Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Intuit, Quickbooks steals tens of thousands of dollars from Gunsite

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawker800 View Post
    I’d hate to mess with people who are professional gunslingers.[emoji57]
    Because they'll do what exactly over a non-criminal legal issue?

Maybe I'm oversensitive at 6am, but I really get tired of the "don't mess with the gun dudes" meme. The response will be the same whether they're gunslingers or pastry slingers.

Chris

This is not new. Several financial institutions have decided not to bank or process gun related businesses. Intuit handled this badly by reversing the funds instead of simply stating a stop date and informing the customer. As to it being on Gunsite, well I've never read the fine print when onboarding a new credit card processor and I don't think anyone does. Not anymore than anyone reads click-through software end user agreements (EULAs). The Intuit rep should have been the one to raise the point.

What infuriates me is that nobody on the left will acknowledge the hypocrisy in this. Liberals will, and have, forced conservatives to perform services that violate their beliefs by taking them through a liberal court district. Bakers and photographers for gay weddings for instance. But the left will praise Intuit's actions as a creative "by any means necessary" way to squash activity they deem undesirable.

I would like to see federal level agencies (Comptroller of the Currency, Federal Reserve Bank, Justice Dpt, whoever has the jurisdiction to whack pee-pees at banks) tell these pantywaist bankers that their federal/state charters will be yanked if they refuse service to people engaged in a legal commerce, even if the bank doesn't like. Everyone gets to ride the bus.

Was Gunsite using Quicken for "MOTO firearms and weapons sales"?
    We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

Dopey me. I should have read the article before commenting.
    We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

So, while I agree that Gunsite should have been more diligent in reading the terms of use for Quickbooks. If the discussion as presented in the article is accurate...

About ten days ago the Gunsite bookkeeper found herself on the receiving end of a phone call from QuickBooks. The company felt there was “trouble” because they had realized Gunsite sold knives and guns on their website. This, the QuickBooks rep said, meant sales weren’t face-to-face and “kids could buy them.”

Gunsite took the time to patiently, politely educate the rep on how FFLs work and explain the laws and processes of firearm sales. Once the process and regulations were laid out, the rep backpedaled, saying now that they understood the procedure, it was alright after all and business could continue.
    Then I feel like what QuickBooks should do is release the monies and terminate the contract with Gunsite (moot point, but you get the idea). Because the Gunsite Bookkeeper was apparently given the go ahead by an Intuit Rep. Even if the Rep was mistaken, there is a good faith component here. While not contractually bound in this scenario, good faith would dictate that a Rep giving you the go ahead is sufficient for you to not think you were in the wrong and were not willfully operating in violation of QuickBook's terms. At least, to my mind, all monies received after this discussion with the Rep should be released to Gunsite, because they believed they were operating free and clear.

Monies received prior to this rep, could be held and refunded.

Also, firearms sales do happen face-to-face, given that firearms must be shipped to a licensed FFL and the transfer occurs between FFL holders to an end-user in person (therefore Intuit's policy isn't technically accurate...). Additionally, money paid out for firearms training and other items should be not be refunded to the payers, because that is not in violation of the services. The only real violation here is knife sales (and only if knives count as "weapons" in a broadly stated policy by Intuit). If they hold and return all money owed to Gunsite, then off to court this should go, in my opinion.

IANAL and the laws may vary. But contracts are only as strong as the words and terms used to describe them. Given what is here (a kind of boilerplate that doesn't get into the realized nuance of the situation), a decent contract lawyer can probably have the funds released in an out-of-court settlement fairly quickly.

Damn, I really liked using TurboTax these last few years. I'll check out the alternatives Blues posted.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Quote Originally Posted by DanM View Post
    Damn, I really liked using TurboTax these last few years. I'll check out the alternatives Blues posted.
    Dan, I'd go straight to FreeTaxUSA, (or it's parent TaxHawk, essentially the same thing). I was leery at first due to the goofy name but it was able to upload my tax return from TaxAct, (and does the same for TurboTax as I recall), and was very intuitive and quick to use. Everything I needed for our federal and state returns was readily available.

Data input is very easy though you can't just skip around and do just the forms as I used to do. You kind of have to follow the program from one section of the return to the next...but it's easy to tell it that a particular area doesn't apply and move on. You can always return to a section you may have skipped over.

I'll be using it again next year unless they have a large, unexpected price increase.
    Last edited by blues; 05-21-2018 at 12:10 PM.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Apparently, Lone Wolf Distributors and Flint River Armory were hit for $150,000 by Intuit et al.

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/201...ibutors-money/

For those concerned about TTAG's veracity, I confirmed the original story with Gunsite COO Ken Campbell before sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by Angus McFee View Post
    Apparently, Lone Wolf Distributors and Flint River Armory were hit for $150,000 by Intuit et al.

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/201...ibutors-money/

For those concerned about TTAG's veracity, I confirmed the original story with Gunsite COO Ken Campbell before sharing.
    This is not the America I was brought up in...nor is it the America I want. This country has lost its way.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Jones View Post
    Damn it. I literally just spent weeks trying out various small business accounting software packages and settled on Quickbooks because it is the only one I could find that could connect to my bank and access my business accounts. Fuck me.
    Don't feel too alone. I've been looking for an alternative for about 5 years now. I've found nothing suitable for a small LLC or S Corp running out of a home that needs to do automated payroll tax filings and payments. I do my filings and payments monthly and it takes me literally maybe 5 minutes. There's nothing out there (that I've found) that's affordable for this and it pisses me off too. Quickbooks Payroll seems to be a monopoly in this regard.

User Tag List