Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: .357 Magnum Duty/Self-Defense Cartridge Recommendations

Thanks, guys-that's exactly the information I was looking for.

So far, it sounds like the leading contenders are Federal Premium 158 gr, Federal HydraShok 158 gr, Winchester Silvertip 145 gr, and Remington 158 gr.

Since when I carry a revolver my reloads normally consist of 1 Speed Strip carried strong-side in an upsidedown Galco pouch on the strong side hip (immediately ahead of the strong-side holster), 2 Speed Strips carried in a Tactical Tailor Phone Case pouch (normally carried on the weak side hip), and one Safariland Speedloader carried loose in a strong-side jacket or pants pocket, Chuck's comment about the HydraShoks being a bit easier to load due to their shape and lack of exposed lead make excellent sense. Their muzzle velocity (1240) is also close to the S&B's (1263), so that should provide both a similar POA/POI and feel is my thought.

Keep the thoughts coming, guys-great input and much appreciated. Hey, who else but p-f can come up with with relevant .357 magnum effectiveness updates with the credibility of this thread's participants?!

Best, Jon
    Last edited by JonInWA; 05-28-2018 at 08:54 AM.

And it sounds like that while my Hornady Custom 158 gr XTP is an excellent hunting round, due to its performance and penetrativeness, it's probably bit overly penetrative for me as a duty/self-defense cartridge, particularly if used when non-threats are in the immediate or close proximity to threats.

Best, Jon

What about the 158gr Gold Dot?
    " La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

Site Supporter
    Another vote for the WW 145 STHP. It was the issue .357 load for lots of agencies back in the heyday of the .357 Magnum revolver and was used in dozens of OISs just here in the Dallas area alone. There were few rounds needed and few survivors of the experience. Having seen it used on whitetails several times, I can say it's simply excellent. I wonder how the 158 GDHP works as it seems like a nice juncture of known good construction, standard weight and decent velocity. Speer loaded a 140 JHP back in the day that was also an excellent performer.

I'd like to see a well constructed 135-145 grain .357 load at about 1100 fps in a 3" barrel that would be controllable and that showed good penetration and expansion at moderate pressures. Seems like the Gold Dot would be an obvious choice for this.
    Last edited by Wayne Dobbs; 05-28-2018 at 11:28 AM.
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

While I didn't carry one of those little baby sub caliber .357's on duty...., I did carry a 3" Model 13 as both a back up and off duty and it was stoked with Silvertip, just like my .45 Colt duty revolver. For some reason, Silvertip was a MUCH better revolver round than an auto round. Silvertip in various revolvers tended to just drop crooks. We never had anything other than one stop dumps in .45 Colt, and the .357 version was fairly legendary for taking the fight out of bad guys. These days, when I do carry .357, I am using Gold Dot. It is consistent with what I carry in .38. I use the GDHP in my N frames.

Like Wayne said, a well constructed .357 at 1100 from a 3" is a solid formula.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Dobbs View Post
    I'd like to see a well constructed 135-145 grain .357 load at about 1100 fps in a 3" barrel that would be controllable and that showed good penetration and expansion at moderate pressures. Seems like the Gold Dot would be an obvious choice for this.
    I agree with the concept and would be happy with the upper end of the suggested weight. IME the lower end weight-wise leaves those of us with fixed-sight .357s flapping in the wind since there's too much difference between POA and POI. I tried the GDSB .357 load in my M13-2 and it just hits too low. Adding 20 grains to the current GDSB bullet and pushing it at ~1050-1100 fps would be perfect for older fixed-sight K frames. I don't know what it would do with newer/current ones.

FWIW, here are the places that have Winchester 145 gr. Silvertip in stock.

https://ammoseek.com/ammo/357-magnum...gun-145grains-

Site Supporter
    @LOBO - Thanks!

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    I agree with the concept and would be happy with the upper end of the suggested weight. IME the lower end weight-wise leaves those of us with fixed-sight .357s flapping in the wind since there's too much difference between POA and POI. I tried the GDSB .357 load in my M13-2 and it just hits too low. Adding 20 grains to the current GDSB bullet and pushing it at ~1050-1100 fps would be perfect for older fixed-sight K frames. I don't know what it would do with newer/current ones.
    Sounds like a great load to me!
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

I'm curious about the OAL of the .357mag 140gr X-Bullet loaded by Federal. Because its all copper, I wonder how close it is to 158gr.

I gotta be honest, I think it is probably the best .357mag offering going, when talking full house.

I kick myself when I think of those cheap cases of 165gr Remington Core-Lokt and 180gr Winchester Partition Gold that CDNN was selling for dirt cheap many years ago.

A caution about the 145gr Silvertip of today versus yesterday; the old Silvertips were aluminum jacketed, but the Silvertips of today are just the old Super-X JHP painted silver.

User Tag List