Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What if I have a heavy .38 snubbie?

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post

The FBI LSWCHP load has a proven record in actual shootings as long as intermediate barriers aren’t a factor.
    This. The good thing about the "FBI" load (or the lesser-known "RCMP" load) is that there is indeed enough track record to make theoretical discussions moot. Short answer: for 2" K-frames, Remington's version has a respectable record in shootings, with the same acknowledgement that we've come a ways down the road in bullet design with regard to intermediate barriers.

The Remmy is my go-to short-barrel load for anything that isn't a lightweight 5-shot. Granted, I'm a very low-speed guy, so grain of salt and all that, but the actual usage stats aren't bad. Shoots pretty much to POA with all my K-frames, too.

If you don’t believe a HP will expand from your 2” barrel a better option would be the old NYPD issue loaf, the 158 grain +p LSWC (not hp).
    Not doubting you one bit, but as I understand things, a SWC does not cut a full caliber hole, rather the diameter is the same as the narrow top portion of the round. Additionally, if 148gr WCs penetrate on the high side, a 158gr SWC (with more mass and less surface area) will penetrate more.

As a woods load, I can see a 158gr +P SWC out of a steel revolver being a sound choice. Not sure about personal defense in an urban environment. Also, not sure what advantage a +P gives over standard pressure in a non-expanding round, other than penetration. I have relied on 158gr SWCs (standard pressure, non-HP) as my speed loader reload, but thats due to its shape, not its performance, and I am working on speeding up my reloads using WCs.

Again, my knowledge is limited, and my personal experience limited still more. My doubts about HPs out of a 2" barrel come from reports read on this forum, as well as others, where they often failed to expand after passing through 4LD, especially if it was cold outside. As my J-frame is often carried on my ankle, and it's cold where I live 9 months a year, that factor concerns me.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Moonshot View Post
    Not doubting you one bit, but as I understand things, a SWC does not cut a full caliber hole, rather the diameter is the same as the narrow top portion of the round. Additionally, if 148gr WCs penetrate on the high side, a 158gr SWC (with more mass and less surface area) will penetrate more.

As a woods load, I can see a 158gr +P SWC out of a steel revolver being a sound choice. Not sure about personal defense in an urban environment. Also, not sure what advantage a +P gives over standard pressure in a non-expanding round, other than penetration. I have relied on 158gr SWCs (standard pressure, non-HP) as my speed loader reload, but thats due to its shape, not its performance, and I am working on speeding up my reloads using WCs.

Again, my knowledge is limited, and my personal experience limited still more. My doubts about HPs out of a 2" barrel come from reports read on this forum, as well as others, where they often failed to expand after passing through 4LD, especially if it was cold outside. As my J-frame is often carried on my ankle, and it's cold where I live 9 months a year, that factor concerns me.
    I grew up with several NYPD. officers who used that load effectively but that’s not the point.

The point is not whether it “cuts a full hole” but rather shot placement and adequate penetration to reach vitals. That could include shooting through winter clothing or shooting through an intervening body part like an arm or hand.

One former co-worker of mine used this load in a subway car. The bullet passed through the suspect, ricocheted twice and struck him in the upper forehead. The bullet broke the skin and followed the curve of his skull under the skin for a few inches.

The point of that story (besides over penetration being a thing) is bullets do funny things in the real world and you knew know exactly what they are going to do.

Factory wadcutters are target loads, as such they are loaded to low velocities. As a trade off for shootability it’s worthwhile in alloy J frames because shot placement > terminal performance. In a steel K frame, I would choose either the classic FBI load or similar, if the hollow point expands, great, but I’m not counting on it either way.

You could hand load a WC to higher velocities but hand loading defense ammunition in 21st century America is a non starter.
    Last edited by HCM; 05-20-2018 at 02:31 PM.

I've seen good results with both the old FBI load and the 135 grain Speer GDHP+P out of a snubbie. I'd feel adequately prepared with either one of those in my gat. I currently use the Gold Dot, but if I couldn't find any I'd have no problem with the feeb load. The HBWC is a good choice in a J frame sized gun because of the limitations of the gun, not because of any special sauce the HBWC provides. In that case, it's a matter of making the most with what you have. With a larger steel gun you have more options.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    What about a 148-grain double-ended wadcutter? I believe there are some plated ones around. May not be quite as Bullseye-accurate as a HBWC, but will be shorter overall so should stabilize better and stay accurate to longer range, while still cutting the full-size WC hole. Its more solid construction may deal with intermediate barriers better and allow loading to slightly higher velocities.

https://underwoodammo.com/product/ha...ead-wadcutter/
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Site Supporter
    I think the two would perform the same. HBWC's enter these discussions because some suggest turning them "backwards" so that the hollow end forms a hollow point. Unless I'm interpreting Doc's wrings incorrectly, this arrangement is not his recommendation. His recommendation is a wadcutter loaded in the traditional manner. A double-ended wadcutter is solid and looks the same on both ends. The reason is that the handloader can pick them up and place them in cases without checking to see which end is going in. Most wadcutters have a crimp groove. Double-ended ones would have a groove on each end. The other solid variety has a crimp groove on one end only. Both types are solid in the sense that neither has a hollow base.
    Last edited by willie; 05-21-2018 at 10:29 PM.

The K-frame 38's did best with 158gr. loads from an accuracy standpoint. If you want one on the warm side, here's a good one from Buffalo Bore.
    https://www.buffalobore.com/index.ph...t_detail&p=108
    US Navy Veteran
    1961-1965

Quote Originally Posted by Frank R View Post
    The K-frame 38's did best with 158gr. loads from an accuracy standpoint. If you want one on the warm side, here's a good one from Buffalo Bore.
    https://www.buffalobore.com/index.ph...t_detail&p=108
    I’ve shot enough of that load out of my 4" NY-1 to buy dinner at a good restaurant in Lima. It’s very warm. Honestly, I wish BB would dial it down about 85fps. The old RCMP was reportedly 1000fps out of 4", as was the Cor-bon iteration. The BB is killer out of a 4 5/8" Blackhawk, though.

What I’d really like to see in .38 is a +P Gold Dot 147 grain going around 950-975 out of a 4" K-frame.

The FBI LSWCHP load has a proven record in actual shootings as long as intermediate barriers aren’t a factor.
    While function isn’t as much of an issue in a revelover, you need to know the POA/POI of your carry ammo.

Though only occasionally used for CCW, my much-loved older humpback S&W 649 .38 Special +P has perfect correspondence between POA and POI with the Remington 158gr LSWCHP+P, so that's what I carry in it.

The Speer Gold Dot 135gr+P Short Barrel load hits low.
    148gr wadcutters hit low.

(FWIW, both the Winchester and Remington 158gr LSWCHP loads hit at POA, but the Remington bullet is softer lead, and the load also shoots noticeably cleaner than the same offering from Winchester, IME.)
    "Therefore, since the world has still... Much good, but much less good than ill,
    And while the sun and moon endure, Luck's a chance, but trouble's sure,
    I'd face it as a wise man would, And train for ill and not for good." -- A.E. Housman

For years I have read the recommendation of the 135 gold dot. Until recently I have not been able to find them in stock anywhere. I do have a box I got in a trade but I hate to admit their age. I carry them in my snub. I have a model 60 and shoot a lot of 158 lswc and 148 Dewc. I am trying to figure out if I want to carry gold dots, standard pressure lswc, or full wadcutter. I have found them all in stock.

User Tag List