Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Promotion test

My brushes with OPR (internal affairs), and my personality preclude my getting promoted if I wanted to, thankfully, I no longer want to.

Not to mention, the mandatory moves. Want to be a supervisor? Two years minimum at HQ in DC. After DC, you might get sent back to your home city, or you might get told “NYC, or Provo Utah, we need an answer in 48 hours. Oh, you are from Texas and want to go back home near your family? Hmmmm, how about Seattle?” Screw that. Why rip my kids out of school, make my wife quit her job, leave our extended family so I can make $8k a year more?

Think about the personality it takes to say, “honey, I know you just got promoted at your job, but if I want to promote, you have to quit your job and come to DC with me. Oh Little Johnny just made starting pitcher on his JV team? Well, he has to quit. Oh Susie is head cheerleader and will probably prom queen? Well, tough, my aspirations outweigh her happiness. She has to break up with her boyfriend of 3 years too? Who cares? It’s all about me.. Me. MEEEE!” THAT is the type that get promoted in our agency. And it shows.

I realize for locals it’s a different situation. Worst case there you get moved across town and simply increases the commute. I guess in the military the same thing happens. But since I have a choice, I choose to not uproot the family every 3 years.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    “A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.” - Shane

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gadfly View Post
    When I first came on, I always knew I would not just be a worker bee. I wanted to climb the ladder. The I saw the big picture.
    I was the exact opposite. I came on to be a patrol officer and be the police. Then injuries and a nasty fight resulting in an in-custody death had me thinking maybe time to try something new, so detective.

The biggest reason I put in for sergeant was because I saw the difference a good supervisor and a bad supervisor made, and a bit of self-preservation as I saw them go pretty far down the last list and start seeing people I *know* are goofs and I don't want to end up working for.

I will, without a doubt, put in for LT when I have enough time in rank to do so. I suspect that's where I'll top out, though, I plan to retire before I could realistically make captain.

*edit*

Oh, and the constant moves, or threat thereof, was a huge motivator for me not to seek a federal position. I got enough of that shit in the military/contracting. I wasn't even real interested in state police for the same reason (plus they make less than us, and the hats are goofy).
    Last edited by BehindBlueI's; 06-04-2018 at 05:34 PM.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Some people were kicked for not following directions, but none high enough to affect me. I'm officially #5 on the list. The rumor mill is cranking out rumors that promotions are in 2 weeks, not until November, etc. Who knows.

Today I cleaned out a bunch of old case files, started bringing home some of my coffee cup collection, and most importantly gave all of my training packets and DTO paperwork to the day-shift sergeant to redistribute to whoever they decide to replace me with as a training officer. I'm available for "train the trainer" type stuff until I leave, but am asking to not take any new trainees.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    I'm reaching out to a certain district. I have a hunch I might get asked back into Investigations pretty quick, but I don't know for sure or if I want it. There's a certain allure to having no on-call time, etc. and being a street sergeant for awhile.
    You definitely should do some street time as a Sergeant for the experience, but the detective/investigations sergeant is the best job in law enforcement IMHO. I loved being able to pick and choose what cases to work on while it was a given that you would get to work the “good” ones. Being a Det. Lieutenant was not too bad, basically the sergeant’s job without case work, unpaid OT and more admin paperwork. Patrol Lieutenant/Watch Commander was no fun at all.
    Last edited by LtDave; 06-07-2018 at 07:04 PM.
    The first indication a bad guy should have that I'm dangerous is when his
    disembodied soul is looking down at his own corpse wondering what happened.

Quote Originally Posted by LtDave View Post
    You definitely should do some street time as a Sergeant for the experience, but the detective/investigations sergeant is the best job in law enforcement IMHO. I loved being able to pick and choose what cases to work on while it was a given that you would get to work the “good” ones. Being a Det. Lieutenant was not too bad, basically the sergeant’s job without case work, unpaid OT and more admin paperwork. Patrol Lieutenant/Watch Commander was no fun at all.
    I'm in no rush to get back into Investigations. If the range sergeant slot opens up, I'll put in for that. Else, I'm going to hang out on the street for awhile, then maybe try to slide into a booking sergeant gig as I get closer to retirement. I think I already mentioned it, but I intend to take the LT test first chance I get, no reason to go into invest just to get bounced right back out again. If I don't make LT first go round, then I'll start thinking about what to do next, but I intend to retire before being eligible for CPT.

I am back on the street this coming Saturday, and I got my second choice for my assignment. Getting promoted is expensive. I'm about $450 into new leather, brass, and patches so far.

I am back on the street this coming Saturday, and I got my second choice for my assignment. Getting promoted is expensive. I'm about $450 into new leather, brass, and patches so far.
    Congrats and good luck. LE needs all the good leaders we can get.

I never put in for promotion for a variety of reasons. The first half of my career I worked for a chain of command that was openly hostile to me. When I was chosen for SWAT they cried foul, likewise when I became an academy instructor. Those decisions were made above the level of my then Captain or they never would have happened. The fact those decisions were made above their head made it even worse. I knew I was never going to get anywhere under that Lt. and Capt. Then, when I transferred to my current assignment about twelve years ago it was a completely different situation regarding command structure. However, the issues became financial. Taking a Lieutenants promotion outside of my division would have been a pay cut and hell with that. I also looked at the people my agency tends to promote and decided I just didn't want to be numbered among them. A new Lieutenants position recently came open in my division and since the pay raise was miniscule and the responsibilities were far more inconvenient, I decided to pass. Of course, that means I now have a new Lieutenant I'll meet for the first time when I go to work tonight. He'll be the deciding factor as to whether I retire next month or stick around until December.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Site Supporter
    Congratulations, BBI.
    I’ll miss the insights that come from your investigations.
    But I’m truly happy to see you move up.

Way to go, BBI. Congrats.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Congratulations. I dropped a lot of coin the last time going back to uniform. I feel the pain.
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

User Tag List