Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: My Mexico EDC....what do you see?

OK, so here's my "official answers" for what's in the pic.....

CAT Tourniquet and Trauma Dressing , Duct Tape and Sharpie for wound care. (First aid kits are good to have in case of emergency)
    Kevlar thread for cutting zip ties/flex cuffs/tape / etc that I can't just break (loose string in your pockets doesn't raise an eyebrow)
    Metal bodied pens which tend to not break (I might need to write something down like directions )
    Bottle opener ( For Corona and Cokes and Fanta) This and the fruit knife are an easier thing to explain if you can sell a backstory of being a bartender.
    $6 Fruit knife (cortar Limas por mi Corona y Modelo o pelar manzanas, etc)
    Easily found Decoy Wallet full of 1s and pesos worth about $10, expired/compromised and cancelled credit cards, used gas cards.
    Real wallet better hidden
    Small streamlight micro stream and Surefire 6P. (It might be dark somewhere I go)
    lighter (to light the Cohibas I might offer to new "friends")
    Cuff keys well hidden (just in case......)
    Also not seen in the pic is about $50 in USD to grease the wheels of justice and "pay fines on the spot" in case I encounter any entanglements with the local constabulary....

Quote Originally Posted by scw2 View Post
    May be a dumb question, but what is a cigar gun?
    That was a joke. Those are just regular run of the mill Cuban Cohiba cigars.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy Harris View Post
    Just got back from another week in Mexico. Thought I'd post a pic of what's in my pockets and in my clothing.

Attachment 26530
    Where did you go? I'm in Mexico City for the next few days.

I've been thinking about getting an EDC for D.F. since I will likely come here 1-2 times a year.
    Last edited by TheNewbie; 05-24-2018 at 09:54 AM.

We were in Playa Del Carmen....where the ferry bombing was back in February.

Site Supporter
    We were in Playa Del Carmen....where the ferry bombing was back in February.
    How was it? I was there in January. We rented a car and drove all around the state. Was really missing my emergency bag and gun.

It was good. A little hot compared to home this time of year but it was good. Rained a little most days but we were able to hit the pool or beach every day. Went to 5th Ave to look around in shops and eat.

I too missed having all my normal EDC but you just have to do what you have to do..."when in Rome"... Big thing is to pay attention to surroundings and follow the "3 stupids rule" and don't do dumb stuff that you wouldn't do back home and don't come across as an ignorant arrogant American tourist and things will most likely be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by El Cid View Post
    Mine is simple. I don’t go to that $hithole.
    Easy to say, unless one has family there. Family that got there centuries and millenia ago.

There are parts of nearby Houston, Texas, that are more dangerous than most parts of Mexico. The closest I came to being seriously attacked/robbed, if we factor-out my LEO-ing career, was in small-town, rural SE Texas, in rice-farming country.
    Last edited by Rex G; 05-24-2018 at 10:50 AM.

Just got back from another week in Mexico.
    It would also be good to go in Newark, Manhattan, LA, DC, SF...albeit with a lower kidnapping risk.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

A fair assessment for sure.

Site Supporter
    On Sunday I will be going to Iztapalapa (my gf's uncle is a priest there) one of the most dangerous areas in Mexico City. I will certainly be on alert then.

I have found Mexico to be relaxed and enjoyable. I'm on my 6th trip , and I generally avoid the tourist sites. Of course I also avoid Sinaloa, Guerrero, etc.

User Tag List