Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: Ed Mireles has written a book

Quote Originally Posted by Buford Boone View Post
    A great read, written by a true hero.

Ed is an interesting man. I first saw the "Firefight" video as a Tuscaloosa PD officer in initial training (in those days, they trained us for three weeks then put us on the road with an FTO while we waited for an Academy class).

I was fortunate to be hired by the FBI before I went to the Police Academy.

On the first day of firearms training, the classroom had a bunch of name tags in front of seats, I suppose from an earlier symposium. I recognized Ed's name immediately.

I saw, and recognized, Ed at the FBI Academy in my first few days there. Turns out he was a Staff Counselor for New Agents. I was in awe of a true hero and didn't even think to approach him.

Fast forward a bunch of years and he and I were both assigned to the Firearms Training Unit. As fate would have it, he and I spent a good bit of time together driving up and back to FBIHQ in the weeks following 911.

I would not have thought my opinion of Ed could have improved but in that time with him it did.

I highly recommend his book and plan to purchase and read the next book he is writing.

I visited the site of the Miami Shootout in the fall of 2011. I was able to clearly see projectile impacts in the road/sidewalk at that time.

In full disclosure, I was assigned to the FBI Ballistic Research Facility from April 1997 - August 2012. That assignment would not have existed without the FBI recognizing the failures Ed speaks of in his book.
    May I ask, what do you tend to carry these days?

Doc, Mas and Mr. Boone on the same forum? This is some kind of "golden age".
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Thanks for the response Mas.

Ordered and looking forward to the read. What a remarkable gentleman.

Thanks for the link.

First copy walked, which I'm fine with, ordered a second copy.

This was one of my "cigar books" a bit ago...VERY good read.
    One of the few books that I've ever read that elicited a physiological response.

Quote Originally Posted by lwt16 View Post
    I ordered one a few days ago and anxiously await it's arrival.

I remember Mas doing a column in (I think) American Handgunner back in the 90s and I'm wanting to say that is where I first read about it. I could be wrong on that and confusing the Newhall incident that he covered but I do remember reading about it somewhere.

I also remember a TV movie that covered it.......thinking it was called "In the Line of Duty" but again, not sure.

I'll be really pleased if my copy is signed as well.
    Ayoob wrote a monthly column in AH and covered both.

His account of Miami was none too flattering of FBI leadership.

When ordering the book, you might contact the site to have it mailed a different method than USPS Media.

The buffoons at my local post office pretty much destroyed the book I ordered. When I complained to the Post Master, I was basically told to pound sand because it wasn't insured or first class mail.

Shipping is $5. So upgrading to priority would be worth it to me.

USPS strikes again!

I had the good fortune to spend the day with Mr Mireles back in September. Our church security team had him come and speak to area security teams. I spent the day shooting with him and our team. I even got the chance to shoot his 686 that he used in 1986!!

You could not meet a nicer person than Ed Mireles!!

User Tag List