Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: NFL Owners: Players Must Stand for Anthem

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar

NFL Owners: Players Must Stand for Anthem

From ESPN.com:

NFL owners have unanimously approved a new national anthem policy that requires players to stand if they are on the field during the performance but gives them the option to remain in the locker room if they prefer, it was announced Wednesday.

The policy subjects teams to a fine if a player or any other team personnel do not show respect for the anthem. That includes any attempt to sit or kneel, as dozens of players have done during the past two seasons to protest racial inequality and police brutality. Those teams also will have the option to fine any team personnel, including players, for the infraction.

"We want people to be respectful of the national anthem," commissioner Roger Goodell said. "We want people to stand -- that's all personnel -- and make sure they treat this moment in a respectful fashion. That's something we think we owe. [But] we were also very sensitive to give players choices."

Goodell said the vote was "unanimous" among owners, although San Francisco 49ers owner Jed York said he abstained. York said that all owners that voted in the process supported the change. The policy will be part of the NFL's game operations manual and thus not subject to collective bargaining. The NFL Players Association said in a statement that it will review the policy and "challenge any aspect" that is inconsistent with the CBA.

NFLPA executive director DeMaurice Smith reacted with displeasure in a series of tweets Wednesday.

"History has taught us that both patriotism and protest are like water; if the force is strong enough it cannot be suppressed. Today, the CEO's of the NFL created a rule that people who hate autocracies should reject," Smith tweeted.

"Management has chosen to quash the same freedom of speech that protects someone who wants to salute the flag in an effort to prevent someone who does not wish to do so. The sad irony of this rule is that anyone who wants to express their patriotism is subject to the whim of a person who calls himself an "Owner." I know that not all of the NFL CEO's are for this and I know that true American patriots are not cheering today."
    I'm through with the NFL, so I'll just enjoy watching all of the problems this will inevitably cause.
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

Site Supporter
    Although I'm delighted to see the NFL take a stand, it solves nothing. The players, raging inside their adoration bubble, will figure something else out.

Everyone being so, "sensitive" is part of the damn problem. Not much of a stand by the organization as a whole. Now 200 pound plus grown ass men need a freaking safe space? Give me a break, personally I never really GAF about the NFL and still don't GAF about the them. I wish we could just move on from all the whining and crying and actually fix some of the legit issues this country has. The players and staff of the NFL would do better by getting out in public interacting with the youth and try to fix some of the underlying cultural issues at play instead of the fake ass Facebook level activism they are participating in. Maybe I'm just cranky from lack of sleep but I am sick of people disrespecting our country and what people have bled and died for to give their privileged asses, (this goes for all). The NFL needs to change the locker room signs, #safespaceforplayers . Maybe they should offer counseling over decision for the new policy.
    Last edited by Mike C; 05-24-2018 at 07:43 AM.

Site Supporter
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Site Supporter
    What's the NFL again?

Much too little, too late. Ditched the NFL as hard as I could for racing over the last couple years and I'm never looking back. Road America blows Lambeau out of the water.

My season tickets are merely a means to a small profit every year. I don't enjoy sitting cramped with drunks cussing at snowflakes for 3 hours. I need good food, the dog, and polite people. Carrying a gun is a bonus.
    Last edited by Peally; 05-24-2018 at 08:21 AM.
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

I hope their ratings get a good bump, if nothing but to send the message that their viewership was in decline due to disrespecting the national anthem. Idiots have been saying the decline is due to boycotts over Kaepernick's unemployment. Imagine that, owners don't want a shitty quarterback from San Fran who started something that cost them boat loads of money. I'm glad there are so many people who were disgusted by those ignorant, unpatriotic players that it forced a limp-wristed administration to actually do something.
    Bob Loblaw lobs law bombs

Quote Originally Posted by Mike C View Post
    Everyone being so, "sensitive" is part of the damn problem. Not much of a stand by the organization as a whole. Now 200 pound plus grown ass men need a freaking safe space? Give me a break, personally I never really GAF about the NFL and still don't GAF about the them. I wish we could just move on from all the whining and crying and actually fix some of the legit issues this country has. The players and staff of the NFL would do better by getting out in public interacting with the youth and try to fix some of the underlying cultural issues at play instead of the fake ass Facebook level activism they are participating in. Maybe I'm just cranky from lack of sleep but I am sick of people disrespecting our country and what people have bled and died for to give their privileged asses, (this goes for all). The NFL needs to change the locker room signs, #safespaceforplayers . Maybe they should offer counseling over decision for the new policy.
    Yep.

These athletes need to go spread the word that you won't get hurt or killed by the police if you immediately STFU and do what the officer tells you to do. Every single person who gets hurt or killed by police has sealed his or her own fate by refusing to comply with at least one command that they were given. I have zero sympathy for them. Zero.

I didn't think it was possible for me to care less about the NFL and this entire ball of shit than I already did, but here we are.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    These athletes need to go spread the word that you won't get hurt or killed by the police if you immediately STFU and do what the officer tells you to do. Every single person who gets hurt or killed by police has sealed his or her own fate by refusing to comply with at least one command that they were given. I have zero sympathy for them. Zero.
    I'm not sure if you intended to or not.

But what you just implied is, All citizens are required to follow the orders of state-authorized actors at all times under threat of bodily injury or death.

That's as un-American, unconstitutional, and Orwellian as it gets.
    Last edited by RevolverRob; 05-24-2018 at 01:21 PM.

User Tag List