Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Suggestions for replacement carry piece?

You said metal frame and you like the 92.....

Seems like you should get a 92....

There are some of the S&W older guns that people really like and are solid options but I have no experience with them.

Honestly the p30v3 meets all your criteria except being metal framed.
    If you are open to plastic frames, then honestly I would look at p30 or USPs. People complain about the triggers but honestly they are not as bad as the internet says. P30 also has decocker separate from the safety as you listed. A USP has a little better trigger and you can play with different variants. Put sights on it and honestly just shoot it. There is nothing you have to mess with or mod.

Quote Originally Posted by daved20319 View Post
    My recent foray into the world of DA/SA hammer fired guns has diminished my enthusiasm for striker fired pistols, so I want to replace my Springfield XDs with something slightly larger, a compact vs. a sub-compact. My parameters are pretty basic at this point:

Hammer fired (of course)
    DA/SA
    Decocker separate from safety (not a deal breaker)
    Prefer metal frame
    Double stack magazine
    9 mm
    Budget up to $600 or so

This will be my EDC, so I'm looking for reliability, concealability, and good trigger. BTW, I have fairly large hands, I find the Beretta 92 grip quite comfortable, while a 1911 feels too short to the trigger. TIA.

Dave
    Question: what is it about DA/SA that is drawing you in?

Quote Originally Posted by psalms144.1 View Post
    I've owned most of the pistols referenced here. I'll add my impressions, just for your knowledge:

1. CZ P07 - good size factor - somewhat bigger than the G19, but not huge. Meh trigger, but shoots like a house on fire. VERY limited sight options. Expensive, hard to find magazines
    2. Px4C - better size factor - G19 sized with 15 rounds. Great out of the box trigger, shoots very "flat." Limited sight options. Expensive, hard to find magazines. If you are familiar with and like the 92 safety location, this will be OK, if you don't like slide mounted controls - could be an issue.
    3. P30 - large for capacity. Horrible DA trigger, meh SA trigger. Accurate and reliable. Limited sight options, but better than any of the above. Weird decock placement. Safety positioning is unusual, and hard to "ride" if you're a 1911 shooter
    4. 92 Compact - heavy, wide, 13-round capacity. Great trigger. For all intents and purposes, no sight options (what you see is what you get). Slide mounted safety
    5. Sig P228 - rarer than hen's teeth, so spendy. Replacement parts becoming an issue. Large and heavy for capacity. Decent trigger, accurate and reliable.
    6. Sig P229 - even heavier than the P228 with same capacity.

Of all the above, I'd go with the P07, all things considered.
    Regarding #4 on the Beretta 92 Compact, replacement of the OEM grips with VZ or Langdon thin grips for the 92 Compact will significantly diminish the width and concurrently increase control.
    http://shop.langdontactical.com/vz-g10-ltt-grips/

Best, Jon

Site Supporter
    I like the P239, but is it not out of production now ?

I like the P-07 as well.
    Last edited by TheNewbie; 05-24-2018 at 12:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    I like the P239, but is it not out of production now ?

I like the P-07 as well.
    Another big 239 fan here. And yes, pretty sure SIG has discontinued the 239 in favor of the 225A1.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    FYI the P-07 takes P-10c mags, readily available and not expensive.
    You're correct about cost, but availability I'd wager is regional. I haven't seen a P10C or any accessories in the wild in my neck of the woods yet...

“There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

As far as mags and most accessories are concerned. Its Glock or expensive stuff. Every shop around me has Glock mags/sights/holsters. Some have m&p. But p07/p10c/92/px4 about non existent in the magazine/accessories department. I think any mag over 30$ is not cheap. Thankfully the internet exists. Because we can get most everything to our door in a couple days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by LSP552 View Post
    Another big 239 fan here. And yes, pretty sure SIG has discontinued the 239 in favor of the 225A1.
    True. But... I would think (don't hold me to it) most of the small parts interchange between the 239/225-A1. The barrels are the same. The extractor looks like it's the same. The magazine tubes seem like they're the same (base pads are different, precluding interchangeability). From what I gather, the P225-A1 is pretty much just a re-styled P239. So... you have some of the key stuff still in production.

In any case... it's not like the 239 was a scarce gun. There are lots of 'em out there, and there are probably lots of parts out there.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Trukinjp13 View Post
    As far as mags and most accessories are concerned. Its Glock or expensive stuff. Every shop around me has Glock mags/sights/holsters. Some have m&p. But p07/p10c/92/px4 about non existent in the magazine/accessories department. I think any mag over 30$ is not cheap. Thankfully the internet exists. Because we can get most everything to our door in a couple days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I buy lightly used 92 mags for $10.00/ea, and new ones on sale from Beretta I got were less than $20/ea.

Of course, GLOCK mags are cheap new and used, and available in every store.

User Tag List