Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Houston School Shooting

Quote Originally Posted by GardoneVT View Post
    The media will never be on board with decreasing mass shooter publicity. They’re a business,and their business is selling news. Especially bad news.
    Indeed; they’d have to be legislated into compliance. With all the pros, cons, difficulties, and contention this idea implies.

Something else I’ve noted before: school shootings may just be the cost of doing business in a free (but increasingly non-homogenous) society.

1A? 2A or 4A? How much do we chip away to slow these events down?

Site Supporter
    All of the BOR is under threat when a particular ideology is threatened. Both the right and left will get bent out of shape by 1st Amendment issues that offend their politics, theology, nationalism or whatever. The same goes for the 2nd Amend., etc.

There is a cognitive and emotional disconnect for people. Many want to carry a gun with its lethal potential but are bent out of shape if they don't like a couple's sexuality - which will never hurt them. Insult the flag or God - ban them - let's have a Constitutional amendment. Have Condi Rice at a college to give a speech - ban her.

What else is new?

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    All of the BOR is under threat when a particular ideology is threatened. Both the right and left will get bent out of shape by 1st Amendment issues that offend their politics, theology, nationalism or whatever. The same goes for the 2nd Amend., etc.

There is a cognitive and emotional disconnect for people. Many want to carry a gun with its lethal potential but are bent out of shape if they don't like a couple's sexuality - which will never hurt them. Insult the flag or God - ban them - let's have a Constitutional amendment. Have Condi Rice at a college to give a speech - ban her.

What else is new?
    Everyone cares about civil rights. Unfortunately,theyre not the same ones.
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post

I wonder if we should explicitly counsel young men that if you break up with someone, it is no big deal. Your male dominance is not lowered. It is just life. Find someone else. In fact, if you seek revenge or become a stalker, internet obsessed nut - that makes your image in the world lower - you are then a loser. If you move on, that's laudable.
    Absolutely, but why limit that to the young men? That's excellent counsel for all young (and older) people. And perhaps add in a program for teaching/conditioning/programming/neuroassociating, "My emotions do NOT equal reality. My emotions cloud my perception of reality." No! My emotions are... <ZAP!!> ...owww, uh, not all that important in the grand scheme of things...<cookie>
    You will more often be attacked for what others think you believe than what you actually believe. Expect misrepresentation, misunderstanding, and projection as the modern normal default setting. ~ Quintus Curtius

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    How about doing what they do? They blame the NRA, which we all understand is not the problem. The media actually directly facilitates the goals of each individual shooter. What if we all got together and applied social pressure to the media, pushing the message that detailed coverage is the prize the shooters are going for, and every media outlet that provides it is a collaborator in the deaths? Make it a culturally-driven self-directed standard that the media must stand by, rather than a governmentally-directed one?
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    How about doing what they do? They blame the NRA, which we all understand is not the problem. The media actually directly facilitates the goals of each individual shooter. What if we all got together and applied social pressure to the media, pushing the message that detailed coverage is the prize the shooters are going for, and every media outlet that provides it is a collaborator in the deaths? Make it a culturally-driven self-directed standard that the media must stand by, rather than a governmentally-directed one?
    I dig it, but how do you out-media big media?

Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    Indeed; they’d have to be legislated into compliance. With all the pros, cons, difficulties, and contention this idea implies.

Something else I’ve noted before: school shootings may just be the cost of doing business in a free (but increasingly non-homogenous) society.

1A? 2A or 4A? How much do we chip away to slow these events down?
    No. That's an attack on the First Amendment. Keep your government mitts off!

First, come up with a Euphemistic Name, which has little to do with reality other than sounding cool and would make anyone who opposes the movement instantly come across as Literally Hitlers, e.g., "Stop Children's Tears," "Let Our Babies Live," and so forth. Then -- get money from Soros under the guise of some leftist horse shit to pay people for marching, demonstrating, and causing chaos in front of all the media centers. We'd do it ourselves, but, after all, we all actually work for a living.
    You will more often be attacked for what others think you believe than what you actually believe. Expect misrepresentation, misunderstanding, and projection as the modern normal default setting. ~ Quintus Curtius

If I don't have training to manipulate the controls properly,learn and know the laws and pass a certification, then I cannot drive a big rig. If I don't go through training and etc then I cannot become a leo. If I cannot learn and display skills I sure won't be able to do surgery on your body or even give you something that might help your pain/issue without the certs required by society. I could go on and on with all the things we as a society require folks to do to accomplish the jobs necessary for life to continue. Not everyone can do each or every job. Maybe they lack skills,qualifications, whatever. In most things the answer is those folks need to go find and do what they are competent at but nowhere do we allow them to perform some task just because they want to. Leastways not if by having incompetence or even lack of skill in a job might harm other people. Fast forward to this thread, If I as a father take my children to a place to be educated, I expect just that. While we might have a difference of opinion of what that entails with regards to reading, writing, and math, (history also if I had my way) the one thing that will be non-negotiable is that my children must be as safe as humanly possible. Their teachers must without regard to their own wishes have the ability, skills and competence to perform every facet of those children's needs and SAFETY, while in their care. Teachers in today's world should be required to be armed,trained, and capable, period. I don't like it as I know teachers that having a gun is the last thing I want, and I know many good ones who would have to do something else if they had to know firearms to teach. However, if I can't trust my child's teacher to defend their lives as well as their own, then do I REALLY want them imparting their version of the knowledge needed to become productive members of society? If they truly can't/won't accept the reality of the world they live in today, then I cannot help but question their competency in all of their teaching. Will armed teachers stop ALL of this nonsense? No, I agree that probably won't happen. Will unarmed teachers ever stop the nonsense when/if it happens in their own class? Democrat/Republican,whatever. Like guns, hate guns, whatever. I have my opinions just like anyone else, but the real truth is that unless each teacher in each class is qualified to provide safety for their charges then they are not qualified to teach anything for pay to anyone. Just like the electrician working on your house must be qualified not to burn your house down or electrocute you, your kid's teachers MUST be able to protect them from crazy people with guns. Got something better well let's hear it. I am not interested in why this cannot be done, I want to know what can be done, and letting the teaching profession sidestep this issue because they don't want to be able to defend themselves and the kids? That is unacceptable.

You can't win by playing their game. It's their house, their rules, their deck, their dealers, and they will flat out cheat.

So, you go outside and play a different game.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

User Tag List