Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New G42 stiff slide release

New G42 stiff slide release

Just picked up a new G42. The slide release is ridiculously stiff — harder than my G19. A dab of grease didn't help. Should I expect it to improve with use, or try a light stoning?

Thanks!

Hi, Peter - just to confirm, is the empty magazine inserted?
    Last edited by HeavyDuty; 05-20-2018 at 02:47 PM.

It is hard to release with or without a magazine in place.

With the slide off, the lever moves freely with no sign of binding.

Ok, I didn’t know how to ask that without sounding like a dick.

If you run a dry Q-tip in the slide slot and across the bearing edge of the slide stop lever, does it snag?
    Last edited by HeavyDuty; 05-20-2018 at 04:55 PM.

Name:  49AA155F-44A0-40D1-BDE9-6C29E4A12EC5.jpg
Views: 1415
Size:  26.4 KB

No obvious burrs.

Looking at the underside of the slide, the back of the slide stop notch is not square to the long axis of the slide. Looks like all of the contact would be on the outside edge.

That could do it until it wears in. A gentle stoning to the slide stop lever trying to match the angle on the slide would be my next step.

No offense I hope here, but Glock lists that piece as a “slide stop lever”-not release.
    As I understand it, SOP after the slide locks back on an empty mag, is to remove empty, replace with a full mag and pull slide to rear and release. This chambers a round.
    I don’t know if Vickers/Tango Down has a slide release for this model.

Quote Originally Posted by 1Rangemaster View Post
    No offense I hope here, but Glock lists that piece as a “slide stop lever”-not release.
    As I understand it, SOP after the slide locks back on an empty mag, is to remove empty, replace with a full mag and pull slide to rear and release. This chambers a round.
    I don’t know if Vickers/Tango Down has a slide release for this model.
    Slingshot or release — that’s been a point of discussion once or twice.......😀

The manual that came with the G42 states:
    “If the slide is locked in the rearward position, either press the slide stop lever down to release the slide and return it to the fully forward position or grasp the rear of the slide at the serrations with your other hand and pull the slide fully back and than release it, allowing it to return to the fully forward position.”

To me that suggests that using the release should be a workable option.

Vickers and Ghost both make extended releases for the 42 and 43.

I just got a new 43 and have the same issue. I generally don’t carry a reload for this so I don’t care that much. If Glock makes an extended slide release though I may get one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 1Rangemaster View Post
    Please don't do that here, thanks.

User Tag List