Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What was the model 27/28 reputation from the past?

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    That's beyond impressive.

How much magnum shooting could K frames endure compared to an L or an N.
    I doubt it's a linear progression, but N>L>K.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    That's beyond impressive.

How much magnum shooting could K frames endure compared to an L or an N.
    I doubt it's a linear progression, but N>L>K.
    As most of us already know, even moreso with lighter bullets.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

My first security job, when I was a kid, growing up in Texarkana was an ole pickle plant. It was spooky at night with all the open vats full of vinegar and cucumbers. It was a comfort carrying my old 4" model 28.
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Zeke38 View Post
    Trooper 224, you are correct about stressing the weapon through rapid fire DA. I rebuilt a friends Pre 27 as the old weapon had "major pushoff" and headspace problems. Asked him how many rounds he had put through it. His answer " 2 five gallon bucket loads of lead"! Asked him how many rounds and he said " 37,000 plus or minus a hundred". Then I asked him How many were Magnums? Answer: " All of em, I got 38s for shooting 38s.

The 357 was an 8 3/8s barreled model and I watched him make a head on chest shot on a Coyote at 152 yards, one round fired, one dead coyote. Stepped off the distance, days before laser range finders. The guy was an old rancher here in Idaho and was a great shot.
    I'd say that's beyond getting your moneys worth. Discussions like this bring up interesting points. Back in the day (I hate using that expression but find myself doing so more and more.) we understood that guns were machines and like any machine it would eventually need maintenance. Today, we've gotten so indoctrinated to a disposable society that any thought of maintenance and/or upkeep gives people the vapors. Even the most routine maintenance issues seem foreign and lend a sense of trepidation. I've lost count of the times coworkers have brought personally owned weapons to me for issues they could have figured out themselves with a simple Google search. It's as if we've been conditioned to avoid even making the effort.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Quote Originally Posted by deputyG23 View Post
    I have passed up too many reasonably priced N frames in the last few years. One was a M58 with funky aftermarket stocks in a LGS in Fredericksburg, VA priced at $495. I didn’t want to add another caliber to the reloading list.
    A finish worn 4” M28 with Magna stocks turned up at a LGS in Mechanicsville, VA on the consignment shelf for $475 about two years ago. Didn’t bite on that one either..Regretting both decisions now.
    I'm at a point now where I have a hard time passing up an N Frame Smith. They're my favorite handguns and stir my soul like nothing else.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    I've lost count of the times coworkers have brought personally owned weapons to me for issues they could have figured out themselves with a simple Google search. It's as if we've been conditioned to avoid even making the effort.
    Or read too many 37-page threads about the horrible fates that befall people who dare to work on their own firearms.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Just to emphasize.....cops won a ton of Gunfights with serious criminals with these things for a lot of years. You do your part, they’ll do theirs.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    Or read too many 37-page threads about the horrible fates that befall people who dare to work on their own firearms.
    True, but when it's literally something as simple as turning a screw it's hardly in the same league.

These things are also capable of wonderous work. This was the first 6 rounds at ten yards when I got this $425 Old Model 28 back from Frank Glen. Good duty action job and a well done muzzle crown.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Quote Originally Posted by Dagga Boy View Post
    These things are also capable of wonderous work. This was the first 6 rounds at ten yards when I got this $425 Old Model 28 back from Frank Glen. Good duty action job and a well done muzzle crown.
    Man DB, those grips are retro.

User Tag List