Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Advice for Travel to Haiti?

Site Supporter
    BWT has great advice.

Don't dress to stand out as wealthy, be extremely cautious about cabs (research who to use), keep your head on a swivel, don't make yourself seem paranoid but aware enough to not invite trouble (not being an easy victim).

Also always have a plan for what to do in case something goes south.

Where will you be in Haiti? Port-au-Prince is very different to the countryside.

- Visit your doctor to get the shots you need.
    - I had my luggage stolen at the airport right after I pulled it from the belt before I went through customs and I'm used to the third world and was alert. I recommend not checking anything and putting everything in a backpack.
    - My malaria medications where in the stolen luggage. Recommend getting your doctor to give you more than you need and having it in multiple locations.
    - How are you getting around? Does you company have a trusted hotel and employee to pick you up form the airport. How are you going to verify the person picking you up.
    - Be prepared for a "blast" as you exit customs. You will be bombarded by hookers (don't get cleaver say you are gay like I did - they will find a dude...), taxies rides etc.
    - Cell phone coverage is pretty good even in the countryside. Don't expect wifi. Don't expect power and water 24/7. Take baby wipes and hand sanitizer. Be prepared to shower with a bucket of cold water. It's not that bad.
    - Get a Haiti cell phone/data plan
    - Dress down in earth tones. If you are white you will stick out but don't stand out more than you have to. If you are white some people will be very upset with you - it's a strange experience.
    - Haitians are people like everywhere. You will find some really great life changing friends and hit some real turds. Be prepared for people working you for money or whatever. You cannot blame people that have nothing.
    - I'd warn you against getting into bed with anyone. Aids is high. It will expose you to risks. Plus you are dealing with some dirt poor people - just don't take advantage. The women are stunning - just warning you.
    - The hospitals are horrific. Don't get into an accident and have good insurance and a life flight out.
    - Be prepared for some really hard things to deal with. Starving kids. People in agony on the steps outside hospitals. Some of those things stay with you. Just be prepared to not be able to help everyone you meet.
    - Creole is basically simplified French. If you have some French you will be good. Just English can be a problem.
    - It's not America. There are not warning signs around holes etc. It's hard to explain but everything is sharp in the environment. Take a boo boo kit with antspetic cream.
    - Don't or drink anything that is not from the hotel or some trusted vendor. Pack drugs for getting an upset stomach.
    - The people at the top are doing really well. If that is the circle you are running in, besides power and supply problems, it will be good. They are well educated etc. You will be safe if you are under their umbrella.
    - Most of the firearms I saw where shotguns. There are a lot of knives and machetes.
    - If you are white and go to some remote areas where the locals are not used to white people, the kids will want to spend all day playing with your hair.

That's just my stream of thoughts. Let me know if you have any specific questions.
    Last edited by underhook; 05-25-2018 at 05:13 PM.

Site Supporter
    I would also add to ubervic's point that it depends on where you go. There's some areas that look like the nicest malls in the U.S. other areas look like it's the poorest country in the Western Hemisphere.

Get your malaria, typhoid, tetanus vaccines and if you're trying for kids; you'll have to wait 6 months because you may be exposed to Zika (not common and no one with us got it but just it is active there). Just an FYI.

Just going to shoot from the hip here. Don't bring things that you're not okay having lost or stolen; family heirlooms or your iPad may not be a bad idea to leave at home. Expensive watches or other jewelry. Again, average person makes $409 per year so, a $800 iPhone is pretty space age.

Don't go out in the general population by yourself (again depends on where you're going); I wouldn't go out in the markets, etc. alone. I'm not saying this to scare you but candidly, abductions in Haiti were an issue. Not a huge one, but it wasn't unheard of either...

I would say bring the strongest mosquito repellant you can find; I had to apply every 6 hours when it was rated for 8. I didn't need sunscreen, but probably not a bad idea either. Bring hand sanitizer I brought a big bottle and several small bottles and just re-filled my small hand sanitizer that I kept in my pocket.

When you come out of the airport and are in the airport this is probably going to be the craziest time. So it's important to just keep your wits about you there and again, keep your luggage in hand, your passport, etc. held closely, etc. You will have to haggle to get your stuff back. If they pick your luggage up from the ground and put it in your car, expect to tip. If you ask for directions, expect to tip. If you tip someone, expect to tip the person standing next to them.

I would bring lots of small bills if you do bring cash such as 1's, 5's, and maybe 10's. They do take U.S. currency, and honestly how we did it was if you wanted to buy something; you told one of the translators or the pastor, etc. we were with and he would approach that person to buy it.

Practical example: Getting out of the airport they helped move our luggage the TSA people, directed us to grab our luggage and told us to put it all in one area. These are legitimate employees, guess who ended up paying them?

We go out past the area with literally hundreds of Haitians walking to where the bus is, we're followed by a group of people there to help us; I load the stuff with some others in the back of the bus. I assumed they were with us. Guess what, they weren't but they felt comfortable basically getting almost in the vehicle with us and handled it. I ended up tipping them. I had a 5 and gave the other guy a $5.

If you bring out cash at any point in time; it is like blood in the water in that environment. Out of the city/airport; it's more normal.

I would learn a little bit of the greetings as that shows honestly you're trying and I think that does mean something. Do yourself a favor and try to learn some of the language. I think you'll have a much better experience just tell them you're trying and be ready to laugh at yourself. I think it builds your credibility with the people there. It's a very formal society despite being also impoverished. Women wear full-length skirts, etc. It's kind of very old-fashioned.

They're going to give you a little tear-off thing in the airport; you will need that to leave the country after entering. Do not lose that or your passport.

By the way there were people there that spoke English that were with us for days (literally days while doing medical missions); that did not say they spoke English. So... watch joking or any side comments about the people there or conditions assuming they don't speak English (just about conditions like "Hey, there was a cock roach the size of a dog in that bathroom" or whatever). But at one point we didn't have an interpreter and one of them indicated she was fine filling in and started speaking English. Just an FYI.

I say all that and it could paint a very bad picture.

But, what I also saw was people that slept on counters in that church facility and floors so we could sleep in beds. They gave us food that was better than theirs. They did the best to love us and honor us at the facility that they could, and I felt immensely grateful to have been there with them. We had no idea they were doing all of that. I saw people that went out of their way to respect us very deeply, and were very kind.

Also, the traffic's crazy; it can not be explained but only experienced.

I also saw that basically every store has a security guy carrying a shotgun, AR-15, or some kind of Long-arm.

The gravity of pulling out hand sanitizer and sharing it with the guys there; I realized... in that situation they shared everything. It was kind of like a "we're in this together"; I've never given 10-ish people hand sanitizer before.

I'm very grateful that I got to go there and honestly, I'd go back in a heart beat. You'll have a blast.

If you have any questions, feel free to PM me. I'll be driving to Georgia tonight; I'll PM you my number I'd be happy to advise while in Atlanta traffic.

I pray it's a great trip and you see a lot. I'll tell you this; I'm very happy to be an American and I'm very grateful. I've never been so grateful to see a TSA person in my entire life; going into the Atlanta airport's bathroom I felt like I was in a Royal Palace after being in Haiti. We're so incredibly blessed here man. It's insane.

God Bless,

Brandon

Quote Originally Posted by BWT View Post
    I pray it's a great trip and you see a lot. I'll tell you this; I'm very happy to be an American and I'm very grateful. I've never been so grateful to see a TSA person in my entire life; going into the Atlanta airport's bathroom I felt like I was in a Royal Palace after being in Haiti. We're so incredibly blessed here man. It's insane.
    BWT - sounds like we had similar experiences. Where were you? I went to Port A Prince and Jacemel.

It takes me a while to decompress when I come back. I have a mixture of luxary but I also miss the freedom. No more ridding around on the roof of a Tap Tap (pickup) or climbing on hotel roofs. No more cock fights with Jean Claude Van Dam movies on a black a white tv!

Site Supporter
    Thanks. I will be there for three days - traveling in on Tuesday and back out on Thursday. I don't expect to leave the Port Au Prince area and should be with what is probably that top 15% type - lawyers and some government officials. Unfortunately, no time to get any kind of vaccinations or medication before I go. Best I can do is water purification tablets and crossed fingers on that front. I literally just found out late this morning tht I'd be going and with the lack of time and the holiday weekend, it's just not going to happen. I appreciate all of the advice and will come back to this and re-read later this evening. Thanks!

Solid advice so far.

I've never been to Haiti, but I'd suggest the basic precautions for travelling anywhere sketchy:

Do a thorough map recon beforehand. get the lay of the land, and figure out where the embassy is located, airport, hotel, etc. This will help you get orientated as soon as you hit the ground, it will help you recognize if you're being transported in the wrong direction (taxi etc). And lastly, you'll know where to go if you get into trouble. Try to memorize this info, but I like having hard copy maps too in case electronics fail or are unavailable.

Not sure about the weapons laws, but you may want to consider a small folder or a fruit knife. Possibly pepper spray. (If you choose to carry on all your luggage, ignore this). I'd take a good edc flashlight too.

If you wear a watch, make sure it is cheap and looks cheap. I nearly lost a Gucci watch to a pickpocket in SE Asia (my fault for wearing it).

Hide a a small stash of cash and a credit card somewhere on your body, away from your main wallet and backpack etc. Contingent Group recommends under the insole of your shoe, but I haven't tried this.

Have contact numbers for your people on the ground and the embassy, Write them down. As with the maps, hard copies will be useful if you lose your phone, or the battery dies, etc.

Take a small first aid kit with the basics.

Have check-in procedures with trusted folks.

If you're high risk for abduction (i.e. you have high net worth or you're a high visibility individual) you may want to consult with a firm that specializes in this kind of travel security. If you're an everyday dude, never mind.

Please let us know how it goes, and what you learned.

God speed.
    Last edited by Mark D; 05-25-2018 at 06:02 PM. Reason: Cleaned up

I’ve been to port au prince 3 times, in the early 2000’s so many things have likely changed.

I agree with all the previous recommendations, but will add that you should carry a flashlight at all times as power can go out unexpectedly.

And keep in mond that private medical facilities are vastly better than public.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by underhook View Post
    BWT - sounds like we had similar experiences. Where were you? I went to Port A Prince and Jacemel.

It takes me a while to decompress when I come back. I have a mixture of luxary but I also miss the freedom. No more ridding around on the roof of a Tap Tap (pickup) or climbing on hotel roofs. No more cock fights with Jean Claude Van Dam movies on a black a white tv!
    I was in Croix De Bouquets, Haiti for a week back in November.

We were in a bus for travel which we were very fortunate.

I enjoyed it a lot. I realized how long showers we take and other things and I just felt very fortunate.

Did not sleep much, but for some reason I had energy while I was there. It was definitely a very busy week.

Did you go for a mission’s trip or other?

God Bless,

Brandon

Use a condom. On second thought, double wrap.
    I like my rifles like my women - short, light, fast, brown, and suppressed.

Site Supporter
    My plan is to simply keep it under wraps.

User Tag List