-box stuff if I knew it shot accurately from my gun.

PS: I do really want to like the Buffalo Bore - 140-grain Barnes Bullet "Tactical" Load - https://www.buffalobore.com/index.ph...t_detail&p=324 - 140-grain bullet at 1250fps should be a sweet spot. I'd love to see some Gel-testing and live medium testing of it.
    Last edited by RevolverRob; 06-01-2018 at 02:11 PM.

On those rare occasions when I actually shoot .357 out of my .357, I like the Federal Vital-Shok. Uses the 140 grain Barnes Expander @ an advertised 1400 fps. I trust the quality control of Federal and figure it has the softest primers available.

Lucky Gunner tested both the Barnes and Federal loading of the 140 Expander. Chrono 1352 and 1300 respectively in a 4 inch.
    Nice expansion and penetration in the clear gel. (For whatever that's worth.)

I carry it in my 3" SP 101.

Self defense against BEARS! Right?

“Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Jon,

I would grab the Hydra-Shoks and go forth. I spent quite a bit of time agonizing over this when I was carrying my GP and 3" M65 regularly. While I prefer Silvertips or Gold Dots, I would take what I could get. We're fortunate, in some respects, that revolvers are able to utilize a variety of bullet types, it makes exposed soft lead, or mixed-medium bullets available that wouldn't work (well) in a bottom-feeder. And case length gives us that dash of extra juice to make those bullets work just as well as modern bonded JHPs from semi-autos that we all love.

I do agree that it is a shame that modern bullets haven't really evolved for the revolvers yet. The closest is the HSTs for .38s and the Gold Dots. The 140-grain Barnes are great rounds, but overkill for 2-legged critters. I'd love to see Federal make a ~145-150 grain HST in .357" size for both .38s and .357s. Such a round should be extremely reliable from a 2.5"+ revolver. Alas, the reality seems to be low demand.

Anyways, I'd confidently carry the Hydra-Shoks or even the blue-box stuff if I knew it shot accurately from my gun.

PS: I do really want to like the Buffalo Bore - 140-grain Barnes Bullet "Tactical" Load - https://www.buffalobore.com/index.ph...t_detail&p=324 - 140-grain bullet at 1250fps should be a sweet spot. I'd love to see some Gel-testing and live medium testing of it.
    RR (and others-thanks, all), at the end of the day, that's exactly what I did; I went with the Hydra-Shoks, which I found at a decent price locally. While the Winchester 145 gr Silvertips are probably "the best," especially given the credibility and experience of those recommending them, I think the Hydra-Shoks will adequately get me through the night, metaphorically speaking.

I also like their slightly pointed bullet nose configuration, which as previously mentioned in the thread should slightly aid in reloading (both from speedloaders and Speed Strips).

And speaking of Speedstrips, I found that their urethane does degrade over time; my two oldest ones, which are probably at least 10-15 years old, had both cracked at their ends, with the tongue of one actually fallen off. Since I'd kept 'em pretty much permanently in the cases I was using, and using my others for match use, I now realize that now I have another piece of equipment to regularly check...

Thanks again for everyone's contributions to this thread; it's all been exceptionally helpful to me. I suspect I'll keep the GP100 set up for 158 gr .357 magnums, and keep my Security Six set up for .38 Special 125 gr +P (Remington Golden Sabers for carry, Remington/UMC SJHP for matches/practice.

And for two days running I've found myself examining GP100 Match Champions (the fixed-sight {Novak} variant)...this likely won't end well...Especially since for some unknown reason I continue to long for the 4" half-lug fixed-sight GP100 that I foolishly (in retrospect, of course) traded off for something I just had to have at the time (to my recollection it was a partial trade for a SIG P210-6)...

This entire process ended up involving a fairish amount of effort and consumed bandwidth for something that I'll likely only compete with (and concurrently carry) for a couple of months at best out of the year. But I think it was worth it, and my confidence and education have increased because of it-hopefully others on p-f benefited as well.

Best, Jon
    Last edited by JonInWA; 06-06-2018 at 03:36 PM.

User Tag List