Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: What was the model 27/28 reputation from the past?

Quote Originally Posted by Dagga Boy View Post
    Something to sleep on princess....it’s like a model 19 for grown ups..;-)
    Dayum, that's a beauty!

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Dobbs View Post
    Another job for Frank Glenn.
    From your lips to God's ears.

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    What's the going "fair" rate of a shooter 28? Anything under $800?
    Got the one I posted in this thread for 6 Benjamins, I'm not even sure that it's been fired outside of the factory.

Quote Originally Posted by NPV View Post
    Got the one I posted in this thread for 6 Benjamins, I'm not even sure that it's been fired outside of the factory.
    If I ever get a time machine, I’m gonna clean up.

N frames in agencies that did not issue them tended to be a sign of a “Gun Guy”. I have a 3.5”Registered Magnum from LAPD. The folks who remembered the guns said they remember 2 cops who carried them and both were very serious gunfighters who had shot a ton of crooks......sort of says something.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    If you carried a wheel gun at the time it was likely an S&W 686 or maybe a GP100, so my big N Frame was something of an anachronism even then. I got a lot of crap for it from some of the guys I worked with concerning my big cannon, but I was also one of the few that wore a "revolver expert" pin on my uniform when it meant something.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Dobbs View Post
    I love the Model 19 myself and found that it's lighter weight and seemed to be fast handling. As a very young (21 YOA) cop, I carried and shot one a lot. It became obvious very quickly that shooting lots of Magnum ammo in the gun was very hard on it from the endshake, timing and forcing cone wear imparted. When you get a clue about the 19, you realize it's a .38 Special you can shoot a few Magnums through, but not many. Bill Jordan, the father of the Combat Magnum (the real name for the gun), said that from the start.
    So, if the 27 and 28 were the gun of choice for tuned-in beat cops, what would said cops carry either off-duty or if they switched to a plainclothes assignment? That's a mighty big gun to conceal.

Was the 13 and 19 the plainclothes gun of choice while the 27/28 was used for uniform duty and heavy range days, or did guys typically run with the J-frame that I'm guessing they most likely carried as a BUG on duty?

Blues should jump in here too.

FWIW, we still have plenty of spare Combat Magnums and SP101s in the inventory. It's not uncommon for our guys to get to an assignment and have to rely on a loaner wheelgun until their own gear arrives......I know several people who've had to do such. This is one of the ways that I rationalize spending time on mine instead of only shooting the Glock 19, and if the need were to arise I'd gladly loan someone my G19 and carry the spare 2.5" Combat Magnum because after "studying" under rsa-otc I can probably run them more effectively than 99.9% of my agency. We shoot and qualify on both in our firearms instructor course, but it's very basic and most people only understand them as "that silver revolver and the black one."

In truth, I just love shooting them.
    Last edited by TGS; 07-11-2018 at 12:54 PM.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post

Blues should jump in here too.
    Just back from my annual LEOSA qual.

I don't have a lot to contribute, T. When I came on the job in the early 80's I was issued a 2" Model 15, though FLETC was still doing firearms training with the 2.5" Model 19, (which I preferred).

Then, after a while it became apparent that the cool guys at work would be issued a 2" Model 36, which I eventually received. (I had already purchased one at Jovino's for off-duty prior to this.)

When I transferred down to south FL in the middle 80's I was issued a stainless (Model 66) which I carried until I was issued a Colt Gov't Model that had been turned in by another agent. After that it was semi-auto pistols but for my off-duty 36 which I eventually traded in at Lou's Gun Shop in Hialeah. (The local cop shop.)

In NYC, we'd run out to Gene DeSantis' place in New Hyde Park when he had a leather order ready for our outfit.
    Last edited by blues; 07-11-2018 at 01:27 PM.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

“Was the 13 and 19 the plainclothes gun of choice while the 27/28 was used for uniform duty and heavy range days, or did guys typically run with the J-frame that I'm guessing they most likely carried as a BUG on duty?”

I carried a 25-5 at work. Never came home. Did have a round butted one built for concealed carry. I carried a 3” Model 13 off duty and then wore it behind my speed loaders at work when I was slimmer as a young cop. I carried a Model 36 or 38 on my ankle. Keep in mind in the very old days, the manner of men’s dress was conducive to large guns. 2” guns were really popular for off duty for most of the revolver years. The big N’s tended to be uniform only.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Also....better picture.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

I carried my 27 off duty in a holster from El Paso Saddlery. I only did so because I was poor and had babies to feed. A dedicated off duty gun wasn't really an option. When I went to work for the state, the resulting pay raise allowed me to acquire more guns, so from that point, through the next two decades, it was a 1911 for off duty and non-uniform carry. That original four inch 27 was traded off about a year after joining the staties, something I still kick myself for.
    Last edited by Trooper224; 07-11-2018 at 05:25 PM.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Also....better picture.
    That is gorgeous.

User Tag List