Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Just do not understand, why different??

In my limited experience, new women shooters tend to be more accurate. Not all of them, but as a group I think this is true.
    Don’t blame me. I didn’t vote for that dumb bastard.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Re: the husband and wife thing, even if the husband actually knows both how to shoot and how to teach the dynamics of the relationship which will limit the effectiveness of the instruction.

You can teach your daughter to shoot, you can teach your sister, cousin, maybe even your mom to shoot but there will always be issues "teaching" a spouse or significant other. It's best left to a 3rd party.
    Part of this dynamic unfortunately is if the girl outshoots the guy-usually because said guy isn’t listening - the guy takes it far too personally.

On an RSO shift I checked in a couple who’d brought in a 30/30 levergun to shoot. The boyfriend bragged about being the fastest gun since John Dillinger , while the guns owner rolled her eyes and kept quiet. Dillinger 2.0 loaded the rifle and created the typical shotgun pattern at ten yards. His 4’2” girlfriend cranked the target to 20 yards and blasted the center out of the target.

When they checked out of the range Mr Dillinger was the quiet one,while his girlfriend was all smiles. Most women are conscientious enough of their spouses to not want that result and “adjust” their performance accordingly, especially when they’re both at a class and the man is too cool to listen to the instructor. He keeps shooting like crap and she doesn’t,and the guy gets salty. When it’s just women in a class taught by a woman, everyone can get down to business with no macho BS.
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

In short, women-only classes are popular not because women are difficult, but because men are.

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jwperry View Post
    It also keeps their "know it all" husbands/boyfriends/male companions from creating any level of intimidation.
    Firearms are pretty intimidating in general, and the "expert" husband can easily make that far worse by assuming he knows what he's doing. I've noticed my SO will often start asking me questions when we're in a class together, and I'm always careful to STFU and encourage her to ask the actual professional.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Re: the husband and wife thing, even if the husband actually knows both how to shoot and how to teach the dynamics of the relationship which will limit the effectiveness of the instruction.
    This is also very true. I teach for a living (not firearms) and pride myself on the amount of patience I have with students. Trying to teach my SO something, especially if it's some sort of hands-on skill? Patience is a fraction of what I can muster with anyone else. I have no idea why that happens, and I always feel like a collosal asshat later, but it happens none the less.
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

thank to everyone for the response, little more information on the why of the post. I was approached by few different ladies, at separate times seeking training and education. They asked, "Do you know a female firearm Instructor"? I carefully, asked the reason (thinking as many of you, they was assaulted, rape or ...). Come to find out they didn't want to learn from a guy. I went on to explain that it's the knowledge not the sex, and I understood how many can be super type A, but this was not. Had two come to training, the rest went to learn from a female Instructor (which I did tell them of one, close that I thought was good). So, I contacted her, letting her know she may have some contact her, and she said "don't worry, they will not" and thanked me.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by todd View Post
    thank to everyone for the response, little more information on the why of the post. I was approached by few different ladies, at separate times seeking training and education. They asked, "Do you know a female firearm Instructor"? I carefully, asked the reason (thinking as many of you, they was assaulted, rape or ...). Come to find out they didn't want to learn from a guy. I went on to explain that it's the knowledge not the sex, and I understood how many can be super type A, but this was not. Had two come to training, the rest went to learn from a female Instructor (which I did tell them of one, close that I thought was good). So, I contacted her, letting her know she may have some contact her, and she said "don't worry, they will not" and thanked me.
    I'm curious as to why she said "don't worry, they will not"

Quote Originally Posted by todd View Post
    she said "don't worry, they will not" and thanked me.
    And I think the other aspect of offering "women only" classes is an attempt to get more women to sign up. Just seems like if part of a business is offering classes, and half the population is a gender that is less comfortable with the topic at hand, making some of those potential clients just a little more comfortable might convert them to clients.

But I think in general, people of both genders want to learn but never follow through. I have standing offers with a LOTTA people that I have offered to take out for an introductory range trip and it almost never happens. They are all in at the barbecue or party, and some of them I reach out to once or twice, but most often it never materializes.

Agree with all that’s been said. Frankly, anything that helps women get solid instruction is a very good thing.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

One aspect of relationship dynamics, guys often dont like their women interacting closely with another man, besides just the not wanting her close to other men, the possibility that he may be able to do anything better than him with his woman is threatening to his self image. Coming back to the class without him, because told to do so by the male instructor, also can make him feel threatened in his relationship with her, and put her on the spot to not take the instructor too much to heart so to speak, and not let her man feel like he has anything to feel threatened in the jealously aspect. If she goes, and does very well, perhaps even better than her man, it still can put him on the spot, or her for letting herself interact with the male instructor enough to learn and excel. It all sounds so small minded and petty, but, people are weird. So yeah, women instructors can do things with women that men cant, and it has little to do with technical ability or knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    It all sounds so small minded and petty, but, people are weird.
    Some things are hard wired...

User Tag List