Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: PhillySoldier's 9mm Reloading

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    Why? You have plenty of room on D650 for separate seat and crimp dies as is usually recommended for autopistol loading.

My PPC Master friend loads 9mm with the Magnus/Zero "conical nose" JHP. I don't know whether he prefers 115 or 125 gr, though. I would lean 125.
    http://saas.shopsite.com/magnusbulle...-jacketed.html

My PhD friend shot a lot of .38 wadcutters. He concluded that a Coefficient of Variation (Standard deviation as a percentage of the average.) of 1% was very good.
    I have achieved that with heavy plated or jacketed bullets and fast powder in 9mm (147 + HP38.)
    Jim;

What load data are you using with HP38 and 147 gr bullets? I'm about to start trying 147 grainers with VV N320, but HP38 is a lot cheaper.

Also, what load is your PPC master friend using, if you happen to know?

Thanks.

The last 9mm I chronographed last August was a 147 gr Xtreme plated + 3.4 gr HP38
    906 fps in a Colt 1991A1
    926 fps in a Glock 34

I don't know what my PPC friend is loading but I bet it is an appropriate charge of Bullseye.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    The last 9mm I chronographed last August was a 147 gr Xtreme plated + 3.4 gr HP38
    906 fps in a Colt 1991A1
    926 fps in a Glock 34

I don't know what my PPC friend is loading but I bet it is an appropriate charge of Bullseye.
    Thanks.

Falling behind in updating this journal. I have went back and restarting my seating depth test using a Powder Charge weight of 5.8g and 20 rnds each of OAL's ranging from 1.06 to 1.15". The longest OAL seem to do the best. However I did have another variable change also and the results of which kinda surprised me.

For this test I happened to switch the brand of brass I was using from starline to blazer brass. Since it was all one brand and I had re-adjusted all the dies, I didnt expect it to have any impact. However my average shot group size increased by 0.8"; going from 1.3" to 2.1".

Since the seating depth test left me with a new longer OAL, I decided I would run yet another powder test to see if the original 5.8g charge was still optimal or not. The 5.8g charge still had best in the testing but the velocity was now lower than my first test. The highest charge I tested was still about 50 fps less than it was on the original test. Im happy w the overall results and kinda undecided if I should test it further; at least up the that original optimal velocity.

Having switched back to my original starline brass, my shot groups went back to there original averages of 1.3". Best rung of the day came in at 09" for the first shot group and 1.3" for the second for an average of 1.1".

Im still a bit stumped at how much the type of brass makes a difference. Overall though Im happy with the final testing and results. Power Pistol seems extremely accurate but im really not liking the kick to it. I regularly shoot 45 and 50ae, so not sure why a bit of kick from the 9mm would bother me. This may be a biased perception but I swear my recoil spring is looking a bit haggard too and I replaced it not too long ago.

I'd like to find a powder that is as accurate but a bit smoother. Thinking of trying titegroup or wsf for my next testing

Power Pistol is a nasty cracky blasty choice. It’s fallen out of favor locally but newer reloaders used to come to our indoor match with it and I could immediately identify it. Once they became aware and compared it to alternatives they inevitably changed.
    Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

Quote Originally Posted by GuanoLoco View Post
    Power Pistol is a nasty cracky blasty choice. It’s fallen out of favor locally but newer reloaders used to come to our indoor match with it and I could immediately identify it. Once they became aware and compared it to alternatives they inevitably changed.
    I completely agree. Now im curious how much of a fireball I can get with it out of my Desert Eagle

If you are driving for accuracy in 9mm (not sure why but whatever turns your crank) then why not try a premium powder like N320 (slightly faster) or N340 (slightly slower)?

Yes, it is more expensive, but you may not be worried about quantity.

Also, I find that Extreme Spread/SD falls with the faster powder as I load them hotter with most powders. In general the (faster) pistol powders seem to perform more consistently with respect to velocity at the top end of the pressure curve. This may or may not equate to smaller size groups, but I am guessing that it would. I don’t mess much with the slower 9mm powders as they are lesss suitable for my purposes.
    Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

Thanks, I'll take a look at that. And yeah no real reason other than reloading and testing is keeping me busy and I had an itch to see if I could find what mechanically works best out of each of my guns. Gonna stop by my LGS on the way home and see if they have any of the N320 or WSF in stock

Site Supporter
    I use 9mm, 124 FMJ, 4.8 WSF, mixed brass, any Small Pistol primer but usually S&B.

User Tag List