Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Advice for Travel to Haiti?

Site Supporter

Advice for Travel to Haiti?

I will be traveling to Haiti on business next week, there for a few days. The trip came up unexpectedly, so I'm looking at prep for it now. I've looked at the State Department and CDC websites and am checking into vaccinations, etc. that are recommended. Aside from don't go, are there any suggestions, tips, etc.? Thanks.

Don't leave the hotel?
    Don’t blame me. I didn’t vote for that dumb bastard.

Site Supporter
    That's an option but there's still the trip to and from the airport...

https://www.cia.gov/library/publicat...k/geos/ha.html

Always worth a quick refresher before you hit the road.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Quote Originally Posted by Erik View Post
    I will be traveling to Haiti on business next week, there for a few days. The trip came up unexpectedly, so I'm looking at prep for it now. I've looked at the State Department and CDC websites and am checking into vaccinations, etc. that are recommended. Aside from don't go, are there any suggestions, tips, etc.? Thanks.
    Glassdoor.com.

Be sure to click “jobs”,and check to ensure they don’t require travel to Haiti.
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

Site Supporter
    I'm an owner and I told me I have to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik View Post
    I'm an owner and I told me I have to go.
    .....goes to Glassdoor.com review section....

“Boss makes unreasonable travel demands of staff members”
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

Site Supporter
    Do not let anyone handle your luggage coming out of the airport - they will expect a tip and if you do not tip stealing your luggage will probably happen. Expect dozens of people to be asking, offering, or grabbing it. White knuckle grip them.

Do not let anyone touch your passport or ticket that is not with the airline. There are people in the airport that will ask for both; they will be in dress shirts with tie. They will hold your stuff ransom; they are not with the airport.

Be polite but direct “No Merci” is something you need to say often.

If you give someone money, hand sanitizer, or a peace of gum; it will be expected that you give some to everyone present.

Do *not* drink the water. Do not. We had people medically evacuated from such bad sickness.

I’ll weigh-in later from a keyboard.

There are awesome people in haiti, but there is also incredible poverty. Don’t resent the people for trying but be aware they are trying. There’s good and bad people just like everywhere else.

God Bless,

Brandon

Site Supporter
    Thank you.

FWIW, if your business involves dealing with the wealthy 10-15% of the population, who control much of the supply chain there, then you’ll be fine and you will be very unlikely to encounter much in the way of unpleasant conditions. If not, then heed the above advice.

User Tag List