Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: PhillySoldier's 9mm Reloading

I've had good results with 6.0 Power Pistol and several different 115 grain JHP at 1.08 to 1.09 OAL. I once did an experiment with new Lapua, Lapua once fired and mixed range brass to see what difference it would make. Strangely, the mixed range brass shot best. Another couple of loads that have shot well with 115 grain bullets in several different guns are 4.5 grains of Bullseye and 6.1 grains of WSF. The WSF load is likely +P and is the one I did the brass experiment with.
    The first indication a bad guy should have that I'm dangerous is when his
    disembodied soul is looking down at his own corpse wondering what happened.

Looking forward to trying both powders in the future. Ive read good things about wsf

Quote Originally Posted by PhillySoldier View Post
    Instead of experimenting further with full ladder tests above the above, I went in a different direction to try something new.
    This is the first time I've read about ladder testing for pistol. Interesting. I like HP38 and Universal for 9mm.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    He concluded that a Coefficient of Variation (Standard deviation as a percentage of the average.) of 1% was very good.
    You're in the range of 1000 FPS +/- a little with most 124 gr and up 9mm loads, so 1% would mean you're looking for 10 FPS or under SD. That matches up with the best results I've been able to get with VV N320. I don't have the numbers in front of me, but I've definitely seen SD in the single digit range before.

Quote Originally Posted by sparkyv View Post
    This is the first time I've read about ladder testing for pistol. Interesting. I like HP38 and Universal for 9mm.
    Yes Im probably using the incorrect terminology. I guess it would be considered more of an OCW test than ladder. Priority for the testing is finding the best shot groups. The node Im looking for is for similar shot groups across 3 different charges. This way I can load in the middle of that on the progressive and even if the powder thrower is off +/- 0.1g it shouldnt alter the shot groups greatly
    Last edited by PhillySoldier; 06-20-2018 at 05:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by olstyn View Post
    You're in the range of 1000 FPS +/- a little with most 124 gr and up 9mm loads, so 1% would mean you're looking for 10 FPS or under SD. That matches up with the best results I've been able to get with VV N320. I don't have the numbers in front of me, but I've definitely seen SD in the single digit range before.
    Although I get in the single digits sometimes; my current average I would say is 11 SD. That is shooting a 115g projectile around 1,200 fps.
    Last edited by PhillySoldier; 06-20-2018 at 05:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by PhillySoldier View Post
    Although I get in the single digits sometimes; my current average I would say is 11 SD. That is shooting a 115g projectile around 1,200 fps.
    11 FPS SD is nothing to be sad about, and at 1200 FPS, is within the 1% that Jim Watson mentioned. Honestly I'm happy as long as I get down to 12 or 13 - single digits is just really nice. I'm loading primarily for USPSA, so my absolute, bare minimum with a 125 grain bullet is 1000 FPS, as that would be exactly 125 power factor. I target 1040 FPS as an average, and that way, if my SD is 12 or 13, the VAST majority of my rounds will be in the range of 1015-1065 FPS, which means that barring extremely statistically unlikely events, I won't have a problem at chrono.

Quote Originally Posted by olstyn View Post
    11 FPS SD is nothing to be sad about, and at 1200 FPS, is within the 1% that Jim Watson mentioned. Honestly I'm happy as long as I get down to 12 or 13 - single digits is just really nice. I'm loading primarily for USPSA, so my absolute, bare minimum with a 125 grain bullet is 1000 FPS, as that would be exactly 125 power factor. I target 1040 FPS as an average, and that way, if my SD is 12 or 13, the VAST majority of my rounds will be in the range of 1015-1065 FPS, which means that barring extremely statistically unlikely events, I won't have a problem at chrono.
    Not upset, specially now going by the 1 percent rule. I dont compete (though I would like to start in the future) but did try to mimic there reloading previously thinking they knew best. My reloading was based around a heavier grain projectile, keeping a 130 power factor and trying for the lowest SD possible. This I thought had great results at shorter distances of say 7-10 yards.

Since getting the ransom rest though, I found this wasnt actually best for accuracy. The same loads ive been using for a long time now were falling apart at longer distances and would average 5-6" groups at 25 yards. Previously I wouldve just thought that the limits of my shooting skills. Im now using a lighter projectile and hotter charges. And though it does have a bit more kick to it, it has greatly improved my unsupported groupings; both near and far distances.

I dont know if I wrote it on this board or not but after I finish testing out my current reloads, I want to run a recoil test on the ransom rest. Ive purchased varying weighted recoil springs (11lb, 15lb, 18lb) and also a recoil reducer. I want to measure exactly how far the different springs may push the gun back on the rest and also what effects it may have on the shot groups and accuracy

Nothing wrong with a low double digit SD with smokeless. To get down to the low single digits you’ll need blackpowder. ;-)
    The first indication a bad guy should have that I'm dangerous is when his
    disembodied soul is looking down at his own corpse wondering what happened.

I went to test different seating depths today. 20 rnds each from 1.06" to 1.15". Got half done then had a gun problem

With the ransom rest you first have to take the grips off before inserting it into there molded grip panels. This seems to cause a problem though in that my hammer pivot pin starts walking out without the grips holding it on place. I didnt notice it today till it completely came out of the gun, ending my session

Was easy enough to fix at home w an extra pair of handd to help me.

Hopefully will finish testing tomorrow

User Tag List