Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AAR: 2-day RDS Class with Modern Samurai Project

AAR: 2-day RDS Class with Modern Samurai Project

TL;DR: Excellent class. Highly Recommended to anyone shooting a dot.

Stats:
    -Weather was good on TD1. TD2 started rainy but cleared up by noon.
    -10 students. This was the first formal RDS training for most. No “That Guy” (Unless it was me)
    -I think we shot about 500 rounds.
    -Eight RMR’d Glocks with varying levels of tuning, one P320 w/ Vortex Venom. One RMR’d FN509.
    -There were no dot failures, but I saw a couple malfunctions on the Glocks.

Description:
    I’m “Dot Curios,” so I asked Scott ahead of time if I could borrow his gear. He generously gave me the choice of a tricked out Glock 19 w/ RMR and his tricked out FN 509 w/ RMR. I started TD1 on the Glock but switched to the FN at lunch time because: grip angle.

Scott is both a Gamer and a “Tactical Timmy”, and he attempts to combine the best of both worlds. “This is a shooting class, not a tactics class.” It wasn’t a competition class either, but what we learned was transferable to both.

This was really a shooting fundamentals class adapted for the slide mounted red dot. The first half of TD1 was breaking down his spin on stance, grip, and draw techniques that would increase our economy of motion. TD2 was cut a bit short by the weather, but he introduced SOTM and SH/WH shooting. We had a few class competitions spread throughout.

Some key teaching points. I didn’t take very good notes, so I don't recall them perfectly.

Finding the dot was a result of good index and mechanics.

Don’t “slow down” to solve harder problems (low prob targets), be more careful.

RDS are typically perceived as slower up close because we demand a higher level of sight refinement from the RDS than irons.

“Proprioceptive Index:” Use your body’s natural ability to point and make contact with other points, such as Spenser Keepers’ “Judy Chop.”

Minimize excessive movement. Everyone started the class with obvious excessive movement in their drawstroke. I use the classic TLG “sideways L” press out, except I have hitch (short pause) at the apex, under my chin, that slows me down significantly. I also move my head a fair amount during the draw, which makes it difficult to find the dot once I reach extension. The more direct route that Scott recommends was much more natural for me, significantly improved my ability to find the dot and was quicker, when I remembered to do it.

Structure > Strength. I’ve interpreted most of my training on grip to say something like “Squeeze till you start shaking, then back off till it stops. . . There Perfect,” or use 100%/100% of your grip strength. He taught us to find a medium, comfortable grip effort and tuned our stance and grip so that we could use the natural body structure, flow and mechanics to control recoil instead of brute strength. Trying to muscle the gun with brute strength can be counter productive until you have the perfect structure well established. I found this particularly helpful.

Some key impressions.

-Scott does a good job of explaining the how’s and why’s. He also heavily credits his influences.
    -Most of the class was run on two or three lines. We observed our training partner but were forbidden from AI’ing.
    -He provided surprising amount of direct 1-on-1 coaching to each of us. I didn’t feel neglected for struggling or better students.
    -Most of his drills were fairly simple and unoriginal, which is fine. Bill Drill, Plate rack, and a 3&2 drill (3 to 8 inch “torso” then 2 to head box on a Pistol Training target).

The Dot.

I came away with mixed impressions about the RDS. I like the RDS in concept, and very much wanted to love it in practice, but walked away from the class rather uninspired by it. I had very mixed success finding and tracking the dot, particularly when we were on the timer. I’m not sure how much to attribute to the unfamiliar guns, switching guns, the RMR, or how much I just suck at shooting.. I do wish I would have started with his FN instead switching midstream from the Glock.

A RDS is in the future for me, but I’m no longer in a rush.

Final Thoughts

If I got nothing else from this class, it scratched the RDS itch. If you’re red dot curious, I suggest spending $400 on a good RDS centric class before investing thousands on upgrading your guns. Scott mentioned that spending some time behind a dot will teach you a ton about your iron sight shooting, and I believe that will bear itself out as I work on the things I learned this weekend.

Scott is a good instructor teaching a unique class. Highly recommended.
    David S.

I’m taking a 1 day class with him next month at the OTOA Conference. Really looking forward to it. I’m hoping he’ll help cut some time off my first shot. Once I find the dot I’m pretty good, but I struggle to get a quick shot off on low probability targets.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by Lon View Post
    I’m taking a 1 day class with him next month at the OTOA Conference. Really looking forward to it. I’m hoping he’ll help cut some time off my first shot. Once I find the dot I’m pretty good, but I struggle to get a quick shot off on low probability targets.
    He almost certainly will help you.

I don't know how he'll structure his one-day conference class, but I feel I got more out of TD1 than TD2, in spite of poor equipment selection. That has more to do with where I'm at than the quality of TD2. Now that I think about it, I may consider retaking TD1 when he returns to DFW later this year.
    David S.

Tag: @AsianJedi
    David S.

I'll get you squared away my friend.
    FAST Coin Owner #15
    Paper M in Carry Optics #A96020
    Point 1 Tactics Elite Standards Coin #4

Quote Originally Posted by David S. View Post
    He almost certainly will help you.

I don't know how he'll structure his one-day conference class, but I feel I got more out of TD1 than TD2, in spite of poor equipment selection. That has more to do with where I'm at than the quality of TD2. Now that I think about it, I may consider retaking TD1 when he returns to DFW later this year.
    Thank you for the thorough review my friend. You did great for picking up the dot for the first time! I will be interested on how the lessons learned will help your iron sight shooting.

Remind me when you sign up for the class at TCC. I will give you a returning student hookup.
    FAST Coin Owner #15

Extremely upset I was unable to attend due to extremely nasty Tennis Elbow.

I’ve run a P320 in HITTS and a Super Dave class and was really looking for help on increasing speed at 3-5 yards.

Quote Originally Posted by Oukaapie View Post
    Extremely upset I was unable to attend due to extremely nasty Tennis Elbow.

I’ve run a P320 in HITTS and a Super Dave class and was really looking for help on increasing speed at 3-5 yards.
    He's back in October.
    David S.

Sweet, hoping I’m fighting fit.

Quote Originally Posted by Oukaapie View Post
    Sweet, hoping I’m fighting fit.
    Do you lock out your elbows?
    FAST Coin Owner #15

User Tag List