Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What would you pay for an intro to pistol shooting class?

Sounds like you've got a good handle on things, and that you're doing the Lord's work out there.

Best of luck, and keep us posted. Should be some good stories come out of this one...

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

What would you pay for an intro to pistol shooting class?

The first thought that comes to mind is that 150rds to non-gun people is a bit much. Not including those that may have physical issues.

I would say break it into 2 classes, Intro to Handguns and a CHL course. Both 8 hours, over however many days, and 50rds per class.

$50/class plus ammo being bring your own or $10. Having what this class will cost in materials, ammo, gun etc etc will drive your base cost of looking for a non-profit Org or cost + $20 to help purchase better training aids/loaner guns.

What you are trying to do for your community is awesome. I love that the local LEO’s are partnering with you.

Good Luck!!!

Edit: After reading some posts that were written while I was typing, I’d still stick with charging a bit extra to cover furthering your class. Having extra $$$ will always make future growth easier. Especially once your local population wants to further their basic training. Use the money to buy some steel targets. Who doesn’t like shooting steel??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by H&KFanNC; 05-22-2018 at 03:33 PM.
    Using Tapatalk

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar
    The only thing I could suggest is to charge whatever amount of money it would take to make sure you're not taking cash out of your own pocket.

For folks in that income bracket, $100 is no shit, anxiety-inducing, food-on-the-table money. So it's not really a question of what the course is worth, because it's worth far more than what those folks could afford.

Sorry I have nothing useful to add.
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Chance View Post
    The only thing I could suggest is to charge whatever amount of money it would take to make sure you're not taking cash out of your own pocket.

For folks in that income bracket, $100 is no shit, anxiety-inducing, food-on-the-table money. So it's not really a question of what the course is worth, because it's worth far more than what those folks could afford.

Sorry I have nothing useful to add.
    I would second this @Chance absolutely. I live in a pretty similar area with no costs to you and everyone volunteering their time I would try to go at $50 or so. That would be with ammo and rental gun included. If you make it much more you will lose a lot of people. That should be enough to get people invested in it while not pricing out many who are dedicated. If you can then reinvest the money you take in above the cost of ammo to help you continue offering training for people in your community would be a great thing.

People in this income bracket have a hard time affording guns, gear, and ammo. I am sure that many people here would be interested in taking a class from you, doubly so if it would be some tactical philanthropy. I don’t know if you are interested in doing classes or lectures but I am sure we would be able to help make sure that the people who needed the help were supplied good gear.

MN basic carry permit classes run around $100, sometimes a bit more, sometimes a bit less, and include zero shooting instruction - it's purely a class in legal requirements and responsibilities. The shooting proficiency test is generally a case of bring your own gun and ammo, and round count and content of that test varies from instructor to instructor, as there is no set requirement in MN law other than that you must demonstrate proficiency. The definition of proficiency is left up to the instructors. In my case, last time I took the class, it was $100, I had to bring my own gun and ammo, and the shooting test was 30 rounds and felt too easy. (All 30 rounds were shot at a silhouette target at 7 yards, and while a shot timer was used, the allowed times were laughably high.) I've heard of some instructors making it much harder, and some making it much easier.

Regardless, I think that if you do a course that includes actual shooting instruction and training in addition to the classroom legal stuff at $100 or under, you're giving people a very real bargain. The $50 some others have suggested is basically giving it away. Whatever you end up deciding to charge, I hope your community appreciates the gift you're giving.

These are the price points that put beginner asses in seats around here. Add a free lunch and you can push the price up an extra few $$.

Quote Originally Posted by Gewehr3 View Post
    I have a friend that teaches a course like you describe in a similar rural area. He charges $50 per 8 hr. course. Students bring their own supplies. Also, the local Sheriff's Dept. offers a similar course for $75 a day.

I applaud you for your efforts.
    If you're looking to introduce them to guns that they might actually buy, I'd look at something that's closer to $300.
    Shield, SD9, Ruger American, etc..

I have friends who do pretty well for themselves, yet won't justify $350 for a decent LE trade in gun for their primary firearm.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

In my AO the public is mandated to take a basic firearm safety course (w/live fire) or a hunters safety course (no live fire) to obtain a permit to acquire a handgun. This is not a concealed carry course as that does not exist. The course is six hours total. Four hours of classroom, to include safety, handling and current laws and 2 hours of live fire training. Instructors supply everything, paperwork, targets, venue, firearms, and ammunition. Live fire is generally 50 rounds max. Costs go anywhere from $100 for non-profit groups, to around $150.

I think reasonableness of pricing has a lot to do with the instructor(s) and what the local market will bear. I generally steer as far clear as I can in teaching this type of class, and I only do it for friends/family or new private clients. I do a full 8 hours and go way beyond the minimum when I do it.

Site Supporter
    The state operated public range near me (central Mississippi - Turcotte) offers one day classes for $17.66. They have a level 1 and level 2 class. I'm not sure what the round count is, but I think they provide some pistols and limited ammunition for people to try different weapons. I've been on the range once when some recent students showed up and the rangemaster disappeared for a couple of minutes and returned with a big box o' pistols and some ammo. The concealed carry class at the same range is about $100. I think students are expected to bring their own guns and ammo for that class.

The instructor is retired military and just really loves helping people become better shooters. I know he personally bears part of the costs because he once mentioned buying pistols for other people to try.

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean M View Post
    Working with local LE, I’ve been asked to teach some CCW type courses for citizens under the banner of the area LE agencies.

The course is projected to be a couple (maybe 3) hours on a Friday evening, a full day (8-10 hours) Saturday, and a couple (2-4) hours review and a testing course of fire on a Sunday afternoon. The course will meet the requirements for obtaining a CHL, and each student will have a basic background check conducted prior to admission. This doesn’t add any work on my end, but will take someone’s time for running names and DOBs through NICS.

Our area is poor to say the least. Every child in the local schools gets free lunch because it would cost more to hire someone to take the money from students who don’t qualify for nutritional assistance than they would bring in. ~40 % of the local population lives below the poverty line.

Given the financial realities, and the fact that the target audience isn’t “gun people”, but rather people who are considering buying and/or carrying a gun for defense, we’re looking at cost:benefit ratios, and trying to come up with a number that is affordable and appropriate to the circumstances.

Round count will very likely be less than 150 rounds total, with 25 of those fired as part of the testing process. I’m also considering providing ammo and rolling that into the cost. This is a not-for-profit endeavor, and local LE is providingn the range and training facilities, conducting background checks, advertising, and providing some insurance. Our LLC will provide the training materials and additional insurance for our staff on top of what the City/County provide.

What would you pay for 16 hours of basic firearms training with (and without) ammunition? What about a rental firearm? (To keep it simple it would most likely be a Glock 19 across the board).
    If you want some assistance putting some of these on, holler. I'll see what I can do. I have family not too far from you.

Based on my read of the area, cost would need to be under $100 for you to see numbers in participation.
    Last edited by TCinVA; 05-23-2018 at 09:01 AM.
    3/15/2016

This may not work for you, but it might work for someone.

I've been tossing around the JUCO night school model. You could spread the classroom portion over a few 2-3 hour weeknight evening classroom blocks and then run a half day (or whatever) live-fire lab on the weekend. To graduate, they would have to attend all the required training blocks within an approved time frame of say a month or two. Add in some electives, like a gun selection class, revolver class, medical, whatever.
    David S.

User Tag List