Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Houston School Shooting

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    You can't win by playing their game. It's their house, their rules, their deck, their dealers, and they will flat out cheat.

So, you go outside and play a different game.
    Less metaphor, please. I don't follow.
    "The victor is not victorious if the vanquished does not consider himself so."
    ― Ennius

Quote Originally Posted by Guerrero View Post
    Less metaphor, please. I don't follow.
    The media has no real interest in letting us spread our message accurately. They will work hard to mis-quote, out of context quote, slant, twist, and make us look like bad guys. If they don't flat ignore what we're trying to say and keep on publishing lies.

So, playing the reasonable spokesperson game is not one they're going to let us win. Time to go outside the classic media channels to get our message across.
    Happily, the news media is one of the most disliked and untrusted groups out there.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

A friend of mine who works in a school district bordering Santa Fe texted me this morning about increased police presence in the schools.

Then she said a kid was found with a firearm in a school she teaches at.

Then she said there were multiple students found with firearms at area schools.

It piqued a thought - not saying it's what's going on with any of these kids - but I wonder if some kids would actually bring a gun to school to defend themselves.

https://www.chron.com/news/education...ipid=happening

Three Houston-area schools were threatened with guns Monday morning, less than three days after a 17-year-old gunman opened fire at Santa Fe High School, killing 10 and wounding 13.

A student at League City Intermediate in Clear Creek ISD, located less than 15 miles from Santa Fe High, brought an unloaded gun with him to school Monday morning. He was arrested and transported to a juvenile detention facility, according to school district officials.

At La Marque High School in Texas City ISD, which is about 10 miles east of Santa Fe High, a male student texted someone and asked that they come to the school to bring him a gun.

In Huffman ISD, about 30 miles northeast of Houston, officials said a Hargrave High School student had a gun in his backpack while on-campus Monday morning, intending to harm himself. District staff took the student into custody at about 11:45 a.m. after receiving a tip from fellow students. Huffman ISD spokeswoman Shirley Dupree said she could not immediately comment on whether the gun was loaded.
    Last edited by schüler; 05-21-2018 at 02:32 PM. Reason: munged up formatting

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Contagion?
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Site Supporter
    I could see my (not-so-bright) 17yo self bringing a defensive gun to school given current hysteria.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Quote Originally Posted by schüler View Post
    ... I wonder if some kids would actually bring a gun to school to defend themselves...
    I have no idea what those neighborhoods are like but there are plenty of places in America where kids face daily threats having nothing to do with terrorists or spree killers. Wanting a tool to defend themselves can be understandable.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by LorenzoS View Post
    I have no idea what those neighborhoods are like but there are plenty of places in America where kids face daily threats having nothing to do with terrorists or spree killers. Wanting a tool to defend themselves can be understandable.
    When we thought there was an imminent threat of in-school violence (inner city big-city school), we grabbed the metal forks from the cafeteria.
    Not as good as a knife, but if you wrap it around your hand correctly with the tines spread out....
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar
    There was an interview on NPR (KERA in D/FW) with a UT Dallas criminologist discussing schools shootings which aired during the big student protest. She makes some solid points, and I've included some highlights below:

Criminologist Nadine Connell is leading a research team that's trying to get a better grasp on how guns have affected K-12 schools. The University of Texas at Dallas researchers are creating a database of all school shootings in America since 1990.

Connell talked about some of the misconceptions behind school shootings.

“Rampage shootings are much less common than what we believe by looking at the media, by looking at these numbers,” she said. “And by that I mean, the number of people who come onto a school campus with the intention of harming as many people as they can is very, very rare.”

Connell says it’s so rare that she doesn’t think “it should be the thing that we make all of our policy about.” She says many of these shooting cases are "basically community violence that has worked its way into the schools.”

"[The data] wraps up things like a shooting that happens at a university and a shooting that happens at a high school or a middle school — those aren’t the same things. Everybody at a university campus is over 18. University campuses are open spaces that anybody can walk into. If anybody can walk into your high school, you have a serious security problem. So these are apples and oranges and we cannot fix them with the same solution."
    The whole interview is only about four-and-a-half minutes, and is worth a listen.
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

Quote Originally Posted by schüler View Post
    A friend of mine who works in a school district bordering Santa Fe texted me this morning about increased police presence in the schools.

Then she said a kid was found with a firearm in a school she teaches at.

Then she said there were multiple students found with firearms at area schools.

It piqued a thought - not saying it's what's going on with any of these kids - but I wonder if some kids would actually bring a gun to school to defend themselves.

https://www.chron.com/news/education...ipid=happening
    That is already the case in multiple inner city schools,unfortunately.
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

Got an update on Officer Barnes. He's conscious and able to lift his arm and move his fingers but his kidneys are struggling at this point. He might have to go on dialysis.

User Tag List