Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Good trade? (Model 66-2)

Kind of torn on this one.

Pros

1) Looks like the sideplate has never been removed or was removed by someone with the correct tools. The screws look good.

2) It is stainless, so the finish is not an issue. It can easily be changed with everything from bead blasting to Flitz polish.

3) The parts are worth the asking price. S&W made a lot of them, but they make them no longer. Parts are getting scarce. The flash-chromed hammer and trigger as well as the rear sights are worth a bit on their own.

Cons

1) It has seen a lot of rounds. I would be concerned about end shake and the forcing cone. End shake can be addressed with a few kits. If the forcing cone is an issue, the barrel is scrap. I would get a few more pictures of the forcing cone, ideally after the revolver has been cleaned. The K-frame forcing cone was never designed around the .357 Magnum and is not optimal, especially for light, fast Magnums.

2) That gun was made somewhere between 1982 and 1986, so it is at least thirty-two years old. The last version was made in 2005. Parts are getting more difficult to source.

Personally, I would pass as I have other .357 launchers I prefer, and the revolvers are still common enough to find one locally than you can inspect.

Thanks for the info, everyone! I'm going to do the trade. The pics he sent yesterday showed it cleaned up nicely with an ultrasonic bath, and the forcing cone looks crack-free. He did offer an inspection period, which made me much more comfortable with the deal and will give me a chance to do the tests mentioned in those great links from Drang and Wayne Dobbs.

Quote Originally Posted by DiscipulusArmorum View Post
    Thanks for the info, everyone! I'm going to do the trade. The pics he sent yesterday showed it cleaned up nicely with an ultrasonic bath, and the forcing cone looks crack-free. He did offer an inspection period, which made me much more comfortable with the deal and will give me a chance to do the tests mentioned in those great links from Drang and Wayne Dobbs.
    That makes it a no brainer in my mind.
    Billy

Gunsmith, M/C mechanic, Retired Army, NRA Life Member
    "When you have to shoot...Shoot don't talk" Tuco

User Tag List