Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Advice for Travel to Haiti?

Quote Originally Posted by Erik View Post
    Unfortunately, no time to get any kind of vaccinations or medication before I go.
    This was a hilarious joke. Find an urgent care clinic that's open this weekend.

Site Supporter
    Quick update, now that I’m back. The trip was good. I traveled with a client and we were working with a local lawyer who is very well off so my experience was a little different than others might have. We stayed in a pretty nice hotel in Petion-Ville, which I am told is the high end neighborhood. All I can say is, the people who live well in Haiti live extremely well, but the world just outside their front gates is third at best. Doing business in Haiti is definitely interesting too. We didn't get outside of Port Au Prince this trip but I expect to go back and I'd like to see more of the island when I do.

It was a little surreal driving around Port Au Prince in a late model Range Rover over streets that literally look like they've been bombed out. Some roads are paved but many are not and a lot of them are so bad I wouldn't have thought they were passable but they are heavily traveled by everyone as part of the regular, day-to-day routes. A couple of white guys in suits in a silver Range Rover get a LOT of attention ranging from startled looks (kind of like I get when I wear an eye patch instead of a false eye) to really aggressive panhandling. A couple of white guys dressed like dirtbags on foot also get a lot of attention, but less panhandling and more obvious hustling. It didn't help that the guy I traveled with is one of those people who likes to engage with the locals in all the ways they tell you not to - giving to beggars, buying from street vendors, etc. He got his sneakers cleaned by some guy with a makeshift shine box because it was fun. I shudder to think what was in the crap that guy rubbed on his shoes. Even the other locals sitting on that corner were looking at me like, WTF? On the upside, the shoe shine guy was very firm with the nasty whore that didn't want to take no for an answer. She got the Creole version of, "Back off bitch, this fish is mine." At one point a little later in the day, I was pretty sure we were going to have to just just let it happen and get shaken down before we left the local park (that was a not great idea to go into in the first place but it was either abandon him or soldier on), but it was daylight and pretending I only speak English (I have enough French to get by if the people I'm talking to are patient) while we kept moving got us out of that one. At the end of the day, we had a lot of fun and got some good stories so in some ways, he's got the right idea. At least until he doesn't but hopefully I won't be along for the ride on that adventure.

Based on the experience, I think the two most important things I did were absolutely ensure we had transportation arranged in advance and drink only bottled water or water confirmed clean by a source I trusted. I'd say not fucking a hooker was a solid third, but I wasn't going to do that anyway 'cause girlfriend and common sense. With some scrambling, I was able to get some of the vaccinations that are recommended before I left and I arranged for the remainder so that it won't be an issue later, since I'll probably be back there. I also took (am still taking) antimalarial meds, got a z-pack prescription and traveled with immodium, pepto, a small first aid kit, etc. At the end of the day, none of that was necessary but it was good to have on hand and I would certainly bring it all again. Thank you to all who gave advice in this thread. It was very helpful in being prepared.

Glad the hooker experience was not something I brought on myself. As I said, saying you're gay won't work. They will just produce an equally insistent male hooker. Haiti exceeded my verbal agility.....

How did you feel now you've seen that level of poverty? I think Haiti changes you.

Now you are back watch Ghost of Cite Soleil to get that Haiti vibe.

https://youtu.be/Y8Ow-Uh0ZtI
    Last edited by underhook; 06-01-2018 at 01:59 PM.

Site Supporter
    I'll check it out. As far as Haiti changing one, I'd say I agree. The thing that struck me most was that every single person I looked at had to worry about exposure to things that I haven't had to think about ever, even in most of my travels since they're mostly first world. It seems criminal that they don't have a safe water supply. And, frankly, given the level of corruption it is, essentially, criminal.

Sounds like your travel companion was a little on the naïve side, but I'm glad it worked out for both of you. Thanks for the AAR.

Erik, before retiring in 2012 I was a self employed news and sports photographer for 40 years. I have been to Haiti in the best of times and the worst of times. In the best of times you are vulnerable on the street. Whe I went there on assignment I took onlynthe equipment I could carry in a shoulder bag, and it never was out of my touch and sight day or night. Here are some tips .

Temporarily limit the available credit on your credit card to provide what you need.
    Travelers checks are good.
    Carry as little cash as you can, and pay with a travelers check in case you are being observant. Theirves do not like travelers checks.
    Drink only bottled water fro a reliable brand.
    Do not eat in any food service facility that is quaint/local.
    Take anti diarrhea pills.
    Never take a cab that is not called for bynthe hotel or restaurant, etc.
    Maintain situational awareness at all times even in your hotel room. Do not open your hotel door to anyone that you did not summon.
    Pay more and stay in the best hotel you can afford. Sleep and eat there. If they have an airport shuttle use it.

With the all that said, it is is not a war zone, and danger is not around every corner. You have to be smart about self protection but not paranoid.

Finally, have a good time because there are interesting things to see there, but stay away from the Voodo attractions.

As Haiti protests continue, US citizens warned to shelter in place

Saw this story on another board and it reminded me of this thread.
    "You can't win a war with choirboys. " Mad Mike Hoare

User Tag List