Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Promotion test

Promotion test

Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    Do departments check out applicants' social media posts?
    Probably most do today. It can save a lot of time weeding out applicants before a proper background check
    Last edited by BobM; 06-03-2018 at 06:01 AM.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    Do departments check out applicants' social media posts?
    Yes and no. I'm sure the department monitors, or at least takes complaints on, things people post because people have gotten disciplined for it. It's not a direct part of promotion tests for us, though, other than if you got suspended you'd lose points. Essentially the point system is X points for written, X points for oral, X points for longevity and "integrity". Suspension days hurts your "integrity" score.

For applicants as in new recruits, I'd figure it's part of the background check process but I've no first hand experience there.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

As Jack Reacher said, "Remember, you asked for this."

As #5 on a three year test you should be good to go. We had lawsuits now and then that held up hiring/promotions, but none lasted three years. So congrats! It looks like you'll be getting stripes sewn on soon.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    As Jack Reacher said, "Remember, you asked for this."

As #5 on a three year test you should be good to go. We had lawsuits now and then that held up hiring/promotions, but none lasted three years. So congrats! It looks like you'll be getting stripes sewn on soon.
    I know, I know. And I've been a big waffler on if I should or not. It's time, though.

Our department has historically promoted anyway, then if the lawsuits win they get promoted as well.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Preliminary results were sent out today. The final results won't be approved until merit board meets next week, and there's some folks who took the test in uniform which they weren't supposed to do. It's unknown what will happen to their scores.

I am #5 on the list of a bit over 150. I complied with all dress code and ID requirements, so I don't think I can move except up. They normally take 10-15 at a time, so I should go whenever merit board decides to promote a round, although I have no idea when that will be. The list lasts for 3 years, though, so I'm almost certain to get promoted.
    That is awesome, congratulations! I'm guessing it won't be long before you're promoted. Hopefully they'll remove you from the rotation so you don't catch any new cases and you can finish up what you have pending before you leave.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    There's a certain allure to having no on-call time, etc. and being a street sergeant for awhile.
    Looking back, the 5 years I spent as a patrol Sgt were the most enjoyable.

Sometimes, it doesn't seem like it in the moment so try to keep a solid perspective. FWIW, all the higher ups I worked for said the same thing, patrol Sgt years were among the best.

When I first came on, I always knew I would not just be a worker bee. I wanted to climb the ladder. The I saw the big picture.

I saw what a supervisor does, I wanted no part of it. Case file review, car receipts, leave disputes, "have you done your on line sexual harassment course", "where are your receipts for parking". It is just a sea of paperwork and admin tasking in our agency.

If I hadn't steeped on my own dick a few times, even if I hadn't been looked down on by management for being INS, even if I hadn't told certain people to "go fuck themselves" when we were both agents/equals and then that person was now promoted over me... I still don't think I would ever want the promotion.

Right now, my headaches are my own problem. As a Group Supervisor, 10 to 12 other peoples headaches would be mine too.
    Last edited by Gadfly; 06-04-2018 at 02:07 PM.
    “A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.” - Shane

Quote Originally Posted by Gadfly View Post
    When I first came on, I always knew I would not just be a worker bee. I wanted to climb the ladder. The I saw the big picture.

I saw what a supervisor does, I wanted no part of it. Case file review, car receipts, leave disputes, "have you done your on line sexual harassment course", "where are your receipts for parking". It is just a sea of paperwork and admin tasking in our agency.

If I hadn't steeped on my own dick a few times, even if I hadn't been looked down on by management for being INS, even if I hadn't told certain people to "go fuck themselves" when we were both agents/equals and then that person was now promoted over me... I still don't think I would ever want the promotion.

Right now, my headaches are my own problem. As a Group Supervisor, 10 to 12 other peoples headaches would be mine too.
    Preach it brother!

Interestingly enough, though I know the particular supe you clashed with, (and I can definitely understand how and why), in Miami it was the legacy Customs guys that were the redheaded stepchildren.

(Thankfully, I anticipated as much and left before the miscegenation was fully realized. I had enough trouble with my own management. LOL.)
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by Gadfly View Post

All of this, and, for my agency, there's (a) no pay raise (we're Journeyman GS13s, and Supervisory Special Agent GS13s - so I make a significant chunk more as a "senior" agent than my SSA). Also, SSAs are treated like poop when it comes to mobility - if there's a vacancy in Shitsville and you've been happily and effectively in place somewhere else for 2 years or more - you're moving to Shitsville whether you want to or not.

I dropped out of management when one of our SESers let my SAC know I was going to be forced moved somewhere I didn't want to take my family - of course, they force transferred me anyway, but at least now I only have to worry about my own crap...

Quote Originally Posted by psalms144.1 View Post
    All of this, and, for my agency, there's (a) no pay raise (we're Journeyman GS13s, and Supervisory Special Agent GS13s - so I make a significant chunk more as a "senior" agent than my SSA). Also, SSAs are treated like poop when it comes to mobility - if there's a vacancy in Shitsville and you've been happily and effectively in place somewhere else for 2 years or more - you're moving to Shitsville whether you want to or not.

I dropped out of management when one of our SESers let my SAC know I was going to be forced moved somewhere I didn't want to take my family - of course, they force transferred me anyway, but at least now I only have to worry about my own crap...
    Back when we had the opportunity to put in request for posts of duty, I always put what I didn't want first...and what I really wanted third.

The system never failed me. "Oh, we're really sorry we couldn't give you your first choice, hopefully you'll be okay with #3." "I'll manage. Thanks."
    There's nothing civil about this war.

User Tag List