Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: .357 Magnum Duty/Self-Defense Cartridge Recommendations

Site Supporter
    Although I as a non l.e. guy have always been comfortable with the .38 Spl, I'm aware that many experts say that research findings don't support my choice. I agree with the data. In my old age, if I do give advice, I say use as much gun as you can handle. My fudd side allows me even to accept a single action .45 Colt as an occasional vehicle gun, but I hesitate to recommend such to someone else.

Quote Originally Posted by JAH 3rd View Post
    Have ya'll heard the yarn of a .357 magnum going through an engine block? Remembered that from 40 some years ago.
    Oh yeah, I remember that well; I decided to test it once. We went back and forth with Detroit as to which city had the highest rate of auto thefts in the nation, and a wooded area a few miles from home was a favorite spot for stripping and dumping them. I wandered out there one day and found a car that had been there a few years. The 357 was worthless on the engine block. It merely made a splash. An old Colt SP1 with what was probably M193 worked fine,though. That would have been sometime between 1969 and 1971.
    Last edited by RichY; 05-27-2018 at 08:23 PM.

Firearm and ammo advice is always welcomed from individuals on the front line so to speak. Experience and results speak volumes. Pistol/revolver choice is a personal preference. Just practice and be proficient with what you shoot.

Quote Originally Posted by RichY View Post
    Oh yeah, I remember that well, I decided to test it once. We went back and forth with Detroit as to which city had the highest rate of auto thefts in the nation, and a wooded area a few miles from home was a favorite spot for stripping and dumping them. I wandered out there one day and found a car that had been there a few years. The 357 was worthless on the engine block. It merely made a splash. A old Colt SP1 with what was probably M193 worked fine,though. That would have been sometime between 1969 and 1971.
    Thanks for sharing!

Quote Originally Posted by JAH 3rd View Post
    Have ya'll heard the yarn of a .357 magnum going through an engine block? Remembered that from 40 some years ago.
    I bet modern ammo against a small I-4 from the last couple decades might have a chance. I bet the idea mostly comes from the bullet going through the engine bay and whoever just assuming it went through the block.
    Last edited by Bigghoss; 05-27-2018 at 09:52 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

There used to be metal tippped and metal penetrating loads for 357. The latter used a heavy convetional jacket that was pointed shape. They may have been what was used to poke holes in engines. I dont think it could be done any old place, but a thin spot over a water jacket area may be thin enough to crack or hole. I shot several engine blocks with different calibers and loads, where you hit them made a big difference if it holed them or just made a smear, even with 45-70 loads. Just black powder 45-70, fwiw. Some were 75 grs 3f with 300 gr Hornady jacketed. If the right spot wasnt hit, it didnt work. I believe most high velocity rifle loads work better.

I suspect the whole "shoots through an engine block!" thing was PR and hype from the day more than repeatable fact.
    Last edited by Malamute; 05-27-2018 at 10:27 PM.

Guys, the info and anecdotal discussions are great, but remember what I'm seeking is a carry .357 magnum cartridge that will be in synch zero-wise with the 158 grain .357 magnum cartridges (Sellier and Bellot) that I'm using in the match.

I already know that a 125 grain .357 magnum is probably the best-performing defensive cartridge, and I already know the benefits of .38 Special +P. That's not what I'm seeking in this thread.

Best, Jon

The Win 145 gr STHP was an excellent performer and very popular with LSP back in our mag days. It might hit close to POA/POI with your 158 gr.

Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    Guys, the info and anecdotal discussions are great, but remember what I'm seeking is a carry .357 magnum cartridge that will be in synch zero-wise with the 158 grain .357 magnum cartridges (Sellier and Bellot) that I'm using in the match.

I already know that a 125 grain .357 magnum is probably the best-performing defensive cartridge, and I already know the benefits of .38 Special +P. That's not what I'm seeking in this thread.

Best, Jon
    I used to think the 125gr JHPs were the best performers. I've since changed my opinion.

I'd look at this; https://www.federalpremium.com/ammun...revolver/c357e

or this; https://www.federalpremium.com/ammun...shok/p357hs1#4

The Hydrashocks load into a wheelgun rather nicely from a speedloader or strips due to the conical shape and no exposed lead.

Since Mag Tech and S&B are so closely tied, you might also look at this one; https://www.luckygunner.com/magtech-...ag158sjhpmt-50
    Last edited by Chuck Haggard; 05-28-2018 at 08:22 AM.
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    I used to buy 110 grain ammo which recoiled less, bit I have no published data on effectiveness. I liked it, though.
    The 110gr .357s and .38 +p+ loads performed poorly in real life. Wayne Dobbs has also noted this trend.
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

User Tag List