Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A reminder to me to triple check your charged cases before seating bullets..

I've also done that -- on shotgun shells many years ago while shooting skeet -- O-BOY

Everyone watched me as I pored the shot out of the barrel onto the ground

One guy yelled out -- ' You missed "

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    I have. I've never failed to charge a cartridge, but I learned CFE-pistol is position sensitive in moderate .38 loads. I also learned the value of a brass rod in my range bag.
    Me either.

But 231 is also position sensitive, or more correctly, able to get out of reach of the primer flash. Especially if you seat a 125 to 158 OAL and leave even more airspace.

The only other bullet I have ever stuck was a factory WW .45 after The Incident including house fire.
    Commercial ammo is not waterproof to sustained exposure by the fire department and probably some rain through the burned through roof.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

A primed case with no powder will lock your bullet rigth in the middle of the forcing cone gap...

That's a malfunction that calls for a NY reload or an Adidas protocol

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    FWIW, Trail Boss powder will do that easily and give you a nearly full case, making those checks much easier. It'll also prevent a double-charge. Trail Boss is what I use for my "44 Special" level loads using magnum brass.

Chris
    I load a light 45 Colt load for my Dad's Vaquero with Trail Boss. It makes it very easy to verify the charge, and makes for a great target load.

Im paraniod about squibs, I use a 2in1 Seat & Crimp die just so I can keep my powder check station. I also have something called the Press Monitor which has a few different sensors that will tell me if I do anything out of order/index or even if I short stroke something.

As a small funny; the other weekend while shooting my first 5 rounds I stopped twice to check the gun and make sure I didnt have squibs. Winded up just being a really good shot group but I was paranoid when not seeing the hits

Quote Originally Posted by Daauto View Post
    I've also done that -- on shotgun shells many years ago while shooting skeet -- O-BOY

Everyone watched me as I pored the shot out of the barrel onto the ground

One guy yelled out -- ' You missed "
    You could’ve thrown it at the bird.

Site Supporter
    A rod--nylon, brass or wood--cut to length is a quick way to check for stuck bullets. For driving a bullet out of the barrel, a wood rod is not the best choice. The rod can split with the possibility that a split end of the wood rod can lodge between bullet and barrel. Then you are screwed. The probability of this event occurring is greater with rifle barrels(longer). And it is more likely to occur with rods smaller than inside diameter of barrel.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Been there, done that. Way better than a double charge.
    Not always true.........
    You can get much more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.

"Hillman 48-in x 0.375-in Staff Sign"

Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    A rod--nylon, brass or wood... For driving a bullet out of the barrel, a wood rod is not the best choice.
    I have a little piece of one of the driveway edge markers, pretty sturdy and cheap and easy:
    https://www.lowes.com/pd/Hillman-48-...f-Sign/3025196

User Tag List