Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The connection between guns ,abortion & religion.

The connection between guns ,abortion & religion.

My view is each subject is a distinct matter unto itself,both philosophically and politically.

That outlined, it seems that a lot of folks view all three topics as connected; otherwise politicians in the GOP ,self interested people as they are wouldn’t hold that being pro gun also means pro religion and anti abortion.

I’m genuinely curious why people believe those subjects to be connected- no BS,no snark.
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

The three are completely separate issues in my world. Obviously, mileage may vary, though I haven't a clue why.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Site Supporter
    And then there’s the people who think anybody who is pro-life/anti-abortion is also automatically anti-birth control, anti-proper women’s health care, and oh, by the way, doesn’t give a flying kitten about what happens to the welfare babies after they are born.

Correlated things don’t always actually have anything to do with each other, in spite of twisted efforts to make it so.
    Last edited by Duelist; 05-23-2018 at 06:22 PM.

I think if there is any connection there for an individual, it is because for religious people their religion usually governs just about everything in their life. I think that’s perfectly fine, until they expect their religion to start governing things in my life, and then we have a problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

During an ethics class I quickly realized that people who were pro abortion were also anti gun. The irony of that was not lost on me.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    The three are completely separate issues in my world. Obviously, mileage may vary, though I haven't a clue why.
    Personally, I'm the same. Politically, I believe it catches on due to the ability to point the finger of hypocrisy. "Oh you want to ban guns to save children, but you are fine with children being killed in abortions" charges. If you truly believe there is no difference between a school child and a fetus, then the charge of hypocrisy will ring true. If you do see a difference, then it'll likely ring hollow and contrived.

I'm honestly not sure where the line should be drawn on abortion. It's an issue I just don't think I know enough about to have an informed opinion. I don't think it's a "child" as soon as the egg is fertilized, I'm quite sure it's a child when it's viable outside the womb, but trying to put a bright line on when that change takes place? Beyond me.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Site Supporter
    I have a feeling you just want to stir shit up, but perhaps I am wrong and your question is genuine.

The three issues you listed are separate. It would be just as fair to ask "why are an overwhelming majority of Democrats in favor of gun control?" Gun rights shouldn't even be a political issue in my mind. Yet it is to a large extent.

I am conservative in some of my views, more libertarian in others. I certainly don't lump gun rights, abortion, and religion into one issue. When I talk to someone about gun rights I don't drag my pro-life views into the discussion. My pro-life views are not based in religion. I am a person of faith but not religious or beholden to a particular doctrine. I have a strong sense of right vs. wrong that I'm sure shapes my positions on the issues. I have no desire to belong to a "God & Guns" tribe, but I'm not anti-gun or anti-God.

Site Supporter
    Certain stances on all three are associated with conservative philosophy. Hence, politicians seeking support from conservative voters view these as hot button issues.

They are all separate political issues. Hemmed up together by both parties and treated as hot button issues to garner emotional support. It's a classic example of a strawman argument and a perfect example of why neither political party is worth a damn.

"Oh you're pro-abortion, you must hate God and guns."

"Oh you're pro-gun, you must hate women and black people."

What if you're like me?

"Oh you're pro-gun, you must..."

Me: "Mind your own fucking business."

"Oh you're pro-abortion, you must hate..."

"Oh you're not religious, you must be for killing babies..."

There isn't a political party for "Mind your own fucking business and leave me out of your shit." But I sure wish there was.
    Last edited by RevolverRob; 05-23-2018 at 06:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    During an ethics class I quickly realized that people who were pro abortion were also anti gun. The irony of that was not lost on me.
    "Pro abortion" isn't really a thing. Nobody is out there campaigning for more abortions to happen. Much like all of us here want to retain the right to choose responsibility for our own safety, pro choice people want to retain the right to choose what happens in their own bodies, and they don't take kindly to others trying to choose for them. Also, it's definitely not impossible to be pro gun and pro choice - I certainly am.

User Tag List