Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What was the model 27/28 reputation from the past?

Quote Originally Posted by 314159 View Post
    For those with the memory/experiences/studies of the old days of police work:

What was the daily user's opinion of the S&W Model 27 or 28 way back when?

Too darn heavy to carry, great for the hard kicking magnums, awkward due to the weight, better/worse than the Python; that sort of stuff. I've always liked the 3.5 inch 27's and a good friend has a Highway Patrolman I've always admired but how many agencies issued them and how successful were they as an issue piece?
    I started my career with a four inch 27. This was in 91-92 when the revolver was largely being replaced with semi-autos, but the small dept. I started with mandated revolvers in .38 or .357. If you carried a wheel gun at the time it was likely an S&W 686 or maybe a GP100, so my big N Frame was something of an anachronism even then. I got a lot of crap for it from some of the guys I worked with concerning my big cannon, but I was also one of the few that wore a "revolver expert" pin on my uniform when it meant something. The N Frame fit my big hands as if it was tailored made and full power magnum loads were like +P .38s, gargantuan muzzle blast not withstanding. It served me very well until I went to work for the staties and had to carry the mandated weapon.

Was it heavy? Yeah, but I was young and tough and could have cared less, nor did I have to contend with the additional thirty pounds of crap I carry today. I never had a single problem with it and it kept on keeping on when lighter guns were in need of service. I loved that gun and one of the biggest mistakes I've ever made was trading it off. I thought it was awesome and still do. If I was told I'd have to carry one again, I wouldn't voice approval but I wouldn't lose any sleep over it. The 27 served me very well on a couple of defining occasions and I have no doubt it could do so again. I just got back from the range and a session with my new to me Model 29 and it reminds me that I actually miss carrying a wheel gun, on serval non-logical levels.
    Last edited by Trooper224; 05-20-2018 at 03:51 PM.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

When I was 12 years old in 1969, my Dad started me shooting with a 6" S&W Model 28. We shot everything from Super Vel to .38 Special. I never saw the recoil problem with a N frame and .357 loads. This opinion did not make me universally popular with other shooters.

I always lusted after a 27 but by the time I could afford one i had read a lot of Elmer Keith and bought several 4" pinned counter sunk .44 Magnum S&W#29s .

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Did they ever get out of time with a lot of rapid fire DA and the heavy cylinder?
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Yes they did. Started carrying a 28 on duty in 72. Heavy, accurate, reliable. Guys tried the 27/28s in PPC we had no ICORE, IPSC, IDPA and found that hundreds of fast DA rolling of the cylinder then stops egg shaped the cylinder notches. They also wouldn't take the longer 170 grain plus bullets, short cylinders.

Two more reasons for L Frames. Soon as I went to work for a Sheriff's Office I switched to 44s in 4" 29s. Couple ounces lighter and easier to shoot, less muzzle flash and report. Think single wide trailer house interior, with flame throwing, 357s damage hearing. No one guy who touched a 357 SuperVel off inside one of those tin boxes and he is still deaf as a stone 40 years later.

Carried the old Remington 240 FN at 1,000 fps and it was accurate with good recoil recovery. Also good for putting down injured big game due to big game/ car accidents.

If you're going to carry an N frame may the caliber begin with 4.
    Last edited by Zeke38; 05-20-2018 at 06:41 PM. Reason: Add data

I always wanted a 28 back in the pre-semi auto days, but never managed to acquire one. I did get a chance to play with a friend’s 4” 629 alongside my 69a few months ago, and the N’s larger size was much more apparent than I expected. I’d still love a 58, though!

There's still plenty of revolvers on my "want" list. And most of them are N-Frame Smiths.

A Registered Magnum.
    A 3.5" M27.
    A pair of M58s, a San Antonio PD one and a San Francisco PD one.
    A 4" and 6" M29
    And of course a smattering of 8-shooters and 6-shooters in .45 LC and ACP.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    Did they ever get out of time with a lot of rapid fire DA and the heavy cylinder?
    Only from heavy competition use. Just like the 29 started having problems when competitors in metallic silhouette shooting began pounding them repeatedly with heavy loads they weren't designed for. Stretch anything past its intended use and you'll have problems, shocking but true. You could encounter timing issues with a 27/28 but under normal duty type use it would take a long time to get there.
    Last edited by Trooper224; 05-20-2018 at 09:42 PM.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Trooper 224, you are correct about stressing the weapon through rapid fire DA. I rebuilt a friends Pre 27 as the old weapon had "major pushoff" and headspace problems. Asked him how many rounds he had put through it. His answer " 2 five gallon bucket loads of lead"! Asked him how many rounds and he said " 37,000 plus or minus a hundred". Then I asked him How many were Magnums? Answer: " All of em, I got 38s for shooting 38s.

The 357 was an 8 3/8s barreled model and I watched him make a head on chest shot on a Coyote at 152 yards, one round fired, one dead coyote. Stepped off the distance, days before laser range finders. The guy was an old rancher here in Idaho and was a great shot.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeke38 View Post
    Trooper 224, you are correct about stressing the weapon through rapid fire DA. I rebuilt a friends Pre 27 as the old weapon had "major pushoff" and headspace problems. Asked him how many rounds he had put through it. His answer " 2 five gallon bucket loads of lead"! Asked him how many rounds and he said " 37,000 plus or minus a hundred". Then I asked him How many were Magnums? Answer: " All of em, I got 38s for shooting 38s.

The 357 was an 8 3/8s barreled model and I watched him make a head on chest shot on a Coyote at 152 yards, one round fired, one dead coyote. Stepped off the distance, days before laser range finders. The guy was an old rancher here in Idaho and was a great shot.
    That's beyond impressive.

How much magnum shooting could K frames endure compared to an L or an N.
    Last edited by TheNewbie; 05-21-2018 at 01:08 AM.

Site Supporter
    I have passed up too many reasonably priced N frames in the last few years. One was a M58 with funky aftermarket stocks in a LGS in Fredericksburg, VA priced at $495. I didn’t want to add another caliber to the reloading list.
    A finish worn 4” M28 with Magna stocks turned up at a LGS in Mechanicsville, VA on the consignment shelf for $475 about two years ago. Didn’t bite on that one either..Regretting both decisions now.

User Tag List