Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Advice for Travel to Haiti?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Erik View Post
    My plan is to simply keep it under wraps.
    Now that's funny!

The advice in this thread has been amazing . PF is a great place.

Only thing I can add is that when you get tired, you can get lazy. I found myself doing it today around Mexico City but thankfully no one saw it. Now I'm back at my GFs place and I'm hunkered down for the night with pan dulce.
    Last edited by TheNewbie; 05-25-2018 at 10:21 PM.

@BWT - how was Crox De Bouquets? If memory serves it's still suburban Port Au Prince and I found the whole city two intense for me. As you've commented the traffic is incomprehensible. I felt like a bomb had been detonated on every street but then there there always seamed to be people immaculately dressed walking with dignity through it.

Quote Originally Posted by BWT View Post
    Did you go for a mission’s trip or other?
    I went as a medic on a mission trip but I'm an atheist. It become quite the joke as I think I was the only atheist westerner in the country at the time and as all my clothes had been stollen I was dressed in Christian donation t-shirts.

This is stretching the thread, but I came to understand how the family unit just does not exist there. Men wander from women to women and semi evict the kids from the last relationship. I admired what the missionaries were doing there with education and family values. That is the only way I see the place lifting over time. The voodoo religion is not serving them well.
    Last edited by underhook; 05-25-2018 at 10:46 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by underhook View Post
    @BWT - how was Crox De Bouquets? If memory serves it's still suburban Port Au Prince and I found the whole city two intense for me. As you've commented the traffic is incomprehensible. I felt like a bomb had been detonated on every street but then there there always seamed to be people immaculately dressed walking with dignity through it.

I went as a medic on a mission trip but I'm an atheist. It become quite the joke as I think I was the only atheist westerner in the country at the time and as all my clothes had been stollen I was dressed in Christian donation t-shirts.

This is stretching the thread, but I came to understand how the family unit just does not exist there. Men wander from women to women and semi evict the kids from the last relationship. I admired what the missionaries were doing there with education and family values. That is the only way I see the place lifting over time. The voodoo religion is not serving them well.
    While I may disagree with your lack of belief, I admire your good values and actions. This is what matters most to me. Thank you for what you did.

How prevalent is HIV/HEP C there? Who is the most affected ?

HIV rate is around 2 percent which is surprisingly low. I don't remember the Hep C rate. A and B are a real issue with A being the easier to get through normal behavior - food and water. It was my first experience with cholera which is particularly nasty to witness.

Ironically, I understand Hep C and Cholera were brought into the country by UN peacekeepers. It's incredible that a country could have such bad luck.
    Last edited by underhook; 05-25-2018 at 11:14 PM.

State says:Haiti
    Haiti - Level 3: Reconsider Travel

Reconsider travel to Haiti due to crime and civil unrest.

Violent crime, such as armed robbery, is common. Local police may lack the resources to respond effectively to serious criminal incidents or emergencies. Protests, tire burning, and road blockages are frequent and often spontaneous.

The U.S. government has limited ability to provide emergency services to U.S. citizens in some areas of Haiti. U.S. Embassy personnel must receive permission from the Embassy security officer to travel to some areas of Port-au-Prince. Embassy employees are discouraged, and in some instances prohibited, from walking in city neighborhoods, including Pétion Ville. After dark, Embassy personnel are prohibited from visiting establishments without secure, on-site parking. Travel outside of Port-au-Prince is prohibited after dark. Embassy employees are under a curfew from 1:00 a.m. to 5:00 a.m. The use of public banks and ATMs by Embassy employees is prohibited at all times. Embassy personnel are prohibited from using any kind of public transportation throughout the country.

Read the Safety and Security section on the country information page.

If you decide to travel to Haiti:

Avoid demonstrations.
    Arrange airport transfers and hotels in advance, or have your host meet you upon arrival.
    Do not physically resist any robbery attempt.
    Visit our website for Travel to High-Risk Areas.
    Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
    Follow the Department of State on Facebook and Twitter.
    Review the Crime and Safety Report for Haiti.
    U.S. citizens who travel abroad should always have a contingency plan for emergency situations. Review the Traveler’s Checklist.
    Last edited by Drang; 05-25-2018 at 11:15 PM.
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Drang View Post
    While this was true and it was intense while I was there. That was effective January 10th, 2018.

They had elections in the fall and were protesting living conditions while we were there in the city. Apparently that’s normal for that time of year depending on how crops performed.

I’ll type something up hopefully from a PC and tell more.

God Bless,

Brandon

While this was true and it was intense while I was there. That was effective January 10th, 2018.
    Name:  Screenshot-2018-5-26 Haiti.jpg
Views: 310
Size:  49.8 KB
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

This is not the Haiti I remember, but unfortunately, things have been getting worse and worse for a number of years now. I would indeed reconsider traveling there.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Drang View Post
    Name:  Screenshot-2018-5-26 Haiti.jpg
Views: 310
Size:  49.8 KB
    Apologies.

God Bless,

Brandon

Apologies.

God Bless,

Brandon
    No need. The first link only went to the "travel advisories", I didn't think to check the others myself.
    Glenn Reynolds

User Tag List