Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Long(ish) range split speeds?

Long(ish) range split speeds?

I am working on longer range shooting (specific to IPSC competition).

I’ve identified it as an area to gain significant speed on stages. In the video below you can see my 20 and 12 yard split speeds are in the .5 to .6 range.

I set up the accelerator drill today to practice splits and transitions, I was able to get consistent A and close C hits with low .3 splits at 15 Yards and low .4’s at 25 Yards. On the stage above, those split speeds would have saved me at least 1.5 seconds, if not more, which is huge!

Anyway, the question is, what are acceptable split times at 15 and 25 yards? I think if I work this aspect a bunch in live fire, it will reap huge rewards at my matches. I want to benchmark myself against GM’s in that respect.
    "Next time somebody says USPSA or IPSC is all hosing, junk punch them." - Les Pepperoni
    --

You need to practice using Ben Stoeger’s (I think he got it from Gaston) “Doubles” drill.

Set up at 5, 7,10,15,20,25 yards. Goal is to shoot all alphas with the fastest splits you can get away with - basically grip/recoil control and how well you can se the sights, especially for the second shot. If you want to be ‘extra’ accountable, set a no shoot behing the head tof the target to catch any shots that would have gone over the head/shoulder.

Start your timer. Casually draw, put into single action if you have a DA/SA gun, and get a god grip. Shoot 4 pairs. The time between the pairs doesn’t mattter - only split times and hitting alphas. When you have it down, note your splits times and increase the distance.

With practice you will be shocked that you can shoot ‘as fast as possible’ splits much further than you thought possible, and even to hold splits in the 0.30s range even at 20-25 yards.

This is a great drill.

Now, doing that in a match is another matter, but this is a great confidence builder.
    Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

TGO says to shoot the close targets slow and the far targets fast, as you can reliably harvest maximum points for little extra time up close, and the big gains in time are on the farther targets.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GuanoLoco View Post
    You need to practice using Ben Stoeger’s (I think he got it from Gaston) “Doubles” drill.

Set up at 5, 7,10,15,20,25 yards. Goal is to shoot all alphas with the fastest splits you can get away with - basically grip/recoil control and how well you can se the sights, especially for the second shot. If you want to be ‘extra’ accountable, set a no shoot behing the head tof the target to catch any shots that would have gone over the head/shoulder.

Start your timer. Casually draw, put into single action if you have a DA/SA gun, and get a god grip. Shoot 4 pairs. The time between the pairs doesn’t mattter - only split times and hitting alphas. When you have it down, note your splits times and increase the distance.

With practice you will be shocked that you can shoot ‘as fast as possible’ splits much further than you thought possible, and even to hold splits in the 0.30s range even at 20-25 yards.

This is a great drill.

Now, doing that in a match is another matter, but this is a great confidence builder.
    Thank you for this, I will give it a try for sure. And your last line is the key to the whole deal for me. Knowing what you can get away with at different distances by pressing as much speed as possible in practice. Then making that new speed the norm, and then just confirming sights in the match.
    Last edited by Clobbersaurus; 05-21-2018 at 08:55 PM.
    "Next time somebody says USPSA or IPSC is all hosing, junk punch them." - Les Pepperoni
    --

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    TGO says to shoot the close targets slow and the far targets fast, as you can reliably harvest maximum points for little extra time up close, and the big gains in time are on the farther targets.
    You’ve written that before and I have to admit I never really understood it until now.

At the 15 yard target I only dropped 2 C’s in over 100 rounds of doing that drill. I actually dropped more points on the 5 yard target trying to push speed. Also, no matter how fast I went, I never had a mike, though I did have several D’s on the 25 yard target when pressing hard.
    Last edited by Clobbersaurus; 05-21-2018 at 08:59 PM.
    --

It's different in matches than in the drill when you have a great stance, great grip, and the first shot lined up perfect, and the gun is tracking as nice as you can make it track.

Still, knowing what is possible is useful.

You be amazed what an extra tenth of a second on that second shot can do, especially when you are really tuned in to seeing that front sight come out of recoil.

Quote Originally Posted by Clobbersaurus View Post
    I am working on longer range shooting (specific to IPSC competition).

I set up the accelerator drill today to practice splits and transitions, I was able to get consistent A and close C hits with low .3 splits at 15 Yards and low .4’s at 25 Yards. On the stage above, those split speeds would have saved me at least 1.5 seconds, if not more, which is huge!

What is your par time / actual times for Accelerator? I'm targeting 6.5s (per Ben) and can drive it faster but accuracy starts to suffer and then I hit my hard limits of speed.

I can blaze the 7 yard, moderate control for the 15 yard, and have to focus hard (target focus even) for the 25 to keep the shots (mostly) in the A zone.

Off the top of my head I'm not sure what my specific splits are, but here's some data for you:

25 yd bill drills avg range 2.75-3.0 sec with majority A hits. Likely around a 1.3-1.4 sec draw, so about .28-.32 splits.

Draw fire 2 at 25 - avg range 1.6-1.7 sec with majority A hits. Again 1.3-1.4 draw, so .3-ish splits.

Accelerator times: avg range 5.1-5.6 sec - majority A hits. Usually draw to the 25, transition close, then reload close and move back to 25.

For a "match pace" example, we shot a GSSF stage USPSA style this weekend at a match. This is the stage, but using USPSA targets and scoring: http://gssfonline.com/pdf/courses/Five-to-GLOCK.pdf
    My times were 3.80, 3.93, and 4.03 for each of the three strings, 2 shots per target per string. I ended up with 28A, 1C (one slightly high on 20 yd target), 1D (dropped one low at 25 yd). I shot it right to left, so started on the 10 yd, then 20 yd, then 25 yd, then 15 yd, then 5 yd target.
    Last edited by Gio; 05-22-2018 at 11:38 AM.

That's pretty sporty, Gio!

Quote Originally Posted by GuanoLoco View Post
    What is your par time / actual times for Accelerator? I'm targeting 6.5s (per Ben) and can drive it faster but accuracy starts to suffer and then I hit my hard limits of speed.

I can blaze the 7 yard, moderate control for the 15 yard, and have to focus hard (target focus even) for the 25 to keep the shots (mostly) in the A zone.
    Sorry, I was doing half accelerators and wasn’t really measuring my overall time as I was more interested in the splits at the various distances. I will have to run the full drill next time.

I found that 7 and 15 I didn’t have to focus too hard to get decent scores and could get away with target focus. At 25 I was able to get away with much more than I thought was possible if I clamped down hard on the gun and didn’t insist on a perfect sight picture. GJM’s quote above makes much more sense to me after discovering what I could get away with.
    Last edited by Clobbersaurus; 05-22-2018 at 10:19 PM.
    --

User Tag List