Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Promotion test

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    I think I can do some good as a sergeant.
    And that, in our world, is the very best reason for taking a promotion. We've all seen examples of poor supervisors on the job, so if you can do it right, take care of your guys, and set a positive example, you're the guy that should get the stripes.

I only know BBI’s a little but he wouid make an outstanding supervisor. Good luck!

SWAT and K9 are the reasons I never tested. It’s hard to give up supervising a dog.
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

Quote Originally Posted by Coyotesfan97 View Post
    SWAT and K9 are the reasons I never tested. It’s hard to give up supervising a dog.
    My department started allowing sergeants to stay on SWAT a few years ago because no one on the team would ever test. I wouldn’t have tested if they hadn’t changed it.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Regardless of the outcome, I'm satisfied with how I presented myself and have no regrets on how I prepared, approached it, etc.
    Right there, I think, is a good definition of character: (a) doing the best one can with the tools available, (b) so there are no regrets afterwards. Sadly, those qualities are not as common as one would hope.
    Last edited by Duces Tecum; 05-19-2018 at 10:27 AM. Reason: Speling

I recall the preparation sessions, written tests and assessment centers as being a bit of a pain in the ass. It was worth it though. The promotional process in no way guarantees the most qualified candidate will be promoted, as the process can be somewhat nuanced and scored subjectively in certain areas (I was selected to be an assessor for three different agencies nationwide during my career and got a glimpse into the process from the other side). That said, most professional agencies have a good promotional system in place, about as good as can be expected given the circumstances. I'm sure yours does.

IMO being a sergeant is the hardest job on the police department (if done correctly) and definitely one of the most important. Congratulations on completing the process, feeling good about it, and I hope you receive good news soon. Please let us know how it turns out. Good luck!

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Preliminary results were sent out today. The final results won't be approved until merit board meets next week, and there's some folks who took the test in uniform which they weren't supposed to do. It's unknown what will happen to their scores.

I am #5 on the list of a bit over 150. I complied with all dress code and ID requirements, so I don't think I can move except up. They normally take 10-15 at a time, so I should go whenever merit board decides to promote a round, although I have no idea when that will be. The list lasts for 3 years, though, so I'm almost certain to get promoted.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Congrats (in advance), BBI. I hope you'll receive an assignment you'll thrive in.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Well done, congratulations.

Site Supporter
    That’s great, BBI. I’m really glad to hear it.

User Tag List