Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: The connection between guns ,abortion & religion.

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    113 days until I post my opinion.
    I don't know why folks allow themselves to be drawn into this no-win "discussion". People feel what they feel, the law is what it is, and dare I say that nobody is going to change anyone's mind.

On top of that, some of the posted replies are confounding at best.

Back to my bunker...
    There's nothing civil about this war.

For a minute there, I thought that I was reading a thread on FB rather than P-F.com

Site Supporter
    Obviously many of us disagree here on these issues, but even heated discussion shouldn't stop us from getting along.

I think abortion in most cases is evil, disgusting and immoral. Yet I know there are decent people who believe in a woman's right to choose.*

*- most of these people are not in the pro abortion crowd but simply believe in choice.
    Last edited by TheNewbie; 05-24-2018 at 08:30 AM.

pistol-forum.com
    for Teachers and Students of the Pistol

We need to keep it that way.

Quote Originally Posted by hubcap View Post
    pistol-forum.com
    for Teachers and Students of the Pistol

We need to keep it that way.
    Agreed. I don’t think anything productive can or will come from this thread. This thread is just turning into an abortion argument thread and that’s something people tend to be pretty passionate about. Seems like this thread is destined to be locked.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JCS View Post
    Agreed. I don’t think anything productive can or will come from this thread. This thread is just turning into an abortion argument thread and that’s something people tend to be pretty passionate about. Seems like this thread is destined to be locked.
    That very well may happen but if you want to limit your forum experience to only weapon issues, you can avoid these threads. That's not to sound tacky or smart ass, but that many of us enjoy debate and having our positions challenged.

Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    I hope you’re correct. It's always possible that a productive, contributing member or two will get fed up/pissed off and bail.

If any forum can handle a thread topic like this one, it’s P-F for sure, but history is not kind to the discussion. JMO.
    Three emotionally charged topics to be sure. Too many, in reality, think with their emotions or equate strong emotion with empirical evidence. Pretty obvious in others but a more difficult distinction to make within ourselves. P-F is a pretty adept filtering mechanism most of the time.

Personally, I'd rather appear the idiot (happens often) with a reasoned, dead wrong opinion (also often) subject to change with more information than be a slave to emotional irrationality ultimately resulting closed-mindedness. Closed-mindedness is like self-inflicted stupidity.

The obvious disappointment with these kinds of threads is that they turn from a decent exchange of ideas (absolutely beneficial for all parties involved) into "You're a...." fairly rapidly.

What would Spock do?
    You will more often be attacked for what others think you believe than what you actually believe. Expect misrepresentation, misunderstanding, and projection as the modern normal default setting. ~ Quintus Curtius

Quote Originally Posted by critter View Post
    What would Spock do?

Raise an eyebrow at all this?
    "The victor is not victorious if the vanquished does not consider himself so."
    ― Ennius

Site Supporter
    I understand Stephanie's post. I feel that in discussing gun rights, it is a mistake to bring in the abortion or theological debates. Gun rights stand on their own.

I will share something I saw on a TV interview about abortion.

The pro-abortion person was asked if he was worried about violence against himself (as we know that happens). He said that he carried a 1911 and went on about how it was a great gun. Surprising to me that he went there. The anti-abortion dude started to froth at the mouth and called the pro-abortion dude a gun nut and dangerous. I was taken aback by the conversation.

When a politician decides to tie more crime to having abortions (said in why we had the latest rampage) or less crime (it's in the criminological literature but not strongly supported), they are both full of crap and just spouting their personal beliefs without evidence.

When some cites religion - I mention that there are 1400 known religions on Earth at this time. It's amazing that 1399 are believed by misguided nuts and yours is the correct one.

In any case, they are useless in gun debates. The reasons for gun ownership are the defense of self and relevant others (which is denied by some religions), defense against tyranny and defense of the state (here come the Martians but having renewed reality in European states threatened by Russia).

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    When some cites religion - I mention that there are 1400 known religions on Earth at this time. It's amazing that 1399 are believed by misguided nuts and yours is the correct one.
    Point of order: Not all religions, or all adherents, believe anything approaching that other religions are believed by misguided nuts or are incorrect. There is often more than one path up the mountain, so to speak.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

User Tag List