Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Deciding between two .38 Special Revolvers

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    If you're new to revolvers and to shooting, a snubby is not, IMO, a good pick to learn on. At least you're not going with an Airweight, though.

(But if you do, and if you don't reload, think about getting a case of wadcutters for practicing.)
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    If you're new to revolvers and to shooting, a snubby is not, IMO, a good pick to learn on. At least you're not going with an Airweight, though.

(But if you do, and if you don't reload, think about getting a case of wadcutters for practicing.)
    I found the SP101 tends to shoot bigger than a snub. Almost like a narrow K frame. I think for the one gun person that wants to do everything from concealed carry, outdoors protection and a bedside gun, the SP101 in .357 mag is one of those guns that is really sort of a jack of all trades master of none propositions. If you can get one with decent sights, even better.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

I agree that between the two, as a "primary" defensive pistol, the SP101 would be my choice. I also agree that if you're trying to "learn" revolvers, a nice 4" 38 is a better place to start...

The S&W always when given a choice. The trigger pull alone makes the S&W first choice. You ain't gonna wear out either gun. Every 101 I've ever tried had a very heavy trigger pull, no way to shoot accurately in D/A mode.

Piggybacking off what others in this thread are saying it might behoove you to pick up a S&W Model 10 from A&G for ~$350 which will be a great way to give the whole revolver thing a try and if you do determine you like it you could get a snubbie for EDC.

If you decide to go the way of the semi you could then sell me the Model 10 for a $50 loss and buy yourself a suitable semi-auto

I carried an SP-101 for a number of years as a BUG and found it to be a great gun. Mine was the DAO version. I liked it because it was a little gun that shot like a big gun and I could get a grip on it, which I've never been able to do with a J Frame. For the one and only snubbie the Ruger gets my vote.

On the other hand, I have a nickel plated snub nosed Model 10 I'd take over either one.
    Last edited by Trooper224; 05-22-2018 at 01:25 PM.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Thanks for Post#1. I was completely unaware S&W was making a .38 Special (only) Model 60 (once again). I wonder what its back-story is.

Regarding which of the two posted revolvers to get, get either or both. Both manufacturers have good warranty/repair reputations. Any gun can result in a warranty repair issue. It'd be nice to have a firearm immediately available should one need repair/replacement, instead of taking more time to go buy a substitute while the first one is away for such repair/replacement (which could take a week to a few months before returning).

Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    ETA: Gemini does beautiful work on SPs. Another option to look at that might be more affordable and shorter wait is clements, although I need to state that I have not personally seen a Clements SP101. His single actions are pretty cool though. FWIW. Check out the $450 package, here:

http://www.clementscustomguns.com/sp101.html
    Thanks for that.

I hadn't heard of David Clements before, but it looks like he does beautiful work, and at competitive prices too.
    "Therefore, since the world has still... Much good, but much less good than ill,
    And while the sun and moon endure, Luck's a chance, but trouble's sure,
    I'd face it as a wise man would, And train for ill and not for good." -- A.E. Housman

I've owned both and would recommend handling both, and go with the one that feels right to you. The Ruger is heavier, and that does make a difference to me in everyday carry. I know you want a steel frame, and I prefer steel frames too. But more often now days I carry a S&W 642 .38 Spcl. with aluminum frame, just due to the lighter weight. If I could only have one little 5-shooter for the rest of my days though, I'd likely go with the SP-101......ymmv
    Attached Images Attached Images  

User Tag List