Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Ed Mireles has written a book

Ordered.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    I just finished reading Ed Mireles' written account of the Miami shootout.

I re-read it four times.

Ed walks you through the objective facts and his subjective experience of the fight, including his thoughts second to second as the fight progressed, his recognition of how badly he was injured, and the point in the fight where he "snapped" (his words) after recognizing that Platt had executed Grogan and Dove.

The full exposition of all the factors leading up to the fight is valuable information and likely contains many important details you've never heard before.

But the three chapters of this book where Ed walks you through the fight in the most personal way imaginable are amazing.
    3/15/2016

Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post
    In the book Ed describes the environment they were working in thusly:

"The Miami [field office] area of responsibility stretched from Ft. Pierce in the north to Key West in the south, and to Naples in the West. During the year between April 1985 and April 1986 there was a bank or armored truck robbery every day in Miami's territory. Occasionally there were up to five robberies in a single day."

...so, pretty crazy.

There's a reason why Florida passed shall-issue concealed carry laws in 1985 and kept at it until a governor signed it in 1987. It was pretty fuckin' sporty in Florida back then.

Still is, really.
    It was really sporty ! Funny I was talking to Dagga Boy earlier today about revolvers .
    I can vividly remember all of my uncles , cousins and my dad never leaving the house without being heeled.
    Way before permits because that's just the way it was . Usually it was some variation of a model 10 S&W in 2 inch or 4 inch or a Model 37 airweight because that's what they had. One day I'll actually inherent the 2 inch Model 10 that my favorite uncle pistol whipped the shit out of a dude with that tried to force his way into the house when my grandmother answered the door on what turned out to be a overly aggressive soliciter .
    I was in elementary school at the time but I still remember that sound to this day !
    In alot of ways Florida ain't changed much .......

CWM11B
    I just ordered it after reading this thread. Have used this incident when teaching for years. Man, is my reading que stacking up!

I had the privilege of attending a full day training where Ed taught the whole 8 hours. He walked us through the pre, during and post of the fight. Crime scene photos I've never seen anywhere else and his personal thoughts were what really set that training apart vs everything else I've seen or read about it.
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

Waiting for me when I got home today--signed by the author, to boot. Taking a short break at page 55 to add my kudos. You won't be disappointed.

Gotta go--I've got a book to read!

Ordered.

Not a LEO, so no formal introduction to this incident. I read about it as I prepared for my first handgun purchase shortly after getting a real job and turning 21.

It seemed like a no-brainer as a 21 year old, 10mm was the way to go! I am not sure why they even make 9mm or 45 anymore! So as I researched 10mm I ended up reading about Miami. And buying a G20.

...almost 20 years later I don't even have that 10mm anymore but I would love to read more about this incident.

Thanks for the heads up. Hopefully he sells a ton of these books.
    Last edited by rayrevolver; 05-29-2018 at 07:40 PM.

My copy arrived this afternoon. I read it cover to cover without stopping, excellent. This goes right on the shelf next to my copy of Newhall
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Site Supporter
    Highly recommended. The first person experience gives invaluable insights to this watershed incident.

Ordered.

I'm quite familiar with the locale from having lived and worked in the area. This will help flesh out the particulars that have always remained elusive.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

User Tag List