Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A reminder to me to triple check your charged cases before seating bullets..

Site Supporter

A reminder to me to triple check your charged cases before seating bullets..

Name:  0D6E54DE-97FA-459B-AC57-5F62AA196C20.jpg
Views: 727
Size:  47.8 KB
    This is what happens when you are obviously not paying close enough attention to ensuring that each and every case has a powder charge...

Whoops. Good thing it was a revolver!

I use a RCBS Lockout die to check powder.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Whoops. Good thing it was a revolver!

I use a RCBS Lockout die to check powder.
    I load on an old Pacific single stage press I bought in the early ‘80s to load inexpensive .38 practice ammo for work.
    Seven grains of WST in a .44 Magnum case doesn’t take up a lot of space. Makes a great reduced load in the 3” M29. 850 FPS average.
    Will triple check all cases with a strong flashlight thrice before seating bullets from now on.

There are two types of loaders: those who have squibbed a load and those who will. There might be a picture floating around the interwebs of my 442 with a bullet sticking out of the crown, but I'll never own up to it.

No harm no foul and it's a well-learned lesson, despite the Monday-morning quarterbacking you might get. With shorter cases such as 9mm and powder charges that fill half of the case, it's easy to visually inspect each one before seating a bullet. I say to myself "powder there" every time I seat a bullet. With .38/.357/etc, the tall brass makes it much more difficult to see down into the case and that's where a powder-check die really shines.

Glad you caught it before sending the next round down the barrel...
    Last edited by ER_STL; 05-21-2018 at 12:05 PM.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ER_STL View Post
    There are two types of loaders: those who have squibbed a load and those who will.
    I have. I've never failed to charge a cartridge, but I learned CFE-pistol is position sensitive in moderate .38 loads. I also learned the value of a brass rod in my range bag.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by deputyG23 View Post
    reduced load in the 3” M29. 850 FPS average.
    FWIW, Trail Boss powder will do that easily and give you a nearly full case, making those checks much easier. It'll also prevent a double-charge. Trail Boss is what I use for my "44 Special" level loads using magnum brass.

Chris

Some folks poo poo them, admonishing that one can avoid problems by simply visually checking every case for powder, etc... I say... schtuff happens and a powder check die catches it when you miss it. Highly recommended!

Site Supporter
    The time I did that, it stopped crossing the cylinder gap into the forcing cone. Tied the gun up. Case had no powder at all, just a primer to pop and push it forward.

Wooden dowel and a mallet popped it all the way back into the case.

Been there, done that. Way better than a double charge.
    #RESIST

I saved my squib on the loading bench to remind me.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

User Tag List