Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: S&W red/orange ramp insert replacement

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nalesq View Post
    In case anyone is curious, this is what they look like installed:

That helps a lot!
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    So they’ll fit in this?

(27-3)
    Yes.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    Not hard at all. The rear sight on an S&W revolver is pretty straight forward and easily replaced and the front insert drifts in just like a conventional sight.
    I think I remember reading that the you have to replace the windage screw on the S&W rear adjustable sight when you change out sight blades, as the existing screw is broken upon removal of the blade. I could be mis-remembering things, but the screw is easily sourced.

https://www.midwayusa.com/s?targetLo...temsPerPage=96
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Whitlock View Post
    I think I remember reading that the you have to replace the windage screw on the S&W rear adjustable sight when you change out sight blades, as the existing screw is broken upon removal of the blade. I could be mis-remembering things, but the screw is easily sourced.

https://www.midwayusa.com/s?targetLo...temsPerPage=96
    That's correct. The screw is designed to be broken upon removal. The rear sight blade and screw are typically sold as a unit because of this. It's actually easier than driving out a non-adjustable rear sight on something like a semi-auto.
    Last edited by Trooper224; 06-01-2018 at 02:55 PM.

^^^^Thanks. I'd hate to be spreading bad info. Just didn't want the OP to have an "Oh, shit!" moment when he went to change the rear out.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

I remember an old thread or post by lsp972 (who I miss) that details removing the smith rear sight. I’ll try to look for it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by serialsolver View Post
    I remember an old thread or post by lsp972 (who I miss) that details removing the smith rear sight. I’ll try to look for it.

Simply turn the windage screw until it stops, then keep turning it and it will snap off. The sight blade can then been replaced with the new one. The new locking nut goes in through the left of the sight base and the new blade and windage screw, along with ball detent, are inserted through the right. Once the sight is assembled the end of the windage screw is peened against the locking nut to keep the assembly together. I always found a spring loaded punch to work well for this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6au83u4A78
    Last edited by Trooper224; 06-01-2018 at 06:00 PM.

Yeah, my google-foo is weak. Lsp972 had some good tips.

Quote Originally Posted by nalesq View Post
    In case anyone is curious, this is what they look like installed:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Thanks for the pics! Can one use the front sight without the rear?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 1986s4 View Post
    Thanks for the pics! Can one use the front sight without the rear?
    I don’t see why not. However, the tritium rear has a very slightly wider notch than the original rear, which makes sight picture acquisition a little bit faster for me, which I preferred.

The pic (hastily taken with my iPhone camera) I posted of the sight picture is a little deceptive, though. From my perspective in real life, there actually doesn’t appear to be quite that much space between the sides of the front and rear sights. In reality, the difference between the factory and aftermarket sight picture is there, but it’s more subtle than the image might suggest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

User Tag List