Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Promotion test

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar

Promotion test

I did my oral boards today and, honestly, I think I did pretty well. More importantly, I think I represented myself well and did as well as I could in the parameters I had. While I can't comment on anything specifically due to confidentiality agreement I'll say none of the scenarios or questions surprised me in the least and were almost all things I had prepared for ahead of time. Unlike the written test, I also think it evaluated things that are important for a sergeant to know and to understand how to do.

Regardless of the outcome, I'm satisfied with how I presented myself and have no regrets on how I prepared, approached it, etc.

It'll probably be a few weeks before we know any results.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Good luck, brother. I'm sure that you did very well.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    I’m pleased to hear it, BBI.
    I hope the board can properly recognize a good candidate.

Good luck - we’re pulling for you.

Good luck, BBI. Wherever you end up, they'll be fortunate to have you.
    Last edited by blues; 05-16-2018 at 07:00 PM.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Good luck, if that's what you want.

I got promoted almost a year ago. I half-jokingly say it's the biggest mistake I've ever made. I really miss working cases. I'm liking it a little more as time goes on, but only a little.

Edited to add: When I got promoted, I was placed over our narcotics unit, which is the unit I had been working in for years. It's very rare here to get promoted and not be moved. So, I ended up supervising my buddies, which can be difficult. Luckily, my unit is made up of hard working, seasoned detectives, so it hasn't been real bad. I do find it fulfilling to take care of my guys, help them with cases, stick up for them, etc, which I think are some of the most important duties of a sergeant.
    Last edited by TC215; 05-16-2018 at 07:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TC215 View Post

I got promoted almost a year ago. I half-jokingly say it's the biggest mistake I've ever made. I really miss working cases. I'm liking it a little more as time goes on, but only a little.

Edited to add: When I got promoted, I was placed over our narcotics unit, which is the unit I had been working in for years. It's very rare here to get promoted and not be moved. So, I ended up supervising my buddies, which can be difficult. Luckily, my unit is made up of hard working, seasoned detectives, so it hasn't been real bad. I do find it fulfilling to take care of my guys, help them with cases, stick up for them, etc, which I think are some of the most important duties of a sergeant.
    I've definitely been of two minds about it, as I detailed in the Roll Call thread. However, I've (almost 100%) decided to take the promotion if offered. When prepping for the scenarios, I figured that "why do you want to be a sergeant" would come up at some point. Thinking about it, how my current sergeant and peers are advocating for me, and thinking of the leadership (good and bad) I've had over the years I think I can do some good as a sergeant. I can probably get back into investigations pretty quickly if I want, but I wouldn't mind some time back on the street in the slightest.

I actually mentioned a former DC who was head of Investigations, who was unfortunately killed in car crash, and his leadership style as a catalyst for me seeking promotion. If I accomplish nothing else, I can push his legacy forward a bit.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TC215 View Post

My experience is you don’t really supervise crews like that, you sort of herd them in the general direction you want them to go and they make it happen.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    I've definitely been of two minds about it, as I detailed in the Roll Call thread. However, I've (almost 100%) decided to take the promotion if offered. When prepping for the scenarios, I figured that "why do you want to be a sergeant" would come up at some point. Thinking about it, how my current sergeant and peers are advocating for me, and thinking of the leadership (good and bad) I've had over the years I think I can do some good as a sergeant. I can probably get back into investigations pretty quickly if I want, but I wouldn't mind some time back on the street in the slightest.

I actually mentioned a former DC who was head of Investigations, who was unfortunately killed in car crash, and his leadership style as a catalyst for me seeking promotion. If I accomplish nothing else, I can push his legacy forward a bit.
    Hope you get what you want. In the G being even a first line supervisor normally means being chained to a desk. From what I have seen in local PD /SO that doesn’t happen so completely until Lt. or higher, depending on the shift.

The FBI is a little different. They have an “up or out” system. You promote to first line supervisor and you have 7 years to promote or return to being a line agent. It was put in place after 9/11 and is unpopular.
    Last edited by HCM; 05-16-2018 at 09:40 PM.

For us, it depends. Homicide & Robbery, sergeants are Det-Sgt and take cases. Sex Crimes they don't, just oversee case files for detectives. Different units do it different. Once you hit LT, you're pretty much done with case work. Street LTs seem to have a bit more freedom in doing "cop stuff" when not in admin duties. Field captains...I'm actually not sure what a field captain does, so it's probably the best gig on the department.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    My experience is you don’t really supervise crews like that, you sort of herd them in the general direction you want them to go and they make it happen.
    Yep, that's pretty much it. Makes my job easy, really. The bulk of my stress comes from above.

User Tag List