Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Garmin Fenix 5X sapphire

Quote Originally Posted by Bobert1035 View Post
    Super old thread, but I'm researching the Fenix 6 series currently, and glad JodyH, et al gave their thoughts, as the 6 should equal the 5, just newer. Will be used for MTB, hiking, backpacking, running, etc.

The battery life management features are a huge benefit in my opinion.
    I sold my Apple Watch series 5 a few weeks ago and picked up a Fenix 6X Sapphire. I just couldn’t deal with having to charge my watch every night anymore and really was never a fan of how the Apple Watch looked, even though the catalyst case I got helped with that.

I’ve only had to charge the Fenix once since I got it, it looks 1000x better and just seems more rugged. I would say if your wrist can handle the size of the 6X over the 6 I would go that route to get extra battery life and a bigger screen.

I use it to track my runs, walks with the kid/dogs, and bike rides so I’m not even scratching the surface of what it is capable of. It can’t do as much smart watch stuff as the Apple Watch, but I really don’t care to interact with my watch. The Fenix does give me notifications and then I can decide if I should reach for my phone or not, which is my preference. The only smart feature I kinda miss is the Apple Watch automatically unlocking my MacBook, but having to use the fingerprint scanner is a pretty small cross to bear.

Before buying, I’d suggest checking to see if you can get a discount through your health insurance provider. I was able to get 30% off by going through BCBS.

I’d also suggest picking up a set of these, as they allow the watch to charge sitting flat, and have a longer cord than the one garmin includes.

https://www.amazon.com/EZCO-Compatib.../dp/B07L3TQP9B

Quote Originally Posted by dontshakepandas View Post

Before buying, I’d suggest checking to see if you can get a discount through your health insurance provider. I was able to get 30% off by going through BCBS.

Awesome feedback, you sold me! Pulling out my BCBS card now, as that would be a huge win if its the case for my policy as well!

Rob

My 5x sapphire is still going strong.
    Battery life is still 2 weeks and it's never glitched on me once.
    Pretty damn impressive for a "smart device".

Me and my son will be hiking Wheeler Peak (easy day hike to the highest point in New Mexico) on Tuesday morning and it'll be on my wrist like usual.
    Then a few days later we'll go do Guadalupe Peak and bag the highest point in Texas.
    He's pretty stoked about our upcoming "peak bagging" week.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Damn you...
    I just priced a 6 Solar Pro through BCBS and it's $60 cheaper than anywhere else.
    Now I gotta buy it.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

I've had the 5X Sapphire for almost six months now, really like it.

My only complaint is not being able to hide text message content on the screen.

I picked up a Garmin Instinct during the recent sale. I considered the Fenix but I know I would just barely scratch the surface on its capability. For a basic fitness tracking watch with a few smart features, the Instinct is working really well for me. I consider it a really good upgrade from the beater G-shocks I've been wearing for the last 16 years.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

Site Supporter
    I’d also suggest picking up a set of these, as they allow the watch to charge sitting flat, and have a longer cord than the one garmin includes.

https://www.amazon.com/EZCO-Compatib.../dp/B07L3TQP9B
    Thanks for the link, ordered a pack for my Fénix 5. Also ordered two packs of Bianchi speed strips to bump the total to $25.19 to qualify for free shipping. I'm hoping to find a snubby class in the near future and can use some more.

Re: using a heart rate strap or not, the wrist measurement works for some folks but not for me, at least for running. It typically overstates HR by 30-40 bpm on me, regardless of how tight or loose the strap is. I use a HR strap with my bike computer so using it with the watch is no biggie.

Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    Damn you...
    I just priced a 6 Solar Pro through BCBS and it's $60 cheaper than anywhere else.
    Now I gotta buy it.
    My research indicated that the solar functionality was a little gimmicky and didn't result in much more battery life, so unless you really want the metal band you could probably get the 6X Sapphire and save some more cash.

Quote Originally Posted by MGW View Post
    I picked up a Garmin Instinct during the recent sale. I considered the Fenix but I know I would just barely scratch the surface on its capability. For a basic fitness tracking watch with a few smart features, the Instinct is working really well for me. I consider it a really good upgrade from the beater G-shocks I've been wearing for the last 16 years.
    I actually ordered the Instinct first, but ended up ordering the Fenix before it arrived and sent the Instinct back. I think it is a really awesome option, especially for the price. I just really prefer bigger watches and wanted the extra 6mm of the 6X. I think Garmin did a great job on the Instinct with the functionality for the dollar, and I really like the style also.

Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    Thanks for the link, ordered a pack for my Fénix 5. Also ordered two packs of Bianchi speed strips to bump the total to $25.19 to qualify for free shipping. I'm hoping to find a snubby class in the near future and can use some more.

Re: using a heart rate strap or not, the wrist measurement works for some folks but not for me, at least for running. It typically overstates HR by 30-40 bpm on me, regardless of how tight or loose the strap is. I use a HR strap with my bike computer so using it with the watch is no biggie.
    I believe Garmin upgraded the HR sensor between the 5 and 6 (not sure if it was the 5 plus or 6). I had a 5 before my Apple Watch and the HR readings were always very inaccurate, especially when biking. It was so bad I actually had Garmin send me a warranty replacement and I had the same results with the replacement. I'm getting MUCH better results on the 6X. I don't think wrist measurements can be as accurate as a good chest measurement, but this gets me close enough that I don't worry about it.

Site Supporter Notorious E.O.C.'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MGW View Post
    +1. I've been using an Instinct for the past year and have been quite happy with it. It has the classic G-Shock look with a heck of a lot broader feature set. For me, the lower (than the Fenix) price point is also easier to handle for something I know is not going to be a lifetime purchase.

I went to the Instinct from a ForeRunner 235 and expected to have gripes with the lack of a color screen. Truth be told, I don't miss it at all. The Instinct's monochrome display seems a bit crisper and it's less distracting. My only gripe is the wild inaccuracy of the barometric storm warning function.
    The way we do science in XCOM is basically by shooting things first.
    - Jake Solomon

Site Supporter Notorious E.O.C.'s Avatar
    Garmin now has solar-charging versions of the Instinct and Fenix. As always, DC Rainmaker's reviews (Fenix; Instinct) are ridiculously comprehensive.
    The way we do science in XCOM is basically by shooting things first.
    - Jake Solomon

User Tag List