Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The kids are alright..."Monkey on the loose in San Antonio Airport"

The kids are alright..."Monkey on the loose in San Antonio Airport"

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/monkey-...as-2018-05-21/

Authorities say a monkey went bananas after escaping from its crate Monday at the San Antonio International Airport, CBS affiliate KENS-TV reports.

Samsonite commercial?
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Maybe the monkey was trying to find its emotional support human.

Damn the iPhone Typos!
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Depending on the luggage it may have been a ... wait for it... a trunk monkey

My wife, "Byline should have said, "Monkey goes apeshit in airport after escaping..."

Site Supporter
    Gotta be careful with the monkeys. Herpes B virus is no joke. I'm on record at a previous employer as having been bitten by a monkey which earned me the prize of $1,000 worth of Valtrex. That was a fun week.

Quote Originally Posted by pangloss View Post
    Gotta be careful with the monkeys. Herpes B virus is no joke. I'm on record at a previous employer as having been bitten by a monkey which earned me the prize of $1,000 worth of Valtrex. That was a fun week.
    That's a heck of a story you made up to tell your wife.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Quote Originally Posted by pangloss View Post
    A very good friend of mine does animal research, previously on monkeys, now on fish. The colony was Herpes B positive. One day, a cage fell over in the research area and sliced through her scrubs and into her skin, leaving her a nice cut that took six stitches to close.

Off to the hospital for 2-weeks of Valtrex and blood panels.

Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    I keep telling her that shouting out loud, "I've had a valtrex prescription, but don't need it anymore" is not a good way to land a date...

Site Supporter
    I’m told it was actually a Baboon.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    Ha! That angle never even occurred to me, but the story is sort of made up. I had a lab exposure to monkey serum, and I guess a lazy worker in employee health just decided to write "monkey bite" in my record. I don't think that I've ever actually touched a monkey. I found out about the false entry a few years later when I had my TB test read and glimpsed my chart over the nurses shoulder.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    A very good friend of mine does animal research, previously on monkeys, now on fish. The colony was Herpes B positive. One day, a cage fell over in the research area and sliced through her scrubs and into her skin, leaving her a nice cut that took six stitches to close.

Off to the hospital for 2-weeks of Valtrex and blood panels.

I keep telling her that shouting out loud, "I've had a valtrex prescription, but don't need it anymore" is not a good way to land a date...
    That's awful--definitely a much bigger danger than my exposure. As I understand it, monkeys can test negative but then shed virus when they are stressed. The samples I was working with came from "negative" monkeys, but the test isn't entirely trustworthy. (Maybe the tests are better now though. Seems like a decent serology test would be possible.) Mine and my wife's families came to visit for Thanksgiving the following week. I hadn't told them that I might die from Herpes B virus infection, but by that point I was greater than 99% sure I'd be okay (up from about 95% immediately following the exposure). I figured I'd have a little fun with the situation, so I left my giant bottle of Valtrex prominently displayed on the kitchen counter. My wife didn't see the humor in it and disappeared the bottle to our bathroom.

User Tag List