Start Position: High compressed ready
    Range: 7 yards
    SHO Par: 1.70
    WHO Par: 1.90

Total number of hits SHO: 40/48
    Most hits under par on a single string SHO: 4

total # of hits WHO: 14/20
    Most hits under par WHO: 2

I was shooting my new Gen 4 G-17 and had a bunch of short strokes shooting WHO. I got disgusted and quit.

You mean your new and improved gen 4 G17 had malfunctions and did not work perfectly?

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    You mean your new and improved gen 4 G17 had malfunctions and did not work perfectly?
    Yep. Limp wristing, I guess. I was shooting my 130 PF IDPA loads. I think my Gen 4 has all the latest stuff. 024 are the numbers on the RSA, 30274 ejector and the extractor comes out easy. I'll be trying some factory stuff as soon as my order arrives. The gun shoots great using both hands or SHO, but the brass doesn't go very far.

Another good drill. Lots to learn.

Starting position: Compressed High Ready, more or less. I haven't taken that class yet. Shooting a stock M&P 9 FS with commercial 115 gr. plated reloads
    Range: 5 yards
    SHO Par: 3.76 sec
    WHO: Par: 3.53 sec
    Total Number of Hits: 44 hits
    Most hits under PAR on a single string SHO: 3
    Most hits under PAR on a single string WHO: 3

I threw a lot of misses trying to get faster.

Swung by work before we opened up and did this drill and some paperwork

Starting position: G17 in 6004
    SHO Par: 1.72 sec
    WHO: Par: 1.87 sec
    Total Number of Hits: 49 hits
    Most hits under PAR on a single string SHO: 5
    Most hits under PAR on a single string WHO: 2

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by jthhapkido View Post
    For myself, I think I'd structure this drill a little differently: I'd start with the same method to set the PAR time, and then I'd run it five times, two shots each, recording my split times and total times. I'd try to get more consistent and quick as I practiced. After the five runs, I'd look and see how much time was left before the PAR---if it was equal to or greater than the split time, I'd do five runs working on three shots per run under the PAR time---again, working for all hits but working on quickness. After the five runs, again I'd look to see how much time was left, and would continue adding more shots as it become possible. If the time wasn't there, I'd run another set of 5 attempts, and try to get them on target quicker.
    You're way would definitely give a more structured way to increase the speed. I actually started developing this drill by doing Acceleration SHO and WHO. My biggest problem when doing the drill that way had to do with making the decision on the number of shots before the string begins. I found that when shooting that way, I wasn't in visual control of the gun, but simply pulling the trigger the prescribed number of times. The drill addresses my biggest problem with SHO and WHO speed shooting: staying in visual control of the gun. The drill as is lets the sights be the "go pedal" because there isn't a predetermined number of shots on a given string.

Starting position: High Ready (front sight, eye, and target in line)
    SHO PAR: 1.7 sec
    WHO: PAR: 2.0 sec
    Total Number of Hits: 45
    Most hits under PAR on a single string SHO: 4
    Most hits under PAR on a single string WHO: 3

User Tag List