Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: My warm blankie has a big hole in it - Google staffers rebel at AI assistance for DoD

Heaven forbid that the DOD would ever leverage technology that could reduce collateral damage, because that's what a program like this would really be useful. I'm not a drone operator, but one of the biggest reported human related problems is the inability to view the entire battlefield. Too much information to process and too narrow of a view through a camera. I can see a lot more good coming from a program like this than nefarious deeds.
    Whether you think you can or you can't, you're probably right.

Quote Originally Posted by GardoneVT View Post
    Any tool from a claw hammer all the way up to a sentient quantum computer can be used to damage American civil rights. I’m confident AI tech will be used as other technologies today are, as in activities which are well within the bounds of our Constitution.
    My comment stands. I mean I guess I'm probably crazy to think that anyone would ignore civil rights while advancing a new technology, fighting crime, or in the name of national security. That's just crazy talk, right?

"“We have great respect for the professionals at the FBI, and we believe their intentions are good,” Apple chief executive Tim Cook said in a strongly worded open letter posted late Tuesday on the company’s website.

“Up to this point, we have done everything that is both within our power and within the law to help them,” it continued. “But now the U.S. government has asked us for something we simply do not have, and something we consider too dangerous to create. They have asked us to build a backdoor to the iPhone.”"

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...=.5fa7f1d82bcf

"Law enforcement agencies would face new restrictions on using no-knock warrants under legislation to be introduced in the Georgia House on Thursday.

The bill comes seven months after at 19-month-old was severely wounded when Habersham County sheriff’s deputies executed a no-knock warrant at 3 a.m. A flash stun grenade was tossed into the playpen where the child was sleeping."

https://www.ajc.com/news/state--regi...M910KnaFFDsiI/

"
    "While it contains provisions that we support, the American Civil Liberties Union believes that the USA PATRIOT Act gives the Attorney General and federal law enforcement unnecessary and permanent new powers to violate civil liberties that go far beyond the stated goal of fighting international terrorism. These new and unchecked powers could be used against American citizens who are not under criminal investigation, immigrants who are here within our borders legally, and also against those whose First Amendment activities are deemed to be threats to national security by the Attorney General."

Oct. 23, 2001 - American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU)"

https://aclu.procon.org/view.answers...stionID=000716

...and so forth and so on.
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeler View Post
    My comment stands. I mean I guess I'm probably crazy to think that anyone would ignore civil rights while advancing a new technology, fighting crime, or in the name of national security. That's just crazy talk, right?

"“We have great respect for the professionals at the FBI, and we believe their intentions are good,” Apple chief executive Tim Cook said in a strongly worded open letter posted late Tuesday on the company’s website.

“Up to this point, we have done everything that is both within our power and within the law to help them,” it continued. “But now the U.S. government has asked us for something we simply do not have, and something we consider too dangerous to create. They have asked us to build a backdoor to the iPhone.”"

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...=.5fa7f1d82bcf

"Law enforcement agencies would face new restrictions on using no-knock warrants under legislation to be introduced in the Georgia House on Thursday.

The bill comes seven months after at 19-month-old was severely wounded when Habersham County sheriff’s deputies executed a no-knock warrant at 3 a.m. A flash stun grenade was tossed into the playpen where the child was sleeping."

https://www.ajc.com/news/state--regi...M910KnaFFDsiI/

"
    "While it contains provisions that we support, the American Civil Liberties Union believes that the USA PATRIOT Act gives the Attorney General and federal law enforcement unnecessary and permanent new powers to violate civil liberties that go far beyond the stated goal of fighting international terrorism. These new and unchecked powers could be used against American citizens who are not under criminal investigation, immigrants who are here within our borders legally, and also against those whose First Amendment activities are deemed to be threats to national security by the Attorney General."

Oct. 23, 2001 - American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU)"

https://aclu.procon.org/view.answers...stionID=000716

...and so forth and so on.
    I doubt Apple’s management gave a molecular fuck about safeguarding the privacy or rights of iPhone users. The unromantic and more likely reason Apple refused the Justice Departments request is they simply didn’t see the business value of complying ; there are a lot of iPhones in use ,and tasking people to build and validate a backdoor+ software update is a labor cost they’d like to avoid. Every hour a developer spends on remedial data tasks is an hour they’re not spending on the next generation product.For a business the size of Apple that’s a Big Number.

Insofar as the other concerns go; we cannot stunt our technogical growth in the name of a Civil Rights boogeyman. Like it or not commercial businesses and governments across the globe are already using this technology right now. That particular data genie isn’t just out of the bottle, he’s AirBnB’d it. Organizations who’ve used past and existing tech to negatively affect the civil rights of Americans were and are held accountable,and will be held accountable in the future.
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Computer nerds think that all things can be solved with math and algorithms.
    Their brain trust isn't that naive. Far from it. But they do perpetuate a cycle of failures because they disregard the core elements of classic success models, classic philosophy, etc. That's one of their Achille's heels. They're shocked every time they find themselves hole-istic... when they never developed holistic.

...AI does appear to be a bit of a pandora's box. I'm actively against certain AIs and believe power and CPU limits must be enforced. But...bi and quadripedal robots all have mechanical joints. And mechanical joints are susceptible to attack. And electronics are susceptible to water and EMP attacks, as well as fire and high explosives. Tracked robots are my biggest concern, but I think we can handle it.
    CPU and other AI limits are like gun control laws.

Who has the overwhelming manufacturing capacity to make drone swarms and controllers for AI-everything from desktop social robots to bulldozers? It's not the U.S.

Good luck fighting networked robots that never sleep, excel at limited tasks and whose mechanical ability is restricted to its component stress limits.

I doubt Apple’s management gave a molecular fuck about safeguarding the privacy or rights of iPhone users. The unromantic and more likely reason Apple refused the Justice Departments request is they simply didn’t see the business value of complying ; there are a lot of iPhones in use ,and tasking people to build and validate a backdoor+ software update is a labor cost they’d like to avoid. Every hour a developer spends on remedial data tasks is an hour they’re not spending on the next generation product.For a business the size of Apple that’s a Big Number.

Insofar as the other concerns go; we cannot stunt our technogical growth in the name of a Civil Rights boogeyman. Like it or not commercial businesses and governments across the globe are already using this technology right now. That particular data genie isn’t just out of the bottle, he’s AirBnB’d it. Organizations who’ve used past and existing tech to negatively affect the civil rights of Americans were and are held accountable,and will be held accountable in the future.
    Scratching my head on this. Apple does take privacy seriously and a backdoor is about as difficult as a battery slowdown fix...

If you’re not doing anything wrong you have nothing to fear...

I’d dearly like to know what a “molecular fuck” is and how it stacks up to a “flying fuck at a rolling doughnut.” As for the rest, it’s still slippery slope logic without appropriate oversight and consequences for misuse.
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeler View Post
    I’d dearly like to know what a “molecular fuck” is and how it stacks up to a “flying fuck at a rolling doughnut.”.
    While we're at it, can we examine the difference between metric and English fucktons?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by olstyn View Post
    While we're at it, can we examine the difference between metric and English fucktons?
    I believe that would be metric fucktonnes
    Polite Professional

Quote Originally Posted by olstyn View Post
    Double it and add 32... that's how we got metric beers.

Quote Originally Posted by Peally View Post
    Funny that it took this to make them leave, and not the 500,000 other things Google does to invade people's privacy and harvest data from them for its own gain.

Insert Obligatory "fuck Google" comment here. Reap what you sow motherfuckers.
    +1

Fuck Google, and the horse they rode in on.

User Tag List