Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: My warm blankie has a big hole in it - Google staffers rebel at AI assistance for DoD

Quote Originally Posted by GardoneVT View Post
    I see nothing in the operating history of foreign three letter agencies that lends me the notion any of them would respect American civil rights either.
    That's still slippery slope logic.
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

Site Supporter
    https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/a...nology-company

Military Contracts Are the Destiny of Every Major Technology Company
    Google said it won’t renew its Project Maven contract, but that doesn’t mean its leaving the war business.
    Last edited by HCM; 06-01-2018 at 09:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/a...nology-company

Military Contracts Are the Destiny of Every Major Technology Company
    Google said it won’t renew its Project Maven contract, but that doesn’t mean its leaving the war business.
    Painful to see a dangerously beautiful and powerful entity such as Google lobotomized by its own mental disease. But it cannot be avoided when you build towers of power on loose or false philosophical foundations. Every single one of them a Gail Wynand. And their staff only repeating the Oppenheimer cycle they so desperately and illogically think they can control.

That said I'm not sure I would want Google in bed with the military. Umbrella Corp pls. But someone will fill the gap$.

That article must have been torturous to the author. It was getting twisted toward the end.

"MIT Scientists Create 'Psychopath' AI Named Norman"
    http://fortune.com/2018/06/07/mit-psychopath-ai-norman/

MIT scientists’ newest artificial intelligence algorithm endeavor birthed a “psychopath” by the name of Norman.

Scientists, Pinar Yanardag, Manuel Cebrian, and Iyad Rahwan, exposed AI Norman, named after Anthony Perkins’ character in Alfred Hitchcock’s film Psycho, to a continuous stream of grisly Reddit images of gruesome deaths and violence.

After extended exposure to the darkest of subreddits, Norman was trained to perform image captioning so that the AI could produce image descriptions in writing about the Rorschach inkblot images that would follow.

The results of the inkblot tests revealed heinous interpretations of simple black-and-white splotches. Whereas a “normal” AI reported “a black and white photo of a small bird,” Norman captioned the inkblot as “man gets pulled into dough machine.”
    The experiment was not just some cruel trick to see who could create the real-life Norman Bates. The research actually set out to prove that AI algorithms can become biased based on the data they are given. In other words, Norman became a “psychopath” because his only exposure to the world was through a Reddit page.

The scientists concluded that when algorithms are accused of being biased — or spreading “fake news” — “the culprit is often not the algorithm itself but the biased data that was fed into it.”

FIFY

Quote Originally Posted by schüler View Post
    "MIT Scientists validate that feeding a computer garbage data results in garbage output "
    http://fortune.com/2018/06/07/mit-psychopath-ai-norman/
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

Quote Originally Posted by schüler View Post
    MIT Scientists Create 'Psychopath' AI
    Oh goodie. What ever could go wrong?

So, is it time for the "what caliber for Skynet" discussion yet?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
    Oh goodie. What ever could go wrong?

So, is it time for the "what caliber for Skynet" discussion yet?
    Phased plasma rifle in the 40 watt range. Duh ! That was settled back in the 80s.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Phased plasma rifle in the 40 watt range. Duh ! That was settled back in the 80s.
    40 watts would actually be the equivalent of a nerf ray gun.
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Site Supporter
    I would totally buy a nerf ray gun.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Drang View Post
    40 watts would actually be the equivalent of a nerf ray gun.
    Just what ya see here pal.

User Tag List