Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Not buying anything else!

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JATA View Post
    I just don't know enough about who's who in the training world. Most of my training has been provided by my employers. I do not mind spending airfare, and a few bills on tuition BUT I don't want to GIVE money to someone who shouldn't be teaching. I'm in unfamiliar territory, on this.
    I had the same concern. As a "regular guy", I don't even have the benefit of "work-related training", so I'm really in the dark. What I decided on was to focus on instructors affiliated with this site or those they recommend. I assume any yahoos will have been drummed out long ago. Additionally, I'm limiting myself to courses within driving distance of home to reduce cost (and financial risk) and to courses around the $200/day range. I may stretch that budget for special classes or those that are highly and universally recommended (thus reducing the risk as a customer).

Anyway, that's my strategy for minimizing risk.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    I had the same concern. As a "regular guy", I don't even have the benefit of "work-related training", so I'm really in the dark. What I decided on was to focus on instructors affiliated with this site or those they recommend. I assume any yahoos will have been drummed out long ago. Additionally, I'm limiting myself to courses within driving distance of home to reduce cost (and financial risk) and to courses around the $200/day range. I may stretch that budget for special classes or those that are highly and universally recommended (thus reducing the risk as a customer).

Anyway, that's my strategy for minimizing risk.

Chris

Good thinking, I'll see what I find as far as "affiliated with this site". Thanks.

The absence of prior training might actually make it easier. For me, I have to find a course that picks up where mine has left off and without being required to take a bunch of prerequisites. I've seen some that have kind of a Qual test to determine if you can skip the intro level stuff they offer.

But yea, I'm totally with ya here, quality training is money well spent. Good luck on your class. I clicked the link in your post and skimmed it a little, looks pretty cool.
    "Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of liberty" ~ Thomas Jefferson

Site Supporter
    Good thinking, I'll see what I find as far as "affiliated with this site". Thanks.

The absence of prior training might actually make it easier. For me, I have to find a course that picks up where mine has left off and without being required to take a bunch of prerequisites. I've seen some that have kind of a Qual test to determine if you can skip the intro level stuff they offer.

But yea, I'm totally with ya here, quality training is money well spent. Good luck on your class. I clicked the link in your post and skimmed it a little, looks pretty cool.
    Something to think about: There is no “advanced training” just stacking and grouping fundamentals.

There are different versions of fundamentals. Sometimes it is worth while to go back and look at other people’s versions of fundamentals. In fact, sometimes you need to tear down your fundamentals and start over in order to make progress at higher levels.

Regarding training, Chuck Haggard (Agile Training) is based in KS. If you can drive a bit, there are many training opportunities in CO and OK. Spencer Keepers Of keepers concealment is based out of O.K. and brings in other trainers including Ernest Langdon.

Drive a little further and there are even more opportunities in the DFW area and in the opposite direction, the Brownells range in IA.

If you are LE DARC is worth looking into if you are serious about training.

The Rogers shooting school is another worthwhile destination.
    Last edited by HCM; 05-19-2018 at 12:38 PM.

Ok, now THAT is sound logic I completely agree with! Years ago I made the statement, to a friend who was buying this an that - I don't want any more guns, I just want more AMMO. It was a friend who bought more than shot, not a good way to hone a skill set. Neither is trying to chase proficiency around the store (if I just had this bbl, these sights).

I'm trying to plan a 2019 "Guncation" for a couple friends and myself. I just don't know enough about who's who in the training world. Most of my training has been provided by my employers. I do not mind spending airfare, and a few bills on tuition BUT I don't want to GIVE money to someone who shouldn't be teaching. I'm in unfamiliar territory, on this.

So far so good, tho. Been eyeing some new pistols, but I'm holding steady. "One day at a time" ~ Gun Junky motto
    If you're looking for a "guncation", check out Sig Academy in NH. You won't find as many "big name" instructors but the people they have and the training they offer are quality. It's also a great location, about 20 minutes from the NH seacoast and about an hour from Boston so there is other stuff to do around there besides shoot. You could easily put together an entire week of classes there and their classes run the gamut from basic intro classes to advanced instructor level classes and cover everything from backup guns to class III stuff, and everything in between. I'm sure you could find what you are looking for there.

HIM & VT 1032 -

Thank you very much for the recommendations. I'll be saving and researching those names. BTW, I realize it is just "stacking fundamentals" but I already have a little stack going and don't want to start over at ground level. Or at least I don't wanna travel and pay to do so. I know it can be helpful, I know because I've had to many times - switch agencies, and start a training course made for people who have never seen a pistol (being dead serious, true "cradle to grave" training).

I'm looking for shoot an move, awkward positions, more intermediate "pistol fighting" type stuff.

But I'm definitely gonna look into the names you guys gave, starting with the closest For legal (carry) reasons, not having to leave The Gunflower State would be ideal.
    "Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of liberty" ~ Thomas Jefferson

Hells Bells...if ya got a job and you ain't missing a mortgage payment, enjoy the difference between
    you and a welfare cheat...you get to spend your money your way.
    Guns are just machines and without you they can do no harm, nor any good

Site Supporter
    HIM & VT 1032 -

Thank you very much for the recommendations. I'll be saving and researching those names. BTW, I realize it is just "stacking fundamentals" but I already have a little stack going and don't want to start over at ground level. Or at least I don't wanna travel and pay to do so. I know it can be helpful, I know because I've had to many times - switch agencies, and start a training course made for people who have never seen a pistol (being dead serious, true "cradle to grave" training).

I'm looking for shoot an move, awkward positions, more intermediate "pistol fighting" type stuff.

But I'm definitely gonna look into the names you guys gave, starting with the closest For legal (carry) reasons, not having to leave The Gunflower State would be ideal.
    Given this, look at Will Petty of Centerfuge Training, Chase Jenkins of Talon Defense and Jared Reston of the Reston group.

Petty is best known for VCQB but he has other good courses including one called “well that sucks”.

If you are willing to travel to CA I highly recommend Scott Reitz and ITTS.
    Last edited by HCM; 05-19-2018 at 10:58 PM.

Vending Machine Operator
    I massively decreased the frequency of my gun purchases this year (only 1 so far this year, only 1 planned) and liquidated about 40% of my collection on PF and locally in order to pay off my student loan.

I don't think I'll ever get to the point of a true freeze. I will always want new toys. I will be here to cheer you on when you cave for something awesome.
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

My gun buying need is so bad, I’m searching for a 1911 to match a set of grips I bought...LOL! I’m totally serious, and I have another set of grips without a pistol arriving tomorrow.
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 270
Size:  24.1 KB
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 286
Size:  36.4 KB
    Arriving tomorrow:
    Name:  C9BE86F8-D506-43CE-99E1-E0DCE5BFEEB5.jpg
Views: 264
Size:  38.7 KB

I NEED a Glock. A local range has put in GSSF and I need something to shoot. Borrowing a pistol from a Lady shooter was embarrassing.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

User Tag List