Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: Ed Mireles has written a book

Ed Mireles interviewed on Ballistic Radio:

http://ballisticradio.com/2018/06/20...une-17th-2018/
    "The victor is not victorious if the vanquished does not consider himself so."
    ― Ennius

Hammertime
    Enjoyed the book. Thanks for the recommendation.

Quote Originally Posted by Casual Friday View Post
    I was watching old episodes of The FBI Files last night and caught the one about the 86 Miami shootout. It's season 2, episode 13 and called "Firefight". It's on youtube and worth the watch. Mirales is interviewed but he was working undercover at the time so he had a ski mask on. Hearing the account from several that were there is bone chilling. One talks about Platt and Mattix being shot so many times and how they kept fighting. He said "They were dying, they just weren't dying fast enough."
    Chance you could post a link?

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins View Post
    Chance you could post a link?
    Here you go!

Part 2 of the Ballistic Radio interview:

http://ballisticradio.com/2018/06/27...une-24th-2018/
    "The victor is not victorious if the vanquished does not consider himself so."
    ― Ennius

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by Guerrero View Post
    Ed Mireles interviewed on Ballistic Radio:

http://ballisticradio.com/2018/06/20...une-17th-2018/
    This was very good.

Hammertime
    As a heads up, in the book, Ed Mireles states that this training video was most concordant with the events of the day:

I’ve been planning on ordering this book. Glad I didn’t. Tom Givens was kind enough to give me a copy today. Thanks @Tom Givens.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

A great read, written by a true hero.

Ed is an interesting man. I first saw the "Firefight" video as a Tuscaloosa PD officer in initial training (in those days, they trained us for three weeks then put us on the road with an FTO while we waited for an Academy class).

I was fortunate to be hired by the FBI before I went to the Police Academy.

On the first day of firearms training, the classroom had a bunch of name tags in front of seats, I suppose from an earlier symposium. I recognized Ed's name immediately.

I saw, and recognized, Ed at the FBI Academy in my first few days there. Turns out he was a Staff Counselor for New Agents. I was in awe of a true hero and didn't even think to approach him.

Fast forward a bunch of years and he and I were both assigned to the Firearms Training Unit. As fate would have it, he and I spent a good bit of time together driving up and back to FBIHQ in the weeks following 911.

I would not have thought my opinion of Ed could have improved but in that time with him it did.

I highly recommend his book and plan to purchase and read the next book he is writing.

I visited the site of the Miami Shootout in the fall of 2011. I was able to clearly see projectile impacts in the road/sidewalk at that time.

In full disclosure, I was assigned to the FBI Ballistic Research Facility from April 1997 - August 2012. That assignment would not have existed without the FBI recognizing the failures Ed speaks of in his book.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Sherman A. House DDS View Post
    Ordered!

civiliandefender.com
    Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Those were hard times for German tourists...

(Sounds like you were at the Embassy Suites)
    Is that in Liberty City?

User Tag List