Thread: Cheap Simplex Safe

Cheap Simplex Safe

Just picked up this Simplex Safe for a pretty good steal. It's pretty heavy duty and was only $50.

These are the sellers pictures. He said he picked up two of them from the local sheriffs office a few years ago, but got a new safe now.

Name:  Simplex.jpg
Views: 781
Size:  45.6 KBName:  Simplex 2.jpg
Views: 777
Size:  42.7 KBName:  Simplex 3.jpg
Views: 817
Size:  34.4 KB

I just got it home. It's a bit rough, it's probably going to get a pretty thorough cleaning and maybe some paint. I'm happy with my purchase.

It seems to have a little Velcro holster that is held in place by two pieces of metal that stick out from the lid. I might have to change that up to get it to work with a larger pistol with light. At the moment that means my G17 and in the future a railed Beretta 92. I think it has to sit in this type of vertical orientation for the lid to open, although laying flat horizontal may work as well.

I'm not sure exactly how I'm going to integrate this into my bedroom, or how this might change other parts of my home defense plan. But honestly, I thought a solid simplex safe for $50 bucks (he was asking $65) was to good to pass up.

-Cory

Site Supporter
    I was looking a simplex pistol boxes on Amazon last week and then run up to ~$300. Getting that for $50 strikes me as a great deal.

Nice find.

I am looking for but have yet to find a simplex lock, box safe around 0.5 cu ft size. Something that would hold around 4 compact/full size pistols and some ammo. For some odd reason this doesn't seem to exist in the market place, or perhaps I don't know where to look.

It looks somewhat like the FAS1 handgun safes. I've had one for three to four years now and it is built very well. 3/16" steel all the way around with a Simplex lock. Ft. Knox makes similar ones but with less steel, if I recall correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Jones View Post
    That amount of stuff in half a cubic foot sounds awfully crowded -- not that it wouldn't all fit, it seems like it would be a pain in the ass. It's "much" bigger at almost 8 cu ft, but if I wanted something like you are describing, I'd go with a 20" version of the Ft. Knox Cab Security Box. Which is, admittedly, a lot bigger than what you want and probably not a terribly useful suggestion, but it's the best I can do.
    Thanks Tom.

That might actually work. For whatever reason I’ve not seen that model before.

I’ll run it by SWMBO and see if it’s in the budget.

Thanks again.

Site Supporter
    I have a vline rifle locker . Simplex lock. I like it. Currently it is mounted on a wall but at one time I had mounted horizontally. It worked great for storing a shotgun and several pistols

Instagram cut off the video, so it isn't full length. But here is a video that shows I got my JM Custom Kydex Wingclaw 2.5 to fit in the safe.

http://instagram.com/p/Bi8F9QznfH6GSq8MmwVBlaxPdh_s05QLw0YRFc0/

-Cory
    Last edited by Cory; 05-19-2018 at 02:04 PM.

User Tag List