Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: What would you pay for an intro to pistol shooting class?

Quote Originally Posted by David S. View Post
    Under the circumstances, I wonder if it’s worth running it as a non-profit....
    Our LLC is not set up as a Non-Profit, and we specifically elected not to for a variety of reasons.
    You can get much more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean M View Post
    I truly believe that poor people shouldn’t be excluded from having access to quality training
    I agree, the person working the midnight shift at Sac-O-Suds needs a pistol and skills more than I do.

Is there an application cost for the CHL? Since this is a cooperative LE effort perhaps the application fee might be bundled into the class. Some of it might be specified by law but if the issuing agency has any latitude maybe they can help offset the cost of training, and help insure people follow through with the permit. Like if the license fee is $75, and the Sherriff can agree to do it for $25 for graduates, you could probably create a training and CHL bundle that costs $100 and everybody wins, people get trained and they have a county more populated with trained people. And when people finish the class they don't have to wait three more paydays before they can get their license.

There is a bit of a parallel here in Ohio with motorcycle licensing, if you take the comprehensive weekend MSF course that is offered by the industry you do not have to do the riding test (which is rather silly, weaving through tight cones).
    Last edited by mmc45414; 05-25-2018 at 05:56 AM.

Pretty sure it’s like that just about everywhere with the bikes. At least it had been everywhere I’ve had a MC endorsement.

I’ll certainly bring it up, but I’d guess the County Sheriff will balk at that to an extent, since it is revenue for them, whereas this training is not....... but perhaps I can talk him into a discount or other perks to get people to take the course and obtain their permit........
    You can get much more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.

Quote Originally Posted by jwperry View Post
    These are the price points that put beginner asses in seats around here. Add a free lunch and you can push the price up an extra few $$
    Don’t know how I missed this nugget....... very good idea. I would bet if I had some local business sponsors, I could advance everyone’ Agenda to an extent.

Chic-Fil-A does a lot of things like this, as well as some of the other, locally owned/operated food joints. I’ll have one of the local businesses where I have some influence to use their influence to get local sponsors on board for catering lunch on the full day range session.

Great idea. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean M View Post
    I’ll certainly bring it up, but I’d guess the County Sheriff will balk at that to an extent, since it is revenue for them, whereas this training is not....... but perhaps I can talk him into a discount or other perks to get people to take the course and obtain their permit........
    Yup, that would be typical, but the net loss is probably noise, cause the people that would be getting the discount would most likely never be getting a permit if there wasn't a streamlined and discounted option, but that is how people tick.

I know you don't train for money, but you used to train for money, and it probably be good to establish a perceived value for some of this, potentially/especially if you are doing anything that might include helping any of the sworn people. I would expect there might be people that agree with you and might support your effort, but would be cautious of being scrutinized for "giving something away". But those people might be willing to link their agreement to an exchange of service for a highly knowledgeable and extensively trained person, a person that is a new member of the community, delivering training to their officers. Training that has a market value of $XX,000, equivalent to alternative classes that would require travel costs of $XX,000 and tuition costs of $XX,000.

User Tag List