Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deciding between two .38 Special Revolvers

Deciding between two .38 Special Revolvers

Hello, I am fairly new to firearms. I have been researching different carry options as well as a gun for camping and home defense. I prefer steel guns, I do not wish to carry aluminum or polymer. I also prefer revolver for the simplicity and safety of DA. I do however wish to have a exposed hammer for the option of SA.

I plan to only shoot .38 Special or .38 +P, I would rather not shoot .357 so I decided to focus on .38 +P rated revolvers not .357/.38. I know that may seem silly, why not get a pistol that can shoot both? I decided since I would be only shooting .38s, I would prefer the cartridges to optimally fit the chambers.

So I have narrowed it down to these two pistols. Do you have an opinion on which would be more reliable, nicer trigger, durability, etc? Why would you chose one over the other? Would you possibly choose a different option that I didn't mention? One cost more than the other, I think I may like the aesthetics of the S&W a little more not but enough to disregard the Ruger. Also I am shopping for new guns since I don't have the expertise to weed out damage on old ones.

Manufacturer Smith & Wesson
    SKU GAG_SW162427FC
    Condition New in Box
    Action Type Revolver
    Caliber .38
    UPC 022188624274
    Model 60
    Manufacturer Part Number 162427
    Barrel Length 2.125"
    Finish Per Color Stainless
    Capacity 5Rd
    Firing Casing Fired Case
    Frame Per Material Steel

Ruger 5737 SP101 KSP-821X 5RD 38SP +P 2.25"
    Finish Stainless
    Type Revolver
    Action Single/Double
    Caliber 38 Special
    Barrel Length 2.25"
    Capacity 5
    Safety Transfer Bar
    Grips Black
    Sights Fixed
    Weight 26 oz

Site Supporter
    Have you physically handled either/both of them? I would do that, and pick whichever seems to feel better and not give it another thought. Both are good guns.

As much as I love Smith’s, for a single do everything Revolver, the SP-101 is a great choice and should outlive you and your grand kids. I have one I carried for years and was then modified by Hamilton Bowen into a truely exceptional shooter and carry gun.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Reliability - both are reliable
    Trigger - S&W
    Durability - Ruger

High volume & many +P loads, buy the Ruger. That is after you feel how each one fits your hand.
    US Navy Veteran
    1961-1965

"Por que no los dos?"

I'll venture some opinions since I own both the guns you're considering, though in .357 Magnum rather than .38 special.

If you don't intend to have any aftermarket 'smithing done, and you're set on getting the gun in.38 Special+P, then the S&W Model 60 will be the lighter, somewhat more compact choice and will almost certainly have a better quality out-of-the-box trigger (unless you get a real lemon), not to mention that the gun's finish will be a bit more refined.

OTOH, if you ever even considered the option of getting either gun in .357 Magnum, for the sake of sometimes shooting the more potent round, I'd choose the Ruger SP101, since it will have considerably less felt recoil, though I'd then also suggest then sending it to Marc Morganti at Gemini Customs for some trigger, sight and finish work, after which it will definitely excel the stock Smith.

Both are excellent 5-shot CCW revolver choices in stainless steel.
    "Therefore, since the world has still... Much good, but much less good than ill,
    And while the sun and moon endure, Luck's a chance, but trouble's sure,
    I'd face it as a wise man would, And train for ill and not for good." -- A.E. Housman

Between the two you mention? Toss up; either is good. If you can find a range that rents them both, try them and get the one you like the best. You’d have to work very hard—and bring friends—to wear either gun out with .38 loads.

I’ve owned multiple examples of both (in .38 only btw) and think highly of both designs. I still have multiple j-frames and no SPs, but that’s just me and my hands: they’re both solid guns.

ETA: Gemini does beautiful work on SPs. Another option to look at that might be more affordable and shorter wait is clements, although I need to state that I have not personally seen a Clements SP101. His single actions are pretty cool though. FWIW. Check out the $450 package, here:

http://www.clementscustomguns.com/sp101.html
    Last edited by Totem Polar; 05-21-2018 at 11:54 PM.

Site Supporter
    @joebeans - Is there a specific reason that you're looking at small revolvers? They're convenient to carry, but they're also the most difficult to shoot well due to their size. Unless small size is an absolute requirement, I'd suggest going to a larger, six-shot revolver with a three- or four-inch barrel. If you have a revolver-savvy friend, or a gun store that you trust, look into used ones like the S&W M64 or Ruger Service Six.

Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    @joebeans - Is there a specific reason that you're looking at small revolvers? They're convenient to carry, but they're also the most difficult to shoot well due to their size. Unless small size is an absolute requirement, I'd suggest going to a larger, six-shot revolver with a three- or four-inch barrel. If you have a revolver-savvy friend, or a gun store that you trust, look into used ones like the S&W M64 or Ruger Service Six.
    Sounds like it is going to be used for an EDC as well as HD and camping from the original post.

Another vote for the SP101 here, coming from a S&W guy. If this was solely going to be used for a pocket EDC or similar then maybe the S&W would make more sense. But for the multiple purposes you are looking to cover I think the heavy, and arguably more durable, SP101 will serve you better.

Both are great, I would muddy the water a little and sugest either one in 3" for what you describe, with me favoring my Ruger that has gone to Gemini.

Also, Altamont may have new grips for the Ruger that look nice.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

User Tag List