Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Suggestions for replacement carry piece?

I wish I could find a p01 omega. That would be my pick esp. with your metal frame requirement. If not go p07 with sights and a few cgw parts. Then buy ammo and carry on. I need to pick up another p07. I was amazed at mine was bone stock.

I loved my px4cc but vey much disliked the stock px4.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    If you like the 92, why not a 92 or 92 compact?
    This was my thought. I shoot my 92 Compact as well as my full size and Centurian. And it carries/conceals somewhat better.

Thanks, guys, lots of good suggestions, and even better, you've reinforced some of my own research. I'm currently leaning heavily towards a CZ, but the Beretta 92 Compact is a close second. Don't know much about Sigs beyond their excellent reputation, with a price to match. Didn't they do something recently that got some noses out of joint?

What can someone tell me about the PX4? I was teamed up with a former LEO at a class last weekend that was shooting one, he seemed to be having a lot of trouble controlling it, muzzle flip seemed really bad. I was consistently outshooting him with my Taurus PT 92, despite it being my first time using it for a class. Beretta claims the design helps reduce muzzle flip, but I sure wasn't seeing it. Of course, it's also possible the guy was just not very good with that particular pistol. Not a bad looking piece, but it ain't got nothing on the 92 . Later.

Dave

Site Supporter
    I have a PX4 Compact. The first time I shot it was the first time I was able to completely track my sights during reciprocation of the slide. They are very soft shooting and flat shooting pistols. I prefer my PX4 over my 92. I also like Beretta triggers more than the trigger on my stock CZ (75 Omega). Regardless, I think that any of these three pistols would be a very solid choice.

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

Site Supporter

I've owned most of the pistols referenced here. I'll add my impressions, just for your knowledge:

1. CZ P07 - good size factor - somewhat bigger than the G19, but not huge. Meh trigger, but shoots like a house on fire. VERY limited sight options. Expensive, hard to find magazines
    2. Px4C - better size factor - G19 sized with 15 rounds. Great out of the box trigger, shoots very "flat." Limited sight options. Expensive, hard to find magazines. If you are familiar with and like the 92 safety location, this will be OK, if you don't like slide mounted controls - could be an issue.
    3. P30 - large for capacity. Horrible DA trigger, meh SA trigger. Accurate and reliable. Limited sight options, but better than any of the above. Weird decock placement. Safety positioning is unusual, and hard to "ride" if you're a 1911 shooter
    4. 92 Compact - heavy, wide, 13-round capacity. Great trigger. For all intents and purposes, no sight options (what you see is what you get). Slide mounted safety
    5. Sig P228 - rarer than hen's teeth, so spendy. Replacement parts becoming an issue. Large and heavy for capacity. Decent trigger, accurate and reliable.
    6. Sig P229 - even heavier than the P228 with same capacity.

Of all the above, I'd go with the P07, all things considered.

I would shoot a P07 first if you have big hands. The trigger breaks really far back. I thought the P07 was the best gun value I have seen. Accurate, reliable, concealable, but it gave me some issues with trigger break location that I have not experienced on other guns. I have XL hands. And no the Large back strap didn't fix it.

Site Supporter
    You said metal frame...

CZ RAMI - Mine is an incredible shooter. And super concealable. Short grip disappears. I'd get the BD--the decocker model. The beavertail tends to poke me a bit when carrying appendix, in certain holsters (when sitting). But it's an awesome gun.

Sig P239 - It's a single stack (8 rd). But fairly slim (esp. in the grip). And it's also an incredible shooter. I've carried this more than anything. 8 rounds feels like plenty, to me. Mags are slim and easy to slip in a pocket, too.

Smith & Wesson 6906/4 - No, it's not in production anymore. But as a compact, doublestack, DA/SA carry gun... I think it has a lot to offer. Love shooting mine. Never had any kind of an issue. The slide is also nice and slim.

Lionheart LH9c - Basically, it has the exact form factor of the Smith 69XXs. But it has the funky DA+ trigger. I don't own this one, but I've heard a lot of good things about it. These are used by the South Korean military... so, solid rep.

I also love the Beretta 92c and PX4c. Own both. Both are fantastically reliable and shootable. But I think the above options are actually more "totable" without giving up that "service grade" sense of quality.
    Last edited by MattyD380; 05-24-2018 at 09:09 AM.

CZ P-01, PCR and RAMI meet most of your requirements except some may sell just above $600. I also own all three and rotate them as my EDC. However, I've upgraded parts in all of them that are known to fail and to ensure consistent performance.

None come close to an XDs profile or weight, so carry method may need to be re-evaluated. I carry them appendix.

Good luck.

Sent from my P01M using Tapatalk

FYI the P-07 takes P-10c mags, readily available and not expensive.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

User Tag List