Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Garmin Fenix 5X sapphire

A few weeks ago me and my boy did a 19 mile overnight backpacking trip in the Guadalupe Mountains National Park (prepping for some late summer backcountry work).
    We were getting some trail info from the Ranger at the Dog Canyon trailhead, this is the seldom visited backside of the park (we didn't see another person the entire 19 mile loop) and my boy noticed the Ranger was wearing a Fenix 5x on his wrist as well.
    We took a very rarely used trail (the Ranger said it was a "bit overgrown" LOL) that flat out disappeared for about 1.5 miles, having a GPS on my wrist with a Topo installed that had the trail marked made the bushwhacking so much simpler than messing with my handheld constantly. Knowing where we were at a glance as well as the general trail location at a glance saved us a lot of time and probably a lot of back tracking and zig zagging.
    The elevation plot, average pace, time to sunset, time to next waypoint etc. also made adjusting our plans "on the fly" much easier.
    Last edited by JodyH; 05-21-2018 at 06:47 AM.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Thoughts on Garmin tactix Charlie?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Thoughts on Garmin tactix Charlie?
    Looks like a blacked out Fenix 5x with some different apps pre-loaded and a NV compatible backlight mode.
    So it should be GTG although if there's much of a price premium i'd probably just get the 5x Sapphire and load the "tactical" apps myself since the NV mode isn't something I need.

BTW, I loaded a really decent ballistics calculator (TruFlite) onto my 5x, worth it if you have a "rainbow" cartridge like .308 and need more precise dope at long ranges than what your "Cliff's Notes" buttstock dope card has.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."

Anyone tried the Shot Timer app?
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Quote Originally Posted by Drang View Post
    Anyone tried the Shot Timer app?
    Just downloaded it into my 5x.
    I'm headed to the range this morning and will see how the readings compare to my CE Pocket Pro timer.
    I'll report back with a review later.

Shot Timer is a bust.
    Out of 4 magazines (17 rounders) worth of 2 to 6 round draw and shoots not once did it record the correct number of shots much less give me accurate split times.
    Changing the sensitivity by one level went from recording not enough shots to recording way too many.
    Good idea, good looking app, horrible execution.

A note on HRM performance. The 5 series appear to have the same optical HR sensor accuracy and resolution behavior as all the other optical sensors on the market. Same lag when sensing HR change (affects resolution) and not uncommon to bobble a bit high or low for short periods of time. You can always pair with a chest strap if HR resolution or instant accuracy is desired.

Garmin Fenix 5X sapphire

Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    Shot Timer is a bust.
    Out of 4 magazines (17 rounders) worth of 2 to 6 round draw and shoots not once did it record the correct number of shots much less give me accurate split times.
    Changing the sensitivity by one level went from recording not enough shots to recording way too many.
    Good idea, good looking app, horrible execution.
    Maybe your recoil control is just too good, dude.

Did you swap wrists with it? I wonder if it would be sensitive to which hand...

If this shot timer thing would work it just might replace my Apple Watch.
    Last edited by LOKNLOD; 05-26-2018 at 04:04 PM.
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

Just picked up a regular Fenix 5. What apps, widgets, and watch faces are recommended?

Super old thread, but I'm researching the Fenix 6 series currently, and glad JodyH, et al gave their thoughts, as the 6 should equal the 5, just newer. Will be used for MTB, hiking, backpacking, running, etc.

The battery life management features are a huge benefit in my opinion.

User Tag List